Alesis StudioDock

Forum for Apple iOS devices
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Alesis StudioDock

Post by Artemiy »

Septimo didn't mean making the whole production on the iPad, he meant that what you did on that track in general can be done by someone else.

I think this discussion should take in your track's comments, not here.
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Sammy, you're digging deeper than this discussion is asking for...

I'm just goin on what I hear instrumentally.. Of course you can do a lot more with a PC, like mastering and better mixing control on a dedicated DAW..Sure.. But you have to do that with every instrument..no? But when it come to actual music creation, there's not one instrument I hear in your music that can't be done over on the iOS.. Those drums? please..easily.. that bass? easily.. Those ambient sounds in the background? easily.. That violin? easily..

Can there be sounds that a PC can make that the ipad cannot? Possibly, but you didn't have any I heard in there to make the claim.. Instrumentally that is.. Mixing and mastering will have to wait a few years down the line I think.. but one thing is for certain, never have I seen a musical platform evolve so quickly as the iOS... This thing is speeding down the development highway.. And the software keeps getting better and better, much faster.. And now with the hardware to match?? So don't shut Mixing and mastering out totally just yet..it will get here... And maybe sooner than you think..

But that's not taking away at all from your music.. I rather enjoyed it..
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Artemiy.. You're exactly right, about my comment and about where this discussion should be...
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I finally found the perfect image to keep me out of these discussions.

That is one of the engineer walking around the studio whilst wirelessly tweeking the faders on his new console app with a big smile on his face like Artimey and Septimo seem to always have.

It's particularly absurd.

This StudioDock thing tho, it's interesting as connectivity/converters have always been an obvious oversight. I can't say Alesis is a brand that would give me much confidence in that regard, but at least we have a stepping off point.

Slightly oxymoronic as it may be, docking your iPad to a desk.

PS. I hope we can keep the opinions constructive, as soon as we start comparing 'instruments' we should remember it's all subjective and as such can be taken personally.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

dbijoux, I can imagine that 50 years ago you would have called anyone with an electric guitar an heretic :-)

It may be absurd to you, but musicians will use whatever they feel inspired with and whatever they can get great sounds out of. Doesn't matter if it's a Steinway or a circuit-bent door bell. It's called CREATIVITY and it's not known to have limits.

Except for your own limits, of course.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

BTW moving your buttocks around the studio is much better than making them sweat on the same chair. I also started to develop back pain until I got an iPad and started to move more around my place to sketch out ideas, plan stuff, do research etc.
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Hahahahaha! ;'D
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

LOL. Hendrix as heretic, Clapton, Townshend... dare you compare the peaPod to such magnificent greats?

Mind you, I have a Strat.

It's not that I expected you to understand the absurdity, but to somehow say this has anything to do with creativity.

I don't hold it against you, okay maybe a little, but it's all in good fun. ;-P
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Why do you call something you do not understand absurd?

Don't forget that Hendrix also had some magic tools in his arsenal. I am not talking about LSD, no - I mean the effects pedals.

Oh yess.... I can hear The Church of Audio proclaim them the work of Satan... "What? We have been fighting for purity of sound and now you want to DISTORT it? BURN HIM!!!!!!!"
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Could I elucidate my point better by saying the engineer was whistling too?

... do dee dooo deee doo deeee do.
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

BTW moving your buttocks around the studio is much better than making them sweat on the same chair…

I highly recommend a comfy blue blanket!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Uncle Grammar spoke well!!

Listen to him guys ;-)
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I play a little guitar. I also play a little bass ... and drums. I also do some singing. My main instrument would be the Grand Piano but I have to do with sinth keyboards. Weighted if you please.

I don't see me "playing" an iPad. I don't think that's really the point. But I see me using it as sound generator and/or controller of some kind with it's own way of user iterface. And for this, the StudioDock really brakes the barrier between the 2 worlds. The iPad can be used as a "tool" just like any other piece of gear we have in our studios.

I don't claim that my Fantom-G is enough for all I need. I will/would not claim an iPad would be enough. However it does bring a new perspective to the way we can make music and that is defenitely very exciting.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

However it does bring a new perspective to the way we can make music and that is defenitely very exciting.

Exactly!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Fully agree With V-CeeOh !!

It's exactly because of that why I'm thinking to get an iPad soon ;)-)