Apple just introduced iPad 2

Forum for Apple iOS devices
Artemiy
Site Admin

Apple just introduced iPad 2

Post by Artemiy »

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Dual-core processor sounds really great! It's also thinner and lighter, looks more slick than the outgoing model. But camera specs seem underwhelming (same as in iPod touch 4), and I am not sure about the controls offset from sides to the back. Overall it's a great upgrade though!
dbijoux

Re: Apple just introduced iPad 2

Post by dbijoux »

Hmm, dual core 1ghz. That's sort of impressive.

I still look forward to some integrated interface options. iPad 3, I believe is slated for holidays.

The new screen cover tho, starting to look like a netbook innit?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

If you have an iPad you will have some sort of a case anyway. I have the original one from Apple (black microfiber one), and it's great.

BTW if you mean a USB slot it's a matter of a dock adaptor (which I just bought - gonna try it with my USB MIDI controller soon!). Otherwise Apple insists that iPad is made for wireless life and if you'd own the device you'd clearly see why. It works perfectly as all apps rely on data sharing over the air (even if printing, and now there's AirPlay for audio/video...).
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Of course I don't have an iPad.

The camera adapter is what you're talking about? Yes, I look forward to hearing about that and how the MIDI controller works. I'm actually more interested in USB/Firewire/Lightpeak(ok that might be pushing it justalilbit). Until you can hook up an audio interface, I can't really take the iPad serious.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Who told you that you can't? iPad supports USB class compliant audio and MIDI devices. So if an audio interface doesn't require a driver, it will work with the iPad. BTW this is how most audio/MIDI docks are working, like those from Alesis and Akai.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I wasn't aware about audio, aside from the IK iDevices. I see now even some Roland products should work out of the box.

So it's a matter of time.

I'd still like to see native support without plugging a bulky adapter in. It's bad enough everything isn't just wireless and works magically(flawlessly).
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I wouldn't ever rely on wireless for MIDI or audio, I bet dropouts are inevitable, as it will likely happen in packets still (TCP/IP), not as a data stream (UDP).

Still if an adapter is what's holding you down... not sure why. I'll see by the weekend how bulky it is :-)
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

True. I love the idea of a wireless studio but really all these devices and dropouts is starting to make me think of old cordless phones.

The adapter is just an aside. iPads are still too expensive, so in the meantime I let you pioneers figure it out. ;-)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

I've just seen the iPAD2 VIDEO presentation from the Apple website.

Steve and "sus muchachos" have done a awesome job(s) LoL