HOLY S**T THIS IS HUGE!!! GarageBand on iPad!!!

Forum for Apple iOS devices
sishan

Re: HOLY S**T THIS IS HUGE!!! GarageBand on iPad!!!

Post by sishan »

which one is a reliable and trustworthy site to download the ios 4.2 firmware for ipad? I dont seem to find the download on apple site.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

dbijoux:

I am not sure it doesn't support MIDI - that would be very odd of Apple. As for plugins - well iOS doesn't support them as such, but it's not meant to be a replacement for desktop. All plugins were designed for the mouse anyway, developers would need to redo them for the touch interface.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

sishan:

All updates are from Apple, and in case of the iPad, they're downloaded within iTunes. When you have your iPad connected, you just press the "check for updates" button.
Kristijan

Post by Kristijan »

This is great!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

I've seen a small box between the guitar and the iPAD in one of the images, and I wonder what brand / Model that Audio adapter is...that would be interesting to know, as we can connect for ex Synths, if the adapter gives LINE level input.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Paulo, the best solution is to have a dock that works as a full-blown audio interface, not just a breakout cable that feeds the signal into iPad's mic input.
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

Artemiy wrote:Paulo, the best solution is to have a dock that works as a full-blown audio interface, not just a breakout cable that feeds the signal into iPad's mic input.
Hi Art,
I'm thinking of going with a new iPad 2 (32). Can you give some examples of the type of dock you recommend?
Cheers,
Jim
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

EJ, I don't have any kind of a dock so can't speak for or against any of them. I do have the camera connection kit and I am able to use my LPK-25 USB MIDI controller which is great. And since I am not recording anything into it, I am fine without an audio interface, the phones output is well enough.
jsepeta

Post by jsepeta »

i dunno. having the ability to sit on a bus or train or in the backseat of a car and develop your ideas in itunes is not a bad start.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

jsepeta wrote:i dunno. having the ability to sit on a bus or train or in the backseat of a car and develop your ideas in itunes is not a bad start.
Exactly! It's an ideal sketchpad. Not just for music, also for UI/graphics design, planning, etc. Hard to tell how much it influenced my creativity since I got it in October.
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

How about the iodock from Alesis. https://www.alesis.com/iodock
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

That iodock looks very interesting. My first impression was that it was well thought out and integrates the iPad nicely. My second impression is, What has Apple done? Their whole computer is about 1/3 the size of a fairly well designed audio interface!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Yes, the Alesis idock is exactly what I was looking for... an iPAD integrated with an AUDIO/MIDI Interface, so it can be used with an external MIDI devices/Keyboards.

In fact before I saw this, I was thinking about designing a kind of "workstation" integrating a Mac Mini, an iPAD, a keyboard Controller, a SonicCell and a DR-880 in the same "box"... mad idea, don't u think ? ;-)
jsepeta

Post by jsepeta »

$5 and no VST support? hello, it's only $5. if you want to run VST's there's always Cubase on your Mac or PC, $150+

the lack of MIDI is weird though. the IOS platform is still young, but we're starting to see cool hardware addons like this: pro-style audio ins/outs for your ipad.
http://alesis.com/iodock
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Nobody really knows about MIDI for sure. Gotta read the specs when it's out on the App Store on 11th.