My latest bunch of iPad music videos

Forum for Apple iOS devices
Artemiy
Site Admin

My latest bunch of iPad music videos

Post by Artemiy »

Hey guys,

just wanted you to check out these latest videos I did with music apps on the iPad.

Sunrizer on iPad - Sinevibes bank demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeRLboIef8c

GarageBand on iPad - "Space Battle"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAQjTGKdt1Y

GarageBand on iPad - "Diving Deeper"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3D4m4XY5ZY
Rodan

Re: My latest bunch of iPad music videos

Post by Rodan »

Hey Artemiy, this is interesting stuff, but I'm getting confused. You are recording Sunrizer in Garageband? Do you have two ipads? You can't run both at the same time, or am I getting hopelessly behind on what the ipad is capable of?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Rodan wrote:Hey Artemiy, this is interesting stuff, but I'm getting confused. You are recording Sunrizer in Garageband? Do you have two ipads? You can't run both at the same time, or am I getting hopelessly behind on what the ipad is capable of?
Rodan,
You can record your songs in Sunrizer! I believe that's what Artemiy did.

I've done a couple of Sunrizer recordings myself, just for the fun :-)
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

Hold on Artemiy, don't explain this yet. Let me see if I can figure it out myself using the clue that Paulo gave me.

1. Start by creating some riffs, or clips, or loops in Sunrizer and saving them.
2. Get into Garageband and import these loops.
3. Duplicate and embellish with additional tracks using Garageband.
4. Make a video and wow the clueless (me).

Looks like a plan, but with a lot of details left to be filled in by the student. Am I getting warm?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Rodan, it's all very simple :-)

Most apps on iPad now support multitasking, meaning you can switch between them quickly. Even if not, you don't need multitasking to accomplish what I did, because I used audio copy/paste between them.

In this particular case, if I use Sunrizer, iMS-20 or any other synth, it all ends up as audio tracks in GarageBand, this is how it's done. Depending on the synth's design, you either record in realtime or use "bounce pattern", then you copy the end audio file, open GB, and paste it there.
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

Thanks, Artemiy. As you say, it is simple. I guess I don't take enough time to figure things out. "Audio copy" is the secret.

As far as I can tell, the answer to my implied question is no, Sunrizer and Garageband are not running simultaneously, at least not in the sense that one might be listening to itunes and running a second app simultaneously with iOS multitasking.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Rodan, with some apps you can indeed have them running both at the same time, i.e. start your project in GarageBand and then play Sunrizer over it. I just think my first-gen iPad doesn't have enough juice to do so, although I never tried.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Cool stuff Art! I like the JP-8000 styling of the Sunrizer synth. Good sounds. Do you use any of your FG6 or VGT as controllers for your iPad? I'm still hoping Apple will release Mainstage on the iPad. If they already have Garageband there...

I dug your MS-20 videos too.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Artemiy wrote:Rodan, with some apps you can indeed have them running both at the same time, i.e. start your project in GarageBand and then play Sunrizer over it. I just think my first-gen iPad doesn't have enough juice to do so, although I never tried.
Nice videos Artemiy!!!

I've done that experiment on my iPAD2, but as soon as I call Sunrizer, GB immediately stops... it's one or the other, never both. :-(
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Leh173 wrote:Cool stuff Art! I like the JP-8000 styling of the Sunrizer synth. Good sounds. Do you use any of your FG6 or VGT as controllers for your iPad?
Glad you liked the videos, thanks! I presently don't have my Fantom-G or V-Synth here, gave them to a friend nearby who's doing a lot of production on them. I did use LPK-25 with the iPad but Akai's poor construction decisions made it break it's USB connector off the main board so it's dead now. I plan to get the new M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 once it's for sale in Europe, or maybe a more advanced, full-size controller.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Artemiy wrote:
Leh173 wrote:Cool stuff Art! I like the JP-8000 styling of the Sunrizer synth. Good sounds. Do you use any of your FG6 or VGT as controllers for your iPad?
Glad you liked the videos, thanks! I presently don't have my Fantom-G or V-Synth here, gave them to a friend nearby who's doing a lot of production on them. I did use LPK-25 with the iPad but Akai's poor construction decisions made it break it's USB connector off the main board so it's dead now. I plan to get the new M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 once it's for sale in Europe, or maybe a more advanced, full-size controller.
I use my old PCR-500 (edirol) and the new A-800Pro with it. I'm really happy that I can use my Roland Midi controllers with the iPad2.
;-)