iPad 4 and Roland A-88

Forum for Apple iOS devices
snab

iPad 4 and Roland A-88

Post by snab »

I am not sure if it's the right forum for this problem:
I just got the Roland A-88 midi keyboard - very nice.
I want to connect it to my iPad 4 (lightning), got the lightning to usb camera adaptor, which is supposed to work.
Unfortunately, iPad doesn't recognize the A-88, or rather, says this usb device is not supported (??)

(BTW, connecting a cheap evolution e-keys midi keyboard to iPad 4 works like a charm...)

Any suggestions how to solve the problem much appreciated.
Rodan

Re: iPad 4 and Roland A-88

Post by Rodan »

Welcome to the clan, snag.

I don't have an A-88, but I tried USB between a Jupiter-80 and iPad with lighting connector and a lightning to USB converter. Seems to just work without any special settings. So don't know what the problem might be, but looks like it should work. Don't give up.

Good Luck,
Rodan
sjudlick

Post by sjudlick »

The A-88 is bus powered. The iPads don't have enough output to power the keyboard. You need to to get a powered USB hub, connect the hub to the camera kit and iPad, then the hub to the controller with the USB cable provided with the A88.

If you use a computer, you don't need the powered hub.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I had a similar issue connecting my PCR-800 to my iPad and had to set the USB driver on my controller to "generic" so it would be compatible with my iPad. I see from this link that you need to do the same with the A-88. If you click on that link you will see that it says:

When using the A-88 with an iPad, switch the USB driver used by the A-88 to “GENERIC.”
Use the following procedure to make this setting....
abhikhurana

Post by abhikhurana »

Enjoy your Christmas with incredible unique gifts. Get gifts for your parents and gifts for your brother and sister this Christmas. gifts for sister