Problem connecting A49 to iPad

Forum for Apple iOS devices
JensWilkinson

Problem connecting A49 to iPad

Post by JensWilkinson »

I have been connecting an A49 to my iPad (mini 4), iOS 13.6.1, so latest version. I have always had some difficulties, and just wondered if I'm doing something wrong. Basically, I hook up the iPad to the camera adapter, plus it in, and then while holding down the S1 and S2 buttons on the keyboard (quite a feat of dexterity, actually), plus the USB from the A49 into the camera adapter. Sometimes the blue power light comes on, but maybe once out of ten times. With the computer, the blue light immediately comes on, so it's not (purely) a cable issue. But given the flakiness, it seems that it must be a connection problem. The iPad charges properly while plugged into the camera adapter, so that is working... I thought it might be a problem with the camera USB jack on the back of the A49, but it works fine when plugged into a computer. Maybe the problem is that my iPhone AC adapter isn't giving enough power?

Now I've made it worse, because I followed the suggestion to change the Advanced setting to - instead of +, and now it won't connect at all, even when I change the Advanced setting back to + and use the S1/S2 combination.
JensWilkinson

Re: Problem connecting A49 to iPad

Post by JensWilkinson »

Just an update: Nothing I did worked, so I ended getting an M-Audio Keystation49, and it works like a charm. The Roland Midi keyboards just seem not to like iPads very much.