PCM Sound Generator

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
dbijoux

PCM Sound Generator

Post by dbijoux »

From Roland Specs:

Sound Genera¿or Section
Virtual analog synthesizer sound generator (Number of part: 1)
(Oscillator + Filter + Amp + Envelopes + LFO) x 3

PCM sound generator (Number of parts: 15)

What is this PCM sound generator? I'm not sure I understand how this would work in conjunction with the VA synth. My only guess, looking at the board, is that maybe PCM has something to do with the VA waveform variations? Of course, that's a stab in the dark as I don't really get what the variations are either. Pixie dust?
knolan

Re: PCM Sound Generator

Post by knolan »

The PCM sounds are in a separate GM set. From what I've picked up, these are accessible via remote MIDI controller / sequencer only, not from the GAIA keyboard.

Given the GAIA's partial remit as an educational tool; I can understand this addition to the instrument. Roland have cited the use of the GAIA in music education; so one could imagine the GAIA acting as a GM sound source for MIDI file playback in a classroom environment while synth sounds are played from the GAIA itself. So this would be of use to schools/colleges on a tight budget with limited audio technology. The USB connectivity and computer audio interface capabilities of the GAIA are also a 'nod' in this direction.

I also suspect that the GM set being blocked from playing from the Keyboard is a strategic move by Roland to keep GAIA as a VA only for synthesists. Providing access to the GM set (likely to be a fairly ordinary and generic set of sounds) form the keyboard itself prevents confusion as to what GAIA is to synthesists. If playable form the keyboard, one could imagine a potential plethora of negative reactions on the poor quality of the GM set, and questions being asked about what GAIA is and what Roland were thinking.

If the case, this makes sense. GAIA is a new, small SH synth, and as such offers versatility across teaching and performing. To me it would have been great to have a selection of PCM sounds on the GAIA akin to the JD800 whose PCM set are a synthesists dream and not at all dated because unlike the Korg T3 from the same era for example, the JD800s PCM sounds are not trying to be accurate emulations of acoustic instruments but instead are a versatile set of sound fragments applicable to synthesizer sound design.

Having said that, there are still 21 VA oscillator types on GAIA so that's pretty versatile.

Kevin
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Thanks for the insight, it's the first I've heard the education perspective and it makes a lot of sense; for Roland, educators and users alike.
I AM

Post by I AM »

multitimbral?? 1 VA part + 15 GM !?!?!?

waiting for a dvd player from roland....
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

3 VA parts, but don't give them any fancy ideas. Although, the DVD could be V-Linkable!

BluRay + DJ Hero = FTW?
I AM

Post by I AM »

is there 3 VA parts... dbijoux, in your first post you said 1VA+15GM... just downloaded manual, the same is written there 1+15....
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Whoops... I was having dreams of DJ Hero. I meant 3 tones actually. 1 part is correct. Bloody confusing, maybe it will all go back to real analog someday, flowcharts and all!
I AM

Post by I AM »

yeah, real analog with phrase recorder, and 4 phrase audio loops, like on mc-09... that'd be awesome... at a cost of 15 GM parts...
francvania

Post by francvania »

The GAIA continues the educational approach that Roland started with the SH-201. The story started some years ago when Mr. Ikutaru Kakehashi (Roland founder) was visiting China. During that time he was talking to students and he saw a great potential for an entry-level synth that could teach the basic of synthesis and sound design. When he went back to Japan, he told about it to the R/D at Roland and soon the SH-201 was born. The concept continues with the GAIA. And if you notice the promo video of the Lucina, it shows clearly the idea of family entertainment with the V-drums. Roland is trying not only to reach the pro-level musicians, but a broader number of potential future musicians. I think the GAIA will sell very well. It's not only a synth for those learning keys and synthesis. It's a VA for those of us who cannot afford a V-Synth or a Virus, Nord or Prophet 08(myself included).
Scotty_

Post by Scotty_ »

Actually YOU CAN PLAY GM PARTS FROM THE GAIA KEYBOARD. Buried somewhere in the manual, it tells you how to access some PCM sounds.
whatthegaia

Post by whatthegaia »

Its simple: Page 18 of the manual:

"To put the instrument in a special mode in which it functions
as a PCM sound generator, hold down the [PRESET
PATCH] button while you press a NUMBER [1]–[8] button.
While in this mode, you can enjoy realistic instrumental
performances that take full advantage of the PCM sound
generator.
In this mode, the [PRESET PATCH] button will blink, and
you can select eight PCM sounds by pressing the NUMBER
[1]–[8] buttons.
* The sounds provided by the PCM sound generator are
read-only sounds. Although you will be able to perform
a limited amount of editing and carry out performances
that use effects (reverb), you won’t be able to save any of
the settings you make."
Scotty_

Post by Scotty_ »

So this gives access to only 8 PCM GM sounds - what about the other PCM sounds? Anyone know if they can be played from the Gaia?
fredforever

Post by fredforever »

Hi everyone,

The 8 PCM patches are completely independant of the GM patches.

In fact, you access the GM mode with all other channels than the one affected to the SH-01 system.

When you play the PCM sound (with PRESET button down and 1 to 8 key) you access with the MIDI channel affected to the SH-01 system, and YES you can play from another keyboard, there is even a function that allow to do as if it were played from the SH-01 keyboard or not. This isa a very important feature because imagine you have the phrase recorder running in REC mode. By playing on the SH-01 all is recorded (unless you put a rec filter or press again rec so that it lights : in this mode rec is suspended) and with an external keyboard not recognized as the SH-01 keyboard, you can play single notes that won't be recorded.
The same with the ARP : the keys played from external keyboard can be (or not) arpeggiated according to the same parameter.
To access this parameter : hold down CANCEL/SHIFT and V-LINK
then, hold down REC : if the ARPEGGIO button is lit, the external "remote" keyboard is handled as the SH-01 keybord. ; if not, it is not lit, to toggle the modes :press ARPEGGIO while REC is hold down.

To have a list of the PCM preset please see my post replying to the title "a silly question" in this very forum.
Scotty_

Post by Scotty_ »

Thanks Fred for clearing that up!