A silly question

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
phantrongvu

A silly question

Post by phantrongvu »

I'm very new to Synth stuff but is it possible to use SH-01 to create 'acoustic' sound like guitar, piano, sax?

thanks
PauloF

Re: A silly question

Post by PauloF »

A VA (Virtual Analogue) synth is not suitable for simulating that kind of instruments. A ROMpler (like the Fantoms) is much more suitable, although with a VA you can create sounds that are very difficult to obtain with a ROMpler.
Each one has his own use. All depends on what do you really need.
phantrongvu

Post by phantrongvu »

Thanks for your response. So I guess Virtual Analogue is mainly for Electro music, is it right?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Mainly yes, but I use my VA for symphonic type sounds too - Strings and PADs
Lead synths and Arps is my main use of a VA (in my case the V-synth XT).
I was considering the SH-01 for better/faster action when tweaking live.
The SH-01 is also very good to learn basic synthesis.

EDITED: But very limited in other aspects (I just learned from VC'S Gaia Review)
phantrongvu

Post by phantrongvu »

Thanks for quick response. As far as I know, SH-01 can just store up to 64 user patches, is it right? With 64 preset patches, SH-01 can only hold up to 128 patches?
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

...and just another 64 on USB memory.
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

With regards to acoustic sounding instruments, I think it's definitely possible to create "alternate" acoustic sounding instruments if your intention is not to be realistic. For example, back in the 80's there were lots of songs made with synth style acoustic instruments that helped to create a unique sound for bands. You could make your own "spin" on a rhodes sound and if you're lucky people may one day try to emulate that. On the other hand, if you're looking for the more realistic rhodes sound, you most likely will not get it on the SH-01 of course.

Another thing is that attempting to create acoustic sounds on a synth can help your programming and understanding of a synthesizer.

Romplers, Samplers, and of course the real deal are the best ways to achieve those realistic sounds. There are some boards like the Yamaha PLG150-VL that are instrument model synthesizers that do allow you to program acoustic sounds which are nice. The Korg EXB-Moss is another board. You could check something like that out if you want more flexibility.

Jim
Aerotype

Post by Aerotype »

One of the first things I plan to do when I get mine is try to make a Rhodes sounding patch. I think it won't be too hard with three stackable tones, of course it won't sound anywhere near as good as the real thing, but to be able to take that sound anywhere on a portable battery powered synth is a real plus!
fredforever

Post by fredforever »

Hi everyone,
There is no silly questions, only weird answers :)
There is in fact a very special feature in the SH-01 and I never saw anyone playing this in a video demo or what.
Maintain the PRESET key and press key 1 to 8 : you'll have PCM - very good quality IMHO - polyphonic sound -
here's the patch list:
1 = pipes
2 = strings
3 = brass
4 = cello
5 = trumpet
6 = sax
7 = voice - very velocity sensitive (tuuuuu - tuuu becomes taaah with more velocity)
8 = choir (aaaah / oooooh)
You can't modifiy anything except the reverb...
The SH-01 also includes a General Midi expander accessible by all other midi channel than the one affected to the "normal" synth.
Thus, some percs are available :)
The phrase recorder can be used with each of the 8 PCM patches but no GM sound.
vxfan

Post by vxfan »

I tried this and you can modify the sound with the sliders like filter, amp env etc. too bad more pcm sounds are not accessable from the panel like that.
fredforever

Post by fredforever »

You're right : I tried some little things and this is what works : LFO : none - OSC : none - FILTER : cutoff and resonance, the 5 sliders of envelope - AMP : all - EFFECTS : only reverb (on off and 4 controls) - DBEAM : all - KEY HOLD ok - MONO / POLY : both - PORTAMENTO : all - OCTAVE CHANGE : yes - ARPEGGIO : none - WRITE : no (as the documentation says, no mean to save a modified patch) PHRASE RECORDER : yes

Maybe you'll find some I missed.

It's really an amazing synth :)
kimu

Post by kimu »

quote:
1 = pipes
2 = strings
3 = brass
4 = cello
5 = trumpet
6 = sax
7 = voice - very velocity sensitive (tuuuuu - tuuu becomes taaah with more velocity)
8 = choir (aaaah / oooooh)

why not to put also a piano patch instead of ridiculous sax and trumpet patch... that would be really much useful imo