The Gaia reviewed

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
V-CeeOh

The Gaia reviewed

Post by V-CeeOh »

Back in Frankfurt, I was impressed by the sound quality of the Gaia. Despite all the background noise, I felt that Roland was able to build a very attractive, affordable and incredibly good sounding synth. After spending some more time with it now, I'm not deceived. So, does it sounds good ? Hell, yes. In the end that's what matters. But first things first so...

It looks plastic, it feels plastic, well it's plastic. A very good piece of it. You don't feel like playing a toy. I usually do a small test: pick up the keyboard from the side panels and then try to twist it (no, I never tried this on my G8 ;-)). Most of the times you get a sense of how rough the construction is. You can hardly twist the Gaia chassis. My XP-50 doesn't handle this so well,if l may say so . The Gaia will handle time well.
I'm not a fan of the black and white finish. I know it's fashioned look but if Roland made it in plain black with wood imitation side panels like the MicroKorg, it would be a killer for me. It definitely deserves a mod.

The overall feeling is enhanced by the quality of the keyboard, similar to the Juno-Di and also the new Lucina. Let me mention that "Keyboard Velocity" is set to OFF from factory. You can also set it to REAL. I thought this first unit was broken until I ... read the manual. Obviously this is not a professional keyboard but it is fare enough for regular use. On the other hand, I'll never get used to the size of it. 3 octaves is OK for a small solo sound but I just can't stand it for any other type of performance. This is not a flaw. I know that the SH-01 target is for beginners or to be used as second or third keyboard. But personally I would pay for at least another octave. I'll have to connect it to one of my other keyboards if I'll ever get one, which I eventually will. Also you can't split it. Well, after whining over the keyboard size this may seem ridiculous. I can't see my self playing one octave on the left and 2 on the right. But this would bring the SH-01 to another level although it probably would also bring issues with operation, assigning the 3 oscillators, EFX routing, probably needed more buttons, etc and most important probably a diferent price so I rather keep this way.

By the way, this is one of the few issues I've got with it. Although the panel layout is completely straightforward to any synth programming beginner, some of the functions are hidden behind button combinations. For example if you want to set TX Program Change On/Off you have to :
1. Hold down the [CANCEL/SHIFT] button and press the [V-LINK] button
2. Hold down the [PLAY/STOP] button and press the [PRESET PATCH] button for On (Button lit) or OFF (Button unlit).
3. Press the [CANCEL/SHIFT] button.
I think it's a little to much and I know you won't use these functions often but it will take a lot of time to memorize the steps to get there or at least you have to keep the user manual close.
On the other hand I find curious that there is no "global" Write Protection. This is handled per Patch so you can prevent from overwriting the patches you like most and discard the others. Protecting is as simple as pressing the [CANCEL/SHIFT] button and the number button of the patch. You'll lit the Write Protect locker.

The faders and knobs are also similar to the latest keyboards from Roland. No surprises there. Sometimes I got some difficulty to get the right value cause they're not smooth enough and the course is a little rough. We're not supposed to expect high end quality hardware although they are comfortable in use. A PC Editor would provide some help here (although you would loose the tweaking pleasure) but there is none. Just like there is no Librarian. So you're stucked with the 64 Preset, 64 Users (that, as usual are replicas of the Presets) and the 64 USB Memory patches. Unfortunately you are also stucked with just one Group of 64 Patches in the USB Memory and no way of adding more Groups so yes you'll waste a LOT of space in the drive.
Strangely enough , when you check the file on the USB drive you'll get F:\ROLAND\SH01:"SH01_PAT Fantom-G Librarian Document". Yes, it says "Fantom-G Librarian Document" and no, It does not work with the Fantom-G Librarian. It seems someone forgot to rename something.
V-CeeOh

Re: The Gaia reviewed

Post by V-CeeOh »

The 3 Tone structure is very powerful and you're rewarded with some interesting and unusual sounds for a synthesizer of this type and price. The 21 different available waves (7 types x 3 variations) for each tone are also responsible for this power. You obviously lack the warmth of a true analog synthesizer but still you're able to get some convincing, fat and crispy sounds. You're also able to pan Tones to add some spaciousness before adding the effects. Which, by the way, are nice and enough to give the finishing touch to sounds. There are basically 4 Groups of effects and you can only choose 1 effect from each Group. The 4th Group is Reverb and Low Boost. Although you can use Reverb AND Low Boost at the same time you have no control over Low Boost - just ON-OFF. I would not call this THE 5th effect in the effects chain like Roland advertises but anyway...
When you have several effects turned on, you can choose and store on the patch which effect you control with the Control 1 and Volume knobs - very handy. 2 regrets though : 1 - You can't set the effect level separately for each tone. 2 - Where the hell is "my" chorus? Strange how Roland decided to leave this effect out when it has been part of the Roland "sound" for so long. If you ask me, I'd prefer to have 1 Chorus instead of 2 delays (Delay and Panning Delay on the 3rd group) or instead of Flanger and Phaser on the 3rd group.

The Phrase Recorder is one of those gadgets that you find completely unnecessary on the SH-01. Until you learn that you can record fader and knob movements on it. So this can lead to some interesting performance capabilities if you have the patience to record it properly since there is no way to post edit it. You can however choose to record All Data, only Bender/Modulation lever movements, only knob movements, only keyboard performance. You can save 8 internal and 8 USB memory Phrases.

I still don't understand why Roland is spreading external audio inputs but then gives us no way to take this audio into the signal path of the synthesizer. I've been wishing this for some time also cause I'm looking for a cheap vocoder and the Gaia would be just right for doing it. Marketing guys may think that having an EXT IN just for doing Center Canceling and Volume is OK. I don't. I think it's pretty ridiculous.

The SH-01 streams its audio through USB as 16-bit/ 44.1kHz and you can also use it as an audio interface using the EXT IN - the only real use I see on this input.
The audio samples I got attached were recorded with the SH-01 only. Direct recording and normalize in Audacity, nothing else. Some are pretty loud. Please be aware. Also don't pay much attention to the performance. My all point was to show some of the Preset patches.

In the end, I just regret that I don't have individual Tone effect send and I definitely miss a chorus effect. Also, I hope Roland doesn't forgets to deliver the Editor and Librarian software for it. Still, if you're looking for a very simple, affordable but powerful VA synthesizer, love to tweak knobs and don't want to turn you PC just to get a straight sawtooth wave, the Gaia is for you. Not having the money to invest on true analogs I'm most sure the Gaia will sit nicely by my Fantom's side (as soon as I get that Mac Mini I've been saving for ;-))

Hope you find this informative. Feel free to ask questions if any.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Sorry,

Audio samples attached here. Please unzip the file

Since attachements are temporaraly disabled you can download the RAR file from here http://www.mediafire.com/?bb3e28deihhv76a
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

Hey V-CeeOh!

Excellent review as always!

Yeah…black is without a doubt my favorite keyboard color as well. But ever since Korg made the trinity and people started calling it…. “the silver keyboard“…it seem that musical instrument manufactures have been using various color schemes in an attempt to standout or confuse (which silver keyboard?). It’s all part of the game…

I actually think the GAIA looks pretty nice from looking at it on the internet. But…seeing it in person will give me the true verdict.

I agree with you…it sounds awesome!!! And it seems it will be a great add-on synth…

Thanks for all the effort V-CeeOh!
IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo »

Thank you a lot for the review!!!! I'm crazy to get my hands on one of these as soon as it come to my country (Brazil). Just can't wait.

After reading your review I admit that I agreed with a lot, including the EXT IN input with just Volume and Center Canceling.
About the FX, i think that Chorus won't be a huge miss for me since I'm planning to use this little baby only for leads and pads (since I have a G8, wich I'm pretty satisfied with!), and maybe some other crazy "synthy" stuff.
I guess this will be a great buy for me... it's lightweight and rough, will suit me good. At this time I can't get my G8 out of home for the lack of a hardcase and strenght! =D

Going to listen your sound demos. Again, thank you!
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

Thanks very much for your point of view on the GAIA. I've had mine for about a month now in Japan and I agree with everything you've said. I still would have liked a split keyboard even though we're only dealing with 3 octaves. It would have been fun to have the ability to assign a couple of different sounds even if it meant quickly tapping the octave button to shift the keyboard. It might have made for some interesting live playing variations. It also would have been cool to have more flexibility with the Realtime recorder. I much prefer the RPPR of the Korg, or the RPS of the JP8000 for example.

I have a feeling an editor is probably on the way. It's probably not needed, but most keyboards and synths these days have them so Roland may want to use that as a selling point perhaps. We'll see.

I am curious how you would compare the SH-01 with the SH-201. I have both synthesizers and firmly believe that the SH-201 is better with regards to functionality and close with sound. I don't know if you have experience with both, but I think a lot of people are wondering about whether the SH-01 is a viable upgrade or whether it's in a completely different class of it's own. To me, I wouldn't consider the SH-01 an upgrade, but rather simply different. That's just me though.

Thanks again for the fine review.

Jim
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Thank you all guys for your comments.
I'd like to make a correction and thank Taylor Salomone who have kindly emailed about this (BTW if you still have problems loggin in please contact Artemiy through the contact form - click on "Contact" below the Roland Clan logo.)

Actually, you can PAN tones on the SH-01. I've somehow skipped pag 36 of the Manual. We have to press and hold CANCEL/SHIFT and turn the DETUNE knob. So this is just one less thing to regret :-). I'll correct my initial post about it.

Ricoche
Yes, I hope Roland releases the Editor but I'm more worried about the Librarian. I see myselft filling all memory locations very quickly ;-)
About the comparation with SH-201,I haven't played one for a while now but I also would not consider the SH-01 and upgrade from it. Yes they are a bit different. But I feel the SH-01 gives you more sonic power with the 3 tone structure and effects section were it lacks on external processing, memory locations and keyboard size. So if I had to choose between them I'd go for the Gaia.
Aerotype

Post by Aerotype »

I'm ashamed to say, I couldn't log in because I had completely overlooked the "are you a human?" check box in the registration, haha! By the way I listened to the audio samples you posted, and I especially like the patches in 4, 8, 10, and 14. I can't wait to get mine! I can see myself making a lot of ambient music with this synth, I just love the pad sounds...

-Taylor
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Very good review and nice sounds V-CeeOh !!

Many thanks

P.S: one more octave would be awesome
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Hi Aerotype,
Welcome to the Clan and thank you for the tip.

Thanks Paulo
Nutrient

Post by Nutrient »

Very good review !! Can't wait when I'll see it.

Many thanks!
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

Indeed I'm starting to hope a librarian is released with the Gaia pretty soon. I suspect ( and hope ), that some support software and patches will be released once the SH-01 is fully released in the States and around the world. A similar page like this one for the SH-201 http://www.roland.com/SH-201/ would be awesome.
pjblues

Post by pjblues »

So from those who have already tried the Gaia, bottom line, is it worth owning and will it compliment the Fantom G and the Yamaha Motiff?
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

I have a Roland Fantom Xa and the Yamaha Motif ES Rack. I think it fits in great with those because I can create or tweak lead sounds for example rather quick. I remember another GAIA user say that it was great to have up on top of all your other synths and I think that is pretty true for me. Or, it could lay on the bottom with a nice 3 tone layer pad or motion patch. It's a really fast way to add sounds, effects, or parts to a live composition for me. The Fantom G and Yamaha XS have more features so I can't give you a bottom line on those two. I don't have them.

The admin and moderator of this site may know.

Thanks,

Jim
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I've been expecting a VA ARX board for my G8. Even if ever get one, the SH-01 still will be a good add because I love to tweak sounds and you can do that very easily with a synth like the SH-01. It also only makes sense if you like and need synth sounds. It's not the same as having a real analog but you get an excelent VA for the price.