SH01 - fabulous - but - No Chorus??

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
knolan

SH01 - fabulous - but - No Chorus??

Post by knolan »

Hi-

Just received my SH-01 and find it fantastic. I've checked the manual and don't know the synth well enough yet - but its looking like to me that there's no Chorus effect on the SH-01.

Can anyone confirm this - or might there be a hidden effect in a menu or possibility to modify flanger or DDL into Chorus?

If its not there it's very disappointing. Roland - if you're reading this and comtemplating any OS upgrades, please consider including Chorus.

I realise there's the supersaw but its not the same; and Chorus is a 'staple' for Roland.

Don't want to be too negative in my reaction however - this instrument is fabulous - a cross between a J6, J106 and JD800 IMO. This will be a very useful, very practical and very used instrument in my setup.

Kevin.
V-CeeOh

Re: SH01 - fabulous - but - No Chorus??

Post by V-CeeOh »

Yes, I felt the same. If you read my review you would know that by now.
However if you use the Pitch Shifter with just bit of detuning you'll get a chorus-like effect that will make you forget that.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

If you read the manual, in the effects settings, I think it actually suggests that the pitch shifter has several "chorus modes". If you detune just around the zero value, you will have 2-3 different chorus effects.
Scotty_

Post by Scotty_ »

I felt the same way initially - quite sad.

BUT THEN I DISCOVERED...THERE IS A CHORUS ON THE GAIA SH01.

It's simply under the guise of "flanger". Set the flanger to these settings for a chorus, which I was very pleased to find is as pleasing and rich as the classic Boss Chorus from the 70s, but probably much less noisy:

Feedback = 0
Depth = 2:15 oclock
Rate = 9:45 oclock
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, Scotty, that one too! So you actually have two chorus algorithms in there, one in pitch shifter, one in flanger. I think Roland should have put chorus/flanger as a label on the respective button.
Scotty_

Post by Scotty_ »

Yes, it's nice to have the 2 options. I'll have to try them together to get a stacked chorusing effect! I do think Roland should have labelled it chorus/flanger as well.