Organ sounds - Possible??

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
IgorCristo

Organ sounds - Possible??

Post by IgorCristo »

Well, pre-ordered my and probably will have it in my hands next week. One of my questions is: can I achieve an organ sound, that's at least usable, with the GAIA? Not that this is very important, but would be nice if I could gig with only this board, instead of taking my G8 out of home. (I'm asking about rock organs, hammond - even if I have to buy a rotary pedal)

When it gets here I'll post a picture of it with my G8. Really looking forward to get it!

Artemiy, you're probably the right men to answer me this!!

Thanks!
Ricoche

Re: Organ sounds - Possible??

Post by Ricoche »

Hi there,

I think you most certainly can. In fact, there are two videos on Youtube ( I can't remember the URLS's ), of a gentleman explaining some basic of synth programming using the Gaia. They may be hard to find as he didn't use any tag words for Gaia, but he definitely used it in the video. He programmed a piano and guitar sound rather well. I'm sure you could get close to an organ sound using the principles he mentioned. If I find the URLs, I'll come back and post them here. In addition, you might want to search for other videos using other synths to get an idea.

It is my impression that you can virtually achieve any sound using a synth as long as you are willing to accept that it may only get you close but not replicate the actual sound.

My generation is the 80's and this is why I love synthesizers so much. People tried to emulate real sounds in the 80's but they also accepted synths to be a new breed of instrument and thus it was "OK" to have a sax sound that didn't sound exactly like a sax. Listener's didn't seem to care because either the song was good or the musician. Nowadays things maybe different.

The only bad thing ( which is a good thing really ), is that might have to spend a considerable amount of time learning to program your new Gaia synth, but ultimately I am very confident you'll achieve a good organ sound.

Who knows!! Maybe you'll have a hit song and suddenly everyone will be scrambling to emulate your sound on other keyboards. This is the beauty of creating your own sound...ala the 80's!

Good Luck!

Jim
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Yes you can. I already did 2 patches, very 70's rock sounding. I'm working on another different 2. The most difficult is to get a convincing leslie-like modulation and , since you can set a osc to play monophonically, get the percussion sound. Still the sounds are nicely usable.
I've done around 16 total patches till now. But I'm still perfecting them. I'll share this sound bank when I get some more done.
IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo »

@Ricoche
I found thoso videos. They're great! That guy is from Roland UK I think.
I think that these are the videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm4Wfg52lU8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msPCyQ3lE9Y

I have to agree with everything you said. This is why I want to use the GAIA as m only live gig. Having the Fantom-G8 is great, but what I really want to do is play some nice leads, organs (essential to me, 70's rock does really ROCK!), pads and other different sounds, rather than piano and stuff. My G8 is also really heavy, and I'm not that strong to carry it.
And what you said is really true... I'll have to spend a considerable amount of time with this little beast to achieve the thing I want. Those videos you mentioned are really helpfull, it shows a lot of things that are basic and I didn't know them all.
I really hope that I can get a good organ sound, or something with my own caracteristics that get close to an organ but isn't really an organ sound.

"Who knows!! Maybe you'll have a hit song and suddenly everyone will be scrambling to emulate your sound on other keyboards. This is the beauty of creating your own sound...ala the 80's!"
Lets hope for this!!!!! I promise that I'll upload the patch to everyone in this forum! =D

@V-CeeOh
Great to know!! About the Leslie, would a pedal help me with that?? I think that the LFO's can help me with that if I have an enormous amount of time to play with the GAIA.
Upload the sounds!! I think it would be good for us to learn something from them!

Thank you both for answering me. I'm really looking forward to get my GAIA. As said before, I'll post a picture as soon as I get it.

PS: I don't know if my english is entirely correct, but really believe it is good enough.

Thanks again!
Electrowind51

Post by Electrowind51 »

The Fisher sound bank that you can get when you take the survey at the roland web site has very good organ sounds.
IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo »

I already have the GAIA, and yes, it's able to do some organ sounds, not great ones, but you can play with them. If you insert a rotary effect from a MFX processor I believe you can achieve a better sounding patch.
I haven't used the sounds yet, but already took the survey. Thank you!