GAIA get KEYBUY award on keyboardmag

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
kimu

GAIA get KEYBUY award on keyboardmag

Post by kimu »

here the full review:

http://keyboardmag.com/article/roland-gaia-sh-01/July-2...

this little synth is tempting me....
V-CeeOh

Re: GAIA get KEYBUY award on keyboardmag

Post by V-CeeOh »

Very interesting review, in line with the one I did when I got my hands on the SH-01. I particulary enjoyed the comparation with the SH-101 and how close the SH-01gets to it in pure analog sounds.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

To say the truth, the audio examples actually made me want to get the SH-101, and not the SH-01... ;-) The SH-01 can produce a much wide variety of sounds though, can memorize them, and play them polyphonically.

I think that SH-01 has been wrongly represented as a successor to old analogs. The concept is similar - hands-on sound creation, but the instrument is vastly different.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Completely agree. "Feeling" the electricity running through a true analog is a very diferent experience.
But
...if you crave the instant gratification of virtual analog synthesis with lots of knobs, and you don’t have a lot of cash, the Gaia serves up heaping helpings of polyphony, effects, and overall sound-making power for a price that’s low by any standard, and almost unheard of among real or virtual analog synths
. That's exactly what I think.
kimu

Post by kimu »

well it seems that main difference between real analog SH-101 and virtual analog SH-01 is on the low end... on the bass line the difference is quite audible, on the solo there is still difference but more subtle
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

All in all, another positive review. I'd like to see one with a bit of grit, but it seems the only people who don't like it never played it.

Have to agree with you Artemiy, comparing the Gaia and SH-101 seemed unfair to me as well. Obviously the author needed an angle, but the two really only share the SH name and where was the 201 reference? The thing is, comparing the SH-01 with the 101, you have to cut off two of it's legs.

Those extra oscillators and polyphony are what make the Gaia so interesting. I'd have liked to read more about what it can do for lush pads, evolving leads, fx, and layered basses; rather than reducing it to a 27 year old monophonic synth.

On top of that, the sample comparisons inevitably highlighted one sound , in particular, of the Gaia. I didn't find the 'ring' very appealing and have to wonder if the filter(s) could take it out without further compromising the attack; or maybe they are actually the source.

It's quite a dilemma if you don't already have the 101. On ebay, they are running the same price or even more than the Gaia. Maybe it's a Little Phatty for the win and the Gaia to round it out.
Atziluth

Post by Atziluth »

This is a good article. Thank you for posting.

Yes, I think even the sound examples shows how amazing the SH-01 is.

Why, investing in more than 20 years old gear if you can get the same sounds for leads and really close bass sounds with new technology.

The Gaia SH-01 is a great +1 for me not only for the close sounds to the SH-101 but for all the additional possibilities.

The SH-01 Gaia is on the way in my studio!

Cheers
pjblues

Post by pjblues »

The GAIA is outstanding! I purchased it and am using it in conjunction with the G and together they are great. The fact that I can just grab the GAIA and take it under my arm anywhere is fantastic. Great synth sounds to smooth strings and organ.
Scotty_

Post by Scotty_ »

You can get nearly any classic analog sound out of the Gaia, warm, fat, thin, harsh, plus an almost unlimited world of new and future synth sounds. If you prefer an old analog synth, then you absolutely require the subtle raw presence as well as oscillator intermodulation persent in many analog synths. If you don't mind giving up the huge "3 synth stacked" pallette of the Gaia, 64 voice count, as well as the superb internal fx, usb/pc functionality, etc, then an analog might be for you. For me, the Gaia excells in so many areas, and it's the most compelling all-rounder VA synthesizer from Roland so far.

Hey, many of us would prefer the Gaia to be analog, but to get 64 voices of 3 stacked 1 osc synths with fx, would be impossible cost-wise and has not been commercially available with any existing analog tech - and therefore the Gaia's digital tech provides vast sonic possibilities that any available analog synths cannot create. On the flip side, the Gaia cannot create every sound an analog synth can - but it can create most analog type sounds and much much more.

If Roland would have included per-oscillator slop, as well as a slight eq boost in the lower midrange, it would have brought the Gaia up another notch - perhaps in a future firmware update?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

the truth is, there's very little difference between the Gaia tech and older analog poly tech, in terms of sound quality

Sorry, but you're wrong.
The gaia stomps all previous analog Roland polys

Sorry, but you're wrong again.

You're comparing an iPod to a vinyl turntable - they both play a pre-recorded sound, but in a totally different manner. Vinyl will never sound as clean and will never have as many technological possibilities, however, it still has something that the iPod can only "emulate" but never achieve in absolutely true form.

For many people's ears there may be little difference - but that depends on ears!
Scotty_

Post by Scotty_ »

Artemiy, you're wrong on all points. Just kidding - a tit for a tat! I'm sure face to face you wouldn't be so bold in repeating "Sorry, you're wrong" to folks when they state their opinions. But such is the nature of humans communicating on the internet. That said, your points are well taken, and I was just as overconfident with the presentation of opinions as you were - we were both insensitive, so let's start anew.

Please read my post again which has been edited to be more positive.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Scotty, my reply to your original claims remains valid :-) We love analog for being analog, we love digital for being digital. But don't compare the two.
Scotty_

Post by Scotty_ »

Whew, Artemiy, you do have a "healthy" ego, that's for sure. Too bad, because your views are valid, but your delivery of them needs work. I can see this has become a typical "I'm right, you're wrong" flame post, so I won't be adding to or visiting this thread any longer.

FYI anyone other than Artimiy or those interested in internet fight voyeurism, my first post in this thread is the last post in this thread worth reading.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I think you took this a bit too far - I was defending the greatness of analog synthesis, not my ego :-)

I share your excitement about the SH-01 - for what it was meant to be, it is better than an analog synth. But it's not a substitute.

BTW have you ever owned a real analog?