Roland releases Sound Designer software for SH-01

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
Artemiy
Site Admin

Roland releases Sound Designer software for SH-01

Post by Artemiy »

Seems like this is the editor many people have been asking for:
http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=sd-sh01

However, seeing it in a CD package, I have no idea if it will be sold or provided as a download as well.
knolan

Re: Roland releases Sound Designer software for SH-01

Post by knolan »

Am i missing something - I've looked everywhere but cannot see how oneacquires this software. Is it free or for purchase? Is it purchased from Roland themselves or from retailers? If you're not in one of the countries listed on the Roland (limited country) list, who do you contact?

They have given no details on a release date, or on how to acquire it!

Kevin.
vestan_pance

Post by vestan_pance »

Recommended Retail price of $99 - available from October. Apparently.
skuppy

Post by skuppy »

WHAT $99
you've got to be kidding !
why isnt this part and parcel and available as a free download ?
fair go Roland !
vestan_pance

Post by vestan_pance »

My thoughts exactly. From what I can gather from the Roland website it doesn't allow you to do much more than you can from the hardware - I was hoping that you'd be able to program the arpeggiator from the software, but I haven't seen mention of that feature anywhere.
skuppy

Post by skuppy »

so for $99 we simply get a gui front end to the sh-01??
and if I didnt get an arp editor included for my hard earned cash I would be pretty disappointed with Roland, since this little exercise seems simply like a revenue raiser.
I mean hell I had a SH-201 and that came nicely equipped with the librarian and arp editor, why should the Sh-01 be any different ?
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

Indeed $99 is a bit steep if all it does is mirror what you can already do with the hardware. Hopefully street price will be much lower. There does appear to be an "arpeggio" button on the left side of the software, but that just may be an on/off switch to run while editing the sound.

It is interesting though that with the Roland SH-201 you got an editor plus a librarian. You could edit the arpeggio patterns and even create a split on the keyboard. The software was free including all of the bonus patches on the Roland site here http://www.roland.com/SH-201/. The Roland SH-201 may or may not be a better synth than the GAIA, but I still think it's the better deal.

I guess it's pay more and get less from Roland these days. LOL Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh. We'll see.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I'll be very disapointed if this is not availabe for free.Not that I have a Gaia but It will not make sense. Roland has been releasing free Editor/Librarians for the last keyboard and I don't see any possible reason for this not to happen with the SH-01.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Moog also charges about $100 for the Little Phatty editor.

As of the SH-01 editor, keep in mind that by far not everyone needs it, with all controls available on board it actually makes no sense at all to my point of view.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Yes, I was thinking more on the Librarian ;-)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Hmm, does that package also include a librarian?
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

You're right Artemiy. It seems not. I assumed it was included.
It makes more sense now although I still believe it should be free ;-)
IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo »

Original post deleted.

Software piracy is prohibited on this forum, as is rude language - Administrator
knolan

Post by knolan »

Well now I'm utterly confused.

What is this announcement for and what is this proposed software? Is it VST/AU to manage the GAIA within a DAW session. and why on Earth does it not provide a librarian?

I normally do not get too hot up over features - as in moan too much when they do not quite deliver - but if this is some flim-flam piece of software for $99, Roland need to explain themselves.

As it is this thread reveals just what confusion they have caused in this release. Could someone from Roland come on here and explain this software, what it is, what it will deliver, what it will cost and where it can be purchased?

Kevin.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

It seems pretty obvious to me, the SH-01 hardware interface must be(hypothetically speaking) awkward enough to use that it justifies a $100 software editor.

What I'm finding difficult to answer is, why the what seems like a sneaky approach from Roland? Is it all about market timing? and with the many worthwhile VSTi's out there, what really seperates the SH-01 from the pack?

Essentially, this has made me reconsider the SH-01. The last thing I want to do is tie yet another piece of gear to the computer and I know I don't want to tweaks knobs on the fly with a mouse.