Roland releases Sound Designer software for SH-01

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Roland releases Sound Designer software for SH-01

Post by Artemiy »

dbijoux, but have you ever worked with the SH-01? It's a blast to operate, all the parameters have dedicated controls. There is no way I'd ever need an editor.

I think Roland released this for schools. If you look into their descriptions, you'll see they emphasize on that a bit. In this respect, in makes sense as a learning tool.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Glad to hear that from you mate. Of course, I'm purely speculating.

However, when I first saw the software editor it really drove home that you have to switch between tone paths on the board(while the controls remain static). It got me thinking again about how that would work in practice, specifically tweaking tones in a 'live' situation.

You bring up a good point tho; it's been mentioned before by you and others that this board definitely seems to be geared for schools. I think that's my point too, the software designer seems to be a really valueable visual aid.

I'm trying hard not to overcomplicate Roland's perspective and motivation here.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I loved the 01's interface, really. It's really intuitive after just a couple days of tweaking.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I definitely value your opinion on this and will have to give the 01 some more consideration.

I was just reading back tho and you compared the Sound Designer to Moog's Little Phatty Editor. I looked that up and found it is actually a VST editor, which obviously makes DAW automation a useful option. $69 USD too.

However, a big difference between the Little Phatty and the SH-01, and this is my contention, is that the Little Phatty provides feedback in the form of LED lights around the editing dials. The SH-01 on the other hand, uses sliders and you can't tell what setting the patches/tones use, correct?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

That's correct, but LP only has a few knobs and then you need buttons to specify which parameter you edit, while on the 01 you can tweak several parameters at a time with two hands. Different approaches here. I think it would be very, very expensive to have such LEDs throughout 01 :-)
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

True, Little Phatty and Gaia are probably not very productive comparisons. LP design is really classy, but Gaia's polyphony and extra oscillator is so sexy too.

Back tracking a bit, it'll be interesting to find out if Sound Designer will include a VST component.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

If they didn't state this in the specs, highly doubt so.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

dbijoux
I don't know if you read my review of the Gaia here:
http://forums.rolandclan.com/index.php?action=show_thre...

Maybe it will give you a better idea of what it is.
Bladerunner2125

Post by Bladerunner2125 »

At $99 this software from Roland will have to be very good at allowing you to do a lot of things you cannot do with the GAIA's onboard controls otherwise why bother?
nicktem

Post by nicktem »

This is cool for some people but definitely not for me. I bought the gaia specifically for its left to right, hands on, old skool hardware feel. i love the fact i don't have to be sitting in front of the computer to tweak it. soft synths can get so freakin annoying and tedious.
Ii don't see a point to this software when you think about the gaia this way.
Rigil

Post by Rigil »

I think the editing software might be useful for three reasons.

To be able to library patches more easily and exchange them with other users.
Secondly, it is useful to be able to see what parameters have been used to create a particular patch and in turn be able to learn how they have been created.
I believe the editor will remember the editing history. Frequently, when creating a new patch, I reach a point where I wish I could easily return to an earlier version without having to constantly save in a fresh user patch.

So I guess I will probably buy a copy of the sound design software when it eventually appears for purchase.
30secondstosam

Post by 30secondstosam »

if it doesn't let you edit the arppeggio's then i'm gonna be one p1$$ed off man! SH-01 is incredible but that's the only thing i dont like about it so far...
huggles

Post by huggles »

Artemiy wrote:Moog also charges about $100 for the Little Phatty editor.

As of the SH-01 editor, keep in mind that by far not everyone needs it, with all controls available on board it actually makes no sense at all to my point of view.
I cant seem to find a way to edit the arpeggios, and the manual also does not seem to cover this. So I would agree in terms of basic sound design that you probably would not need to dig any deeper than whats on the front panel, but its kinda limiting that you cant edit the arps...
Mathlar

Post by Mathlar »

You can't edit arpeggios using the hardware interface and I'm not sure that the Sound Designer software will either (based on what I can remember from the marketing blurb).

If you're only interested in editing arpeggios and managing patches via PC, then Grauw's home grown editor should see you good:

http://www.grauw.nl/projects/gaia-tool/
huggles

Post by huggles »

@mathiar
I'm on a mac. would you suggest mmj or Mandolane, ??