Analog Rules.

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
Scotty_

Analog Rules.

Post by Scotty_ »

After owning/playing/programming the Gaia for the past few months, I took the dusty old MKS-50 out of the closet. The sound murdered the Gaia in punch, life, fluidity, sparkle, fat bass and dynamic sound. 3 layers and 64 polyphony is nice, but in the end if someone is looking for quality sound first and foremost, go buy an analog Roland synth from the 80s.

Kudos to Roland for the Gaia synth - the sound is better than its predecessor. Now if we can get even better sound quality to rival their last batch of analog synths....we'd be happier. We must have at least 24/96 to get the fidelity quality of analog as a possibility - this 16/44.1 won't cut it. Harsh, flat, static sound. The masses have been fooled by being told cd quality is superior to analog. Research it on your own for proof. Or try an MKS-50 side by side with the Gaia.

Ever tried a Dave Smith Mopho or Tetra or Prophet 08? If you've got the cash, it would be worth it to try a true analog synth. Can't be beat for sound quality. Or spend $250 on an MKS-50 or Alpha Juno and get audio quality that will kill the Gaia. If you can live without the thrill of buying the new cool toy, your ears will thank you for it.

Bring on the flames!!!
Leh173

Re: Analog Rules.

Post by Leh173 »

My old Juno-106 is still beautiful sounding, even if the chorus is half the sound! The bass is huge on that thing.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Hmm, but can your MKS-50 play karaoke MIDI files? :-)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Seriously now, pretty much any simple analog like SH-101 or Moog Rogue will eat any VA for breakfast.
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

Juno-106… The bass is huge on that thing.

Yes, it is.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Nice one Mr Grammar Wombat!

So are you in Australia Mr Grammar wombat?
Scotty_

Post by Scotty_ »

Like Artemiy said. Incidentally, the SH101 has quite a punchy sound compared to other Roland analog synths - because it uses Curtis chips, just as the Dave Smith and Oberheim synths do. Aaaah. To have the best of both worlds - I got my MKS-50 (Alpha Juno) for sweet pads, and the Dave Smith Instruments Mopho keyboard for the punchier stuff-basslines, leads, etc. I just got the keyboard version of the Mopho (a new analog in 2010!!!) for about $799. Killer deal for us analog lovers.

That said, the Gaia is still useable and notable for supersaw and highpass filter type sounds. Until of course, Dave Smith Instruments comes out with their next analog synth with highpass filters :) Cuz it'll be a frosty day in hell when Roland releases their next juicy analog synth :(
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

Scotty, that day may come sooner than you expect.

Leh173, I wish I was in Australia. I hear that it is warmer there.