USB Cubase 5.5 connection

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
DrWexford

USB Cubase 5.5 connection

Post by DrWexford »

HI guys,

Just got an SH-01 for Xmas (lucky me), with some questions on plumbing.

So, the set-up:
PC Win 7 64bit
Cubase 5.51
Novation SLmkII
AXIS-49c
Steinberg CC121
Nord Rack 2
TC Konnekt 48 (ASIO device)
Roland Gaia SH-01

So, the Gaia is connected with many other USB MIDI controllers. It has the Win 64bit driver installed and it sends MIDI to Cubase.

I can specify the GAIA as an ASIO device, but cannot see the inputs required to get audio over USB (maybe a Windows config issue)

I have not connected the GAIA with anything other than USB. Can it send audio over USB? I assume from reviews and comments it can, but using the ASIO driver of the SH-01 itself?

As you can guess, I want to use the Konnekt 48 as the interface, as my mnonitors and all other devices (Nord, Mics, Guitar etc) are connected to the TC audio interface.

I was particularly interested in the GAIA as it could offer full MIDI and Audio over USB, but I assumed this would still allow the Konnekt 48 to be used as the main In/Out audio interface.

Is this possible, or do I still have to connect the GAIA to the Konnekt48 using jack connectors, like my Nord (Old Skool) ?

I hope not! I saw the reply about setting the Gaia as Input in Cubase and the Konnekt48 as output, but this will stop me being able to use my other devies, such as the Nord.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards, Wex
DrWexford

Re: USB Cubase 5.5 connection

Post by DrWexford »

Was my question too technical?
Or is nobody on this forum using Cubase 5.5?

I was kind of hoping that someone would know this?
Grauw

Post by Grauw »

Hey,

All I can say is, my GAIA is connected to my (Windows 7 x64) PC through USB, and everything works fine after installing the drivers. It can send and receive MIDI over USB, and also send and receive audio. I set it as default output device in Windows so that when I switch it on, Windows will play its regular sounds through it as well (nice convenience :)).

If you right-click on the volume icon in the task bar and select playback or recording devices the SH-01 should be listed there under the names OUT and IN. To check if it works, if you play something the input level bar of the SH-01 in recording devices should flare up. Also when you go to its properties and select the ‘Listen to this device’ option in the Listen tab, you should be able to hear it.

As for Cubase, I don’t use it, but can’t you set a different sound source for individual tracks? Otherwise you’d need some kind of mixing plugin.
DrWexford

Post by DrWexford »

Thanks Grauw, appreciate your response.
I can route audio from the Gaia into Cubase using a jack connector into a line in on my Konnekt 48. Midi works fine over USB and I can trigger the Gaia OK using the USB midi.

The problem is that I still have to capture the audio "old skool" using my Audio Interface and jack connectors.

It makes sense, as Cubase or any DAW can only support one ASIO device at a time, in my case the Konnekt 48 is the choice, as it has other sounds sources and external effects connected, as well as it's built in compressor and reverb and mic pres.

Looks like I'll have to keep using the Gaia in a "traditional" fashion - apart from USB Midi of course.

Thanks.
Wex