new Gaia User

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
Atlas5

new Gaia User

Post by Atlas5 »

Got my Gaia for Christmas, along with a Korg microStation.

This Gaia is a lot of fun, I've found it to be very useful in my music, performing as a Lead instrument and sound FX's.

I ordered Luftrum's Patches today, the ambient pads sound excellent, can't wait to use them in my productions.

The Gaia is easy to operate, had to read the manual three times just to make sure I was not missing something, such an easy to use keyboard.

Due to running short on mixer inputs, I patched my Radias through the Ext input on the Gaia, works great, between the Radias' "Windy" patch and the Gaia storm, It's been rather cold and bleck in my studio.

This keyboard seems like it will serve me well, I had to move my Nord Lead 2X to the back rack for awhile.
skuppy

Re: new Gaia User

Post by skuppy »

Hey Atlas5

the gaia is a great va synth and I agree very easy to use and lots of fun
yea I love the luftrum patches, they are quite awesome
am fond of the appreg patches as well
I am a bit disappointed it didnt come with an editor. I used to have a SH-201 and it had a great patch/appreg editor but I sold the SH-201 for Gaia.
But one of the guys on this forum is building something very close to an editor, see the topic on 'Gaia Tool' and download the current version, I think you will like it.
I had the same mixer input issue as well, had to upgrade to a behringer FX1832, I'm kinda addicted to synths but the money tree has died now, plus my studio has no more room for anymore gear.
I have way too much synth gear at the moment, my wife always asks how do I play 5 synth's with 2 hands ?..............lol
I have a radias as well, very nice, I upgraded from an R3 which was ok but I sold that for the radias.
Unfortunately time to play and experiment is hard to come by these days but when I do I get taken to another place, love it
anyway would love to hear some of your stuff one day
see ya
Atlas5

Post by Atlas5 »

Hey skuppy,

Thanks for your reply,

My wife (and my 13 year old son) keeps a close count on the keyboard in my studio, (I am now up to 23). She catch on to my secert method, I was unboxing them at work and sneeking them in, saying, "Oh I've had that red one for a long time". Guess I'll have to start buying modules.

When she ask's how I play 23 synth's with 2 hands, I tell her I use MIDI.

How many do you need? As many as you can get!

I've down loaded the Gaia Tool, seem pretty cool, I am considering the Roland Editor, I know I'll have to pay for it, but it's like new music equipment, that easy to hide from the family.

I currently submix on two Berhinger RX1602's, a Mackie 1202 and 1402,with a Mackie 32 input 8 bus.

While the audio routing is working, I still am searching for better MIDI routing. I current have two JLCooper MSB+rev2's, these are great for routing midi around between keyboards and modules, they are 8 in and 8 out. and they work without the computer. I wish they were still made, one of them is getting flaky and changes configuration on it's own.
skuppy

Post by skuppy »

Atlas5 !

Man you stole my method ...........................lol
Yes keyboards are always harder to sneak in the door and make room to setup and yes they do stand out
Your right though, now start with modules
My last acquistion was the Radias module, it fitted beautifully in my backpack and now sits nicely on my music sheet stand but has lots of flashy lights which attracts attention..............doh !
Anyway its all good
But man you have 23 keyboards !!!! wtf
Please details !
I wouldnt even attempt to explain midi to my wife but simply say they talk to each other.
I am running :
Yamaha MO6
Yamaha Motif ES Rack (PLG150an & PLG150dx cards) - using a Yamaha KX49 keyboard
Korg TR61
Korg Radias-R - using a Axiom 25 MKII
Roland Gaia
Alesis SR18 (Drums and bass)
Roland SP-404sx
Behringer FX1832
Zoom MRS8
I also have a Yamaha sunburst acoustic guitar and Fender Squire into a Marshall MG50FX Amp with a Boss ME-50 pedal
Then add on the PC and accessories and some special effect lighting and you have a logistical nightmare.
all quite enough for me to configure and power and squeeze into a relatively small room
My biggest problem is getting everything talking on midi, not every keyboard has a 'thru' port which is really annoying.
I try to steer clear of using the computer to midi sync
I see you have some midi routing woes as well
These JLCooper MSB+rev2's sound interesting, pity they are discontinued
God if I think I got problems , Man you have a real logistical nightmare
How big is your studio ?
I love the challenge of getting all this stuff hooked up and then sitting back and enjoying the awesome sounds
btw I downloaded that fisher soundbank for the Gaia.....
not bad at all, some nice stuff on that, there especially one nice bass and the choir is not bad too
Anyway what are you recording on ?
have you got any recordings ?
I have a few tracks on utube , they are pretty basic stuff
just search for skuppy1960
also checkout this :
MIDI Solutions T8 8-Output Active MIDI Thru Box
Do you know anything about this little sucker ?
take care man !
skuppy

Post by skuppy »

hey dude

have you checked out this other free soundbank ?

http://www.albaecstasy.ro/blog/sintetizatoare/roland-ga...

not bad at all