Gaia Is not passing Midi Clock

Forum for SH-01 GAIA

Gaia Is not passing Midi Clock

Post by 8 »

Hello,

I am trying to actually have the Gaia controll a vsynth XT. The Vsynth only accepts device ID 17+ which is why I think I cant play the vsynth from the Gaia.

I tested sending midi clock to the Vsynth XT using my drum machine directly and it works fine when I set the channel to device 17 Midi channel 1B but the Gaia just won't send it to the Vsynth XT.

Any ideas?

Note: I set the sync to midi clock on the Gaia with the shift + vlink etc. combination cause I need the Gaia receiving midi clock from cubase.

Ultimately what I need is

Cubase (Master) --> DrumMachine --> Gaia --> Vsynth XT --> etc synth

Thanks!
Atlas5

Re: Gaia Is not passing Midi Clock

Post by Atlas5 »

What?

The device ID should not be of concern unless your doing a sysexe file transfer.

The device ID should have no impact to MIDI clock or notes.

Ensure you are transmitting on the same channel from the GAIA that you are recieving on the V-Synth.

I've played my Korg microSTATION from my GAIA simply by pluging in a MIDI cable, of course everything is defaulted to MIDI channel 1.

see page 43, 44 in SH01 GAIA Manual.

Post by 8 »

Sorry, my main issue is the ARPs on the vsynth won't get played for squat!! They just sit there waiting to released. The notes can play but not in ANY case what so ever can I play an ARP patch from the GAIA. From the drum machine, no problem.
Atlas5

Post by Atlas5 »

Sorry Mr 8,

I don't understand what you problem or question is.

You're comments are jumping around from MIDI ID's to MIDI Clocks to Arps. Please Clarify your application/intent/Problem/Question.

Good Luck
Grauw

Post by Grauw »

At least on the GAIA it is a configurable setting whether external MIDI keyboards trigger arpeggios. Maybe this is the case for the V-Synth as well?
Atlas5

Post by Atlas5 »

Yes Grauw is correct see page 53 of GAIA manual "remote Keyboard".

This is the same for the V-Synth (page 62), "Remote KBD Sw" must be on. (I am assuming this is the same for V-Synth XT).

Post by 8 »

Thanks, I will try it out.

Post by 8 »

Hey everyone, I tried and still nothing. The arppegiations will only play if XT is not synced via midi. Like I mentioned only if I send it a synced signal from the drum machine on "device 17" will it actually play.

The Vsynth XT only has 1 midi in connector but it still only likes device ID 17 for the sync mode.

Ive tried many different settings on both and I am only able to play the synced arpegiations from the drum machine directly.

Post by 8 »

Can anyone suggest something for synced arps? Thanks!

Post by 8 »

OK, I figured it out.

Roland:

Is this Bug?

Why is it the Roland Gaia cannot pass through midi clock in a midi chain?

It can sync other modules/synth via midi clock as a master.

It can be slave synced by an external midi clock source.

It cannot receive midi clock BPM and pass it through to another synth. (Yes even with midi thru activated.)

Thanks.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

this situation is not unusual and not limited to the Vsynth, Gaia or Roland.

many synths for the syncronisation of arps will only accept midi clock in conjunction with a "song start" message, ie, they are designed to sync up to a sequencer..
filosofem

Post by filosofem »

8 wrote:Roland: Is this Bug?
It cannot receive midi clock BPM and pass it through to another synth.

It can sync other modules/synth via midi clock as a master.
Yes even with midi thru activated. [Soft Thru]
Roland SH-01 does not pass MIDI Beat Clock when GAIA's clock source is set to MIDI.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Using a drum machine as Clock Source. DIN MIDI OUT to GAIA DIN MIDI IN.
2. Set GAIA Clock Source to MIDI. GAIA DIN MIDI OUT to MIDI device DIN MIDI IN.

Expected behaviour is GAIA should pass MIDI Beat Clock when GAIA is being slaved.

Actual behaviour is GAIA does not pass MIDI Beta Clock when slaved.

Frequency is 80% of the time as the GAIA has passed MBC is the past.

Additional Information, Factory Reset has not worked. Nor does enabling Soft Thru.

Aaron Mulqueen
Dyaphonoyze

Post by Dyaphonoyze »

I have the same problem, and the guys on the phone could not seem to help Either.

What I need is
A) control the start/stop and tempo for oscillations, effects, and arpeggiator in GAIA from MIDI master sequencer.
B)send along a passive clock signal (passive "soft thru" pg 53) to another sequencer.

My set up for scenario A:
Electribe EM-X MIDI out -> Gaia MIDI in

Expected Results - GAIA receives PASSIVE clock, arp and bpm osc are in time without triggering any internal sounds.

Actual Results - GAIA can only receive MIDI signal when it triggers internal drum notes from the master sequencer, no matter what channel MIDI either emx or gaia is set to.

SCENARIO B SET UP (optimal)
Electribe emx MIDI out -> MIDI in Electribe esx MIDI thru -> MIDI in Gaia MIDI out -> MIDI in microsampler

Expected results:
Only a time signal that starts/stops the sequencers throughout the chain and allows ARP and BPM sync on GAIA. Soft thru each device.

Actual Results:
GAIA stops midi signal and does not allow ARP/BPM sync without aforementioned internal drum hits.

A passive midi thru is crucial for how this piece would integrate into my setup. The Korg R3 has a passive thru which allows for the desired results, but cant match the soudns on the GAIA.

Please help. Thanks.
dustrickx

Post by dustrickx »

Hi guys!

I have the opposite problem.
I would like to only send the clock (BPM) to my Korg Monologue but gaia always also sends the arp sequence to the monologue, nice in some cases but not always seeing the monologue has its own sequencer.

Thanks for any help;