SH-01 GAIA, SH-32, JP-8000, V-Synth Engines?

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
longlivethejp

SH-01 GAIA, SH-32, JP-8000, V-Synth Engines?

Post by longlivethejp »

I used the search function. I Googled a lot. Still,

Roland (and many other brands) repackages old engines into new fragile boxes for new products. I emailed and called roland and 'this info is not released to them' on which synths use what from one another. I'm mostly talking about raw waveforms that make for a DIFFERENT SOUND- including a past synth's great filters/mod routing etc is sorta okay with me. People with existing roland gear still want DIFFERENT SOUND- instead they ebay/craigslist their old stuff to get the new product with the same general engine but with added bells and whistles, so roland loses sales from people buying used stuff.
Here's my last shot at these questions I'm hoping to get true info for:
From what I gather, the SH-201 is still the JP-8000 engine, but anyone know how much/ Waveforms? Reliable sources (as reliable as I can find since Roland won't say) say the SH-201 is the V-Synth engine and that the V-synth is the JP engine, so we still get the JP-8000 SOUND in a SH-201 over a decade later.

Also, SH-01 GAIA and SH-32 = same engine? Both are not VAs and are Wavetable/ROMpler-based like a Triton workstation that plays piano or orchestral sounds. Both don't have the Feedback osc, both have a ton of waveforms, like 37 (GAIA specs don't say 37, but has buttons to vary each waveform for a new one that still sounds almost identical before it was changed). I assume they threw the SH-32 engine into the GAIA. Is the SH-32/GAIA engine perhaps from a past roland ROMpler, and the SH-32 isn't the first engine of it's kind?

Thanks
DaniH

Re: SH-01 GAIA, SH-32, JP-8000, V-Synth Engines?

Post by DaniH »

Pretty much correct. I know the JP's, SH-201, and V-Synth are all the same engine. I never knew that until I went to buy a JP instead of my SH-201. There are different features to all of them yes, but still the same VA engine.

I do not know about the Gaia or SH-32.
davc

Post by davc »

i thought that Roland did more repackaging of the 'same ol stuff ' than others for quite a while ... but , the longer you've been involved with electronic keys , you'll should realize that everyone does the same thing .. !! how many Square Waves goes the planet need .. ??

basically , find the sounds YOU like ... ignore the hype ...

is the 'new' Jupiter 80 really anything new .. ?? maybe craploads of GAIA sound chips .. ??!!

the V synth seemed to mix some cool things together ... sounds and a cool way to manipulate them .. !

i finally went the route of the V synth XT ... 3 engines ... always loved my D50 from the early 80's , gotta love the VC2 ... and a V synth sounds w/variphrase and sampling ...

it is a nice compliment to my Kronos 88 ... 9 sound engines ... with a couple that seem rather new ...

but it all comes down to additive or subtractive synthesis of the supplied waves ( in whatever form ) ..

then wouldn't the real sound shaping difference be in the filters / effects , ... ?? moreso than the very basic waves .. ??

i'm still looking at the GAIA ... it's simplicity is great ... sounds good ... decent polyphony .. decent price on slightly used units ... looks fun/easy to program ....

i have a hard time with the price point of the newer V synth GT and the J-80 ... they just don't seem to stack up when compared to the price of a Kronos .. !!?? and i've been mostly a Yamaha guy since my first new acoustic pianos ... ( started piano lessons in 1963 )
longlivethejp

Post by longlivethejp »

I have a hard time with the price point of anything hardware nowadays with software being able to do so much more at lower cost. Hardware is obsolete except for simplicity to plug and play,no need to assign knobs or tinker through computer settings, etc. Hardware is kinda arrogant for lack of a better word, I'll prolly one day use only software and a controller, but for now, I'm...an arrogant gear slut, gotta have my hardware. Then there's the whole true analog vs software/VAs and how they say one can make a VA sound just a analog as a true analog or even 'more analog'. I'm kinda an eco tard with this topic, and put my faith in easier-to-manufacture-VAs, though I'd love to own nice poly 100% analog signal synth like alesis andromeda for the arrogant gear slut factor.
Gaia's cool cause it's battery portable, otherwise I'd feel like a sucker buying it. Gaia. novation x station, old school true analog roland sh-101, and microkorg i think are the only battery portable knobby synths so far.

Still wondering if anyone knows where the gaia engine comes from if it's not totally new. like said above though, I'd bet it's a sh-32 engine-shoulda gave sh-32 a keyboard to begin with... that's how the do us in, give us a little bit at a time so we come back for more. Watch a gaia 102 with feedback osc and a fuller keyboard and few more things come out this NAMM... I mean, were talkign keyboard that musicians/artist use, not TVs or game consoles, who are they tryin to fool, we are one with our gear.
davc

Post by davc »

i'm the opposite ... i try not to use any computers in the studio ... just for librarian or maybe editor jobs ..

i also would love to have a Andromeda ... !!

i'll stick with my hardware ... but i'm old .. !! at 54 , i still like my knobs .. which are now on touch screens .. !

i suppose a few folks could open up their units and look at the Sound chip set .. ??

i'll probablt pick up a used gaia ... i think it would be a great tool for teaching/explaining basic analog type sound design ... a module version like the jp8080 would be cool .. ?!
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I thought the Sh-32 and I heard the SH-01 use samples as their sound source (remember the marketing term "wave acceleration" or something like that with the SH-32?)
If these things do use samples then so do the V-Synth, JP-8000, Sh-201? Is this really Virtual Analog then?
If the waves are samples then this is not truly analog modeling, is it? Curious.
Also I disagree that hardware synths are obsolete. I use moog gear too and just added a Voyager OS to my rig and participate in the Moog forums were everyone is into hardware too. Also look at the Minibrute produced by Arturia, formerly only a software synth manufacturer. Certainly Hardware has not gone by the wayside!