Gaia begins to "fizzle"

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
scunacc

Gaia begins to "fizzle"

Post by scunacc »

Hi,

Recently purchased a Gaia and I notice that after a while (not time-related - just after some use), the sounds begin to "degrade" and fizzle almost as though they are being bit-crushed.

I don't see a pattern to this - just "happens"

Has anyone else seen this?

The Gaia is connected to a macbook via USB and is part of an aggregate device with another midi kbd / sound interface.

Unplugging the USB on the Roland seems to reset it. Sometimes it will appear to recover if a (random) set of buttons is pressed.

I have the latest firmware on the Gaia too.

It's almost as though there is a memory overrun happening that is corrupting the memory somewhere.

Kind regards

D.
huggles

Re: Gaia begins to "fizzle"

Post by huggles »

Hi scunacc

Does the problem persist when you decouple the Gaia from the other midi kbd / sound device? i.e. if you just run the Gaia, without connecting it to anything else do you still get the sizzle sound?

Also are you running the sound output of the Gaia through a mixer, or are you using headphones?
scunacc

Re: Gaia begins to "fizzle"

Post by scunacc »

Hey huggles,

I think I figured it out. At least - it's not doing it any more - and it was I *think* a MIDI clock issue. I made the Gaia the clock source in the MIDI setup (Mac) and it doesn't do it any more. I think it was getting a random clock signal (i.e. from a source that wasn't specifying one - a MIDI keyboard that was set as source but not generating one) over time that was causing the problem.

Seems to have solved the problem. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Kind regards

D.