Gaia MIDI Synced as Master Device?

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
Orbit-50

Gaia MIDI Synced as Master Device?

Post by Orbit-50 »

Has anyone ever used the Gaia SH-01 as the master device when syncing to a DAW or any other MIDI device? I can't seem to find a way to do this. The reason I want to do this, is because when sending MIDI clock from any DAW to the Gaia, I'm getting periodic pitch wobble artifacts when I tempo sync the delay. I'm under the impression that this is happening because the SH-01 delay is modeled after a tape delay, and that any shift in the MIDI clock timing being sent to it causes it to slightly change it's tempo resulting in the wobble in pitch you get from these types of delays when the delay time is changed. When using the Gaia's system clock, I don't get these nasty artifacts so I'd rather use the Gaia as a Master Sync device when tracking because I really like the built in delay. Any help with this issue would be cool. Thanks!
manolo62

Re: Gaia MIDI Synced as Master Device?

Post by manolo62 »

Try this parameter: RECORDER SYNC OUTPUT

1. Hold down the [CANCEL/SHIFT] button and press the
[V-LINK] button.
2. Hold down the [PLAY/STOP] button and press the EFFECTS
[TEMPO SYNC] button.
Button lit: ON
Button unlit: OFF
3. Press the [CANCEL/SHIFT] button
Orbit-50

Re: Gaia MIDI Synced as Master Device?

Post by Orbit-50 »

manolo62 wrote:Try this parameter: RECORDER SYNC OUTPUT

1. Hold down the [CANCEL/SHIFT] button and press the
[V-LINK] button.
2. Hold down the [PLAY/STOP] button and press the EFFECTS
[TEMPO SYNC] button.
Button lit: ON
Button unlit: OFF
3. Press the [CANCEL/SHIFT] button
Hey manolo62, thank you very much for your reply. I did that before, but the problem is that the Gaia does not send "Song Start" so it's won't sync the DAW or any other device. I also found out that the whole Aira line shows the same behavior as far as the delays are concerned. Major oversight on Roland's part.

Disclaimer: I'm a guy that love's Roland to death, but this turns my stomach. This is not the Roland I remember, and this stuff makes me realize that it's over for them. I wish Ikutaro could have run that company forever. There are just way too many bad product design decisions coming out of that house since 2010. I own a lot of Roland products and the new era stuff just shows glaring oversights in product design.