SH-01 GAIA questions

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
pelimanni

SH-01 GAIA questions

Post by pelimanni »

Hi. I'm E-80 owner, it doesn't have any mono lead sounds. So I'm intend to buy SH-01 GAIA. Has its Arpeggio patches included with drums? SH-01 GAIA has been in product almost ten years, does it basically same instrument nowadays?
Regards.
Pertti
SciNote

Re: SH-01 GAIA questions

Post by SciNote »

I'll be honest in that I haven't really checked out the arpeggios on my GAIA SH-01, but based on how the GAIA works, I don't think you could have any elaborate drum patterns on it. While the GAIA probably has the capability to synthesize just about any drum sound, it is a mono-timbrel instrument, in that it can only be programmed to play one patch at a time and could only play one of those drum sounds at a time. Yes, those patches can be made up of up to 3 complete synthesizer engines (the 3 tones available), but those tones will sound all at once (depending on how they are programmed) whenever a note is played. So, there is no way to have each key be programmed to play a different drum sound in the way that some keyboards come with preset sampled banks of "drum kits", so I don't see how an arpeggio could play a complex drum rhythm on the GAIA.

About the closest thing I could imagine would be to program a generic "tsssshhh" type of drum sound, and then run it through the filter. Then, set the keyboard tracking of the filter to maximum, and then each note played should have a different timbre or tone of "tsssshhh", which might give you a sort of synth-drum track effect on an arpeggio. But I don't see any way to program it so that each key has a radically different drum sound, such as one key being a bass drum, another being a snare, and another being a cymbal.

With that said, this keyboard does have a GM MIDI set of sounds in it that are not available directly from the built in keyboard and can only be played through an external MIDI device. It is possible that one of the sounds of this GM set is a drum kit. But again, it would have to be played using an external source, not one of the GAIA's onboard arpeggios. Also, I have not experimented with these GM sounds, so I have no direct experience with them.
Nspace

Post by Nspace »

You may edit the arpeggios using the free GAIA tool.
http://www.grauw.nl/projects/gaia-tool/

From his website:
"With this free tool for the Roland GAIA SH-01 synthesizer, you can view and edit your GAIA’s settings on your PC/Mac. Feature highlights:

Arpeggio editing
Patch library to organise your patches †
Saving and sharing patches
Patch name editing
Patch tempo editing
Real-time synchronisation

† Only available in the GAIA tool!"
pelimanni

Post by pelimanni »

I purchased GAIA today. Great, it's still available. but I wonder why GAIA Synthesizer Sound Designer isn't.
Thanks your comprehensive advise.
SciNote

Post by SciNote »

I just figured I'd do a little experiment, and I came up with this...

https://app.box.com/s/eatbvb3mhbofxhxttup82ksbu174mprx

(Just click on the link, then click the play button to hear the file -- when done, click the back-arrow on your browser to get back to the forum)

I pretty much did what I described above, except I added some resonance to get a little bit of pitch to the sound, and then, I faded in an actual melody tone, using a second tone/synth-engine, to go along with the rhythm. I also added a little bit of phaser effect to the overall sound. Everything you hear was done on the Gaia in real time, except for an outboard reverb unit that I use.