Some helpful Gaia SH-01 patch design tips

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
SciNote

Some helpful Gaia SH-01 patch design tips

Post by SciNote »

As I have had my Gaia SH-01 for about 6 months now, I figured that I would post some information that I have discovered as I have been programming patches for it.

1. If you're trying to get a kind of "biting" analog type sound, it may be helpful to set the filter to peaking mode, instead of just the normal low-pass mode. I find this gives the harmonics a boost that can be good for synth leads.

2. The super-saw waveform is not just for techno-stabs! I've gotten some nice string ensemble sounds as well as some B3-type/Leslie organ sounds by using one of the super-saws as a basis. It's quite a versatile waveform, and in fact, if you're finding that the standard sawtooth waveform is not giving you a full enough sound, you may want to try one of the super-saw waves.

3. For some reason, when you detune the oscillators (meaning the oscillators of each of the 3 synth-engine tones) using the standard detuning control, it seems hard to get the full-bodied beat/chorusing effect that you'd normally get on an analog synth. However, applying the pitch-shifting special effect to the entire patch, and then setting the pitch-shift to a small detuning interval, will give you a nice chorusing effect.

Hope this helps with your patch creating! Feel free to post some more tips if you have any!

NOTE: Apparently, there is a bug in the forum, and it appears that right now, you have to check the boxes for "Disable BBCode" and "Do not automatically parse URLs" below the text editing box when posting a message.