Weird LFO issues with my Gaia

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
SciNote

Weird LFO issues with my Gaia

Post by SciNote »

Hi,

I've just noticed some strange behavior with the LFO on my Gaia synth. On certain patches, even when all of the LFO sliders (pitch, filter, and amp/volume) are set to the middle for all tones, I'm still getting a warbling. I know it's LFO related because the speed of the warbling varies with the LFO speed knob. It's pretty minor, but noticeable. I think it's amp/volume related, but it could be filter related, as well -- since it's so subtle, either function could cause the effect I'm hearing. Its not PWM, because none of these sounds are using the pulse wave -- plus, to be sure, I set the PWM to zero and the effect was still present.

What is strange is that I don't hear it on all tones, and in fact, I tried to do an initialized patch, and as I built up that sound, I did not hear the unexpected LFO effect.

These are patches that I designed months ago and had not updated any time recently, yet I only just recently noticed the effect. It's not insurmountable, as I can just rewrite the patch with the LFO set to its lowest speed and/or with the delay set to maximum, and that pretty much nullifies the effect. And if I do want to use the LFO, then whatever I'm using the LFO for would likely be much more noticeable then this subtle volume or filter effect.

Additionally, I have noticed that when I have the LFO waveform set to sine wave, then put the LFO filter setting to its maximum, the filter modulation sounds more like an on/off square wave, instead of a smooth sine wave. When I back off the intensity of the LFO filter setting, then it sounds more like a smooth sweep like you would expect from an LFO set to sine wave. This change to an on/off square wave type modulation does not happen when I set the LFO pitch or amp/volume sliders to their maximum positions.

So, has anybody seen these issues before? I'll probably try a factory reset, after I save my patches. Again, I can easily work around it, but I'm concerned that this is something that simply should not be happening, and also concerned that it could get worse over time. Also note that my Gaia has never been subject to any kind impact or abuse.

Thanks for any input.
SciNote

Re: Weird LFO issues with my Gaia

Post by SciNote »

One other note -- I do not have the D-Beam turned on, so I don't think the LFO warbling is coming from something related to that.