Sine wave on filter LFO sounds like square wave at highest settings

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
SciNote

Sine wave on filter LFO sounds like square wave at highest settings

Post by SciNote »

Okay, I mentioned this briefly in my thread concerning my other LFO issues, but I figured I'd post this question separately so it could get some attention.

Quite simply, when I have a patch where the filter LFO can significantly affect the sound of the tone, and if I have the LFO waveform set to sine wave, when I set the filter LFO intensity lever to its maximum positive setting, the sound is a repeating, abrupt on/off effect, much like as if the LFO waveform was set to a square wave.

At lower intensities, I get a normal, smooth filter sweep with the filter LFO being a sine wave, but if I move the intensity all the way up, it suddenly gets the on/off effect.

So, this is pretty basic. Can someone try this on their own Gaia and see if it does it on your keyboard? All you have to do is select a patch where you can hear the filter sweep more and more as you move the LFO filter intensity up. Then, make sure the LFO is set to sine wave, and then gradually move the intensity all the way up to see if the smooth filter sweep suddenly becomes an abrupt on/off effect.

I just want to see if this is just a bug in the design of the keyboard, or if it is a defect in my particular keyboard.

Thanks for any input.
SciNote

Re: Sine wave on filter LFO sounds like square wave at highest settings

Post by SciNote »

Come on, people! 114 views over one month, and no one can test this out? It's not like I'm asking to hook up the synth to a computer and try some some complex MIDI/software procedure. All someone needs to do is turn on their Gaia, set up a very basic patch -- preferably only using one of the three tones -- and apply the LFO to the filter, while setting the LFO to sine wave at a moderate rate, such as about 2-3 Hz. Then, just gradually turn up the LFO>Filter slider (the slider that controls how much the LFO is modulating the filter) and see what happens. When you get to the top positive range of the LFO>Filter slider, does the smooth filter sweep suddenly become a more abrupt on/off effect? Or does it still remain a smooth-sounding sweep?
Pauly 6 String

Post by Pauly 6 String »

Sine wave modulating the filter sounds just like the square wave.

Only when I did pitch modulation did I get a sine wave as you would expect.
SciNote

Post by SciNote »

Hey, thank you very much for checking this out for me. At least I know that my Gaia is not defective -- at least as far as this goes. You can check my other thread for the other strange LFO behavior that I've seen -- where even when the LFO's are completely switched off, I still hear a slight amount of modulation on some patches. But that doesn't happen all the time.

I would just go to a music store and try this out on a display model, but I haven't seen a Gaia in a music store in years, and the main music store near me hardly has any keyboards in their showroom right now.
SciNote

Post by SciNote »

I know this was resolved, but I happened to come across this on YouTube, and it shows this exact anomaly with the LFO at about 24:43...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnB5d6S ... el=funnzie

But beyond that, this guy gets some really nice, analog type sounds in this video