problem with song player

Forum for JUNO-Gi
atrin

problem with song player

Post by atrin »

hi:
why when i use songs from my usb but my songs recorder donot show tracks till i can mute and unmute song tracks but in DEMO song we can tracks in song recorder and we can mute and unmute them,...
thank you
tnicoson

Re: problem with song player

Post by tnicoson »

atrin

On the Juno-Gi:

When you play a song from a USB flash-drive, the circuitry that does the "playing" is strictly that. It is a MIDI/MP3/AIFF file "PLAYER", nothing more. It has nothing to do with the audio "RECORDER" circuitry. The USB file "PLAYER" and the audio "RECORDER" are two entirely separate and unrelated circuits. If you want access to the individual tracks of an audio file, then the song file has to be loaded into the audio recorder and played back from there, but in order to do this, the audio file must be compatible with the audio recorder and must be stored on the SD Card - not the USB flash-drive. The audio recorder stores and loads its song files to/from the SD Card - not the USB drive.

If the song file you are playing back from the USB flash-drive is a Standard MIDI File (SMF), then you can mute Track 1 or Tracks 3 and 4 for a "play along" type of performance. See the section "Detailed Settings for Minus-One" at the bottom of the right hand column of Page 129 of the manual. The "MEMO" explains how to save these settings for future use. If you have an SMF that has the data you want to mute on the "wrong" tracks, then you can use a computer based DAW to re-arrange the track data to put the data you want the Juno-Gi to be able to mute onto one of the "mutable" tracks. The USB file player will also allow you to cancel (minimize) the "center" data (usually the vocal part) of an audio file for a karaoke performance. See "Center Cancel/Minuse-One" in the left hand column of Page 129. You can save these settings as well. So, in this respect, I suppose the USB file player is a little more than just a "player".

Good luck and enjoy !

Regards,

Ted
atrin

Post by atrin »

tnicoson thank you so much for information
atrin

Post by atrin »

ted:
"the audio file must be compatible with the audio recorder and must be stored on the SD Card - not the USB flash-drive. The audio recorder stores and loads its song files to/from the SD Card - not the USB drive."

sorry again ted :what is your mean when you say:"the audio file must be compatible with the audio recorder"
because i stored mp3 songs and wav on sd card NOW can we use digital recorder for play back my songs?
thank you
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

Atrin

The Juno-Gi's Digital Audio Recorder can IMPORT WAV and AIFF audio files and CONVERT them to its own native format and THEN play them. It can not PLAY them directly without CONVERTING them first. Once they have been converted and saved in the Digital Recorder's native format, then they can be quickly loaded and played back. The WAV and AIFF files to be converted should be copied to the /ROLAND/IMPORT folder on the SD Card with a computer. WAV files to be converted must be 16 Bit - 44.1 Khz, which is the standard Windows WAV file format. If they are any other format, the Digital Recorder will not load them. Also, the Digital Recorder will NOT load MP3, or any other compressed audio files, so copying these files to the SD Card is of no value. See Page 101 of the Juno-Gi Manual for the "Track Import" procedure. Audio files that are compatible with the Juno-Gi Digital Recorder are actually a collection or packet of files with a "BIN" file extension. For each recorded song there are a Song Information file, a Song Parameter file, a Rhythm Arranger (drum) file, an Event file for effects automation, and an audio Data file for each recorded or mixed-down track in the song. So the recorder is actually recording a lot more than just pure audio data during the recording process, but just as it can import audio data, it can also export all of that "BIN" data into a simple two track mixed-down stereo WAV file. Once exported, however, the exported WAV file would not be loadable or playable by the digital recorder. It would have to be copied to a USB flash drive for playback by the USB Memory Song Player.

Quick, easy DIRECT playback of WAV, AIFF, MP3, and Standard MIDI Files (SMF) without conversion is the function of the USB Memory Song Player (Page 128).

Neither the USB Song Player nor the Digital Recorder are MIDI "sequencers". The Juno-Gi, like the Jupiter 50 and 80, has no on-board MIDI sequencer. So, if you have Standard MIDI Files (SMF) for which you would like to edit various track parameters (volume, etc), you would need to load them into a computer based DAW sequencer and make those edits there.

I can appreciate your frustration with this. There was a time that you could drop a blank tape cassette into a cassette recorder and record a take or two, and then just as easily drop in a commercially pre-recorded cassette and simply play it back, but things are not always that simple or straight forward with these digital recorders, particularly the multi-track units. They all have their own native formats that must be satisfied and different ways in how they manipulate individual tracks into a two track stereo mix-down.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted
atrin

Post by atrin »

ted thank you because your information was so clear
atrin

Post by atrin »

hi ted:
pardon me your information was clear but i read that can use digital recorder
but unfortunately i knew JUNO GI DIGITAL RECORDER can import total a songs in its tracks when it just recorded in juno gi
for example when i imported michael jackson song(wav) in sd card when i load song
it imported just one track and other track were empty
i mistake that buy this instrument
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

Atrin

I am not certain I am understanding your question correctly, but:

When you import a commercial recording, it has already been mixed-down to a two track (R & L) stereo file. The Juno-Gi's Audio Recorder can only work with that. It can not split the data out into all of the original tracks because it has no way of knowing/guessing how all of the individual takes were originally recorded. If the original takes were spread over 8 or 12 or 16 or more tracks, all of that original track individuality is lost in the final two track stereo mix-down. The only way to recover this is to have access to the original multi-track takes.

Also, see the "MEMO" note under Item 6 on Page 101 of the manual. When you DO import a two-track stereo file, if you select to import it to ONE of the Tracks 1 thru 8, then the right and left channels will be mixed into a single track MONO audio signal and recorded onto the single track you selected. When you play this track back, it will play back as a MONO signal. If you want to import a two track stereo file as STEREO, then you must select Tracks 1/2-7/8 when you record, and then when you play it back, you must PAN Track-1 LEFT 64 and Track-2 RIGHT 63, in order to hear it as a STEREO recording.

The Juno-Gi's Audio Recording capabilities are fairly reasonable when dealing with its own internally generated files, but when importing files from other sources, its capabilities become somewhat limited. As long as you are aware of those limitations, and become able to work with or around them, it can still be quite a useful tool.
atrin

Post by atrin »

thank you ted:
in last ted did i know true?
JUNO GI DIGITAL RECORDER cannot input song tracks that had make in other sources
i thought that i can put every songs(wav)into juno gi digital recorder and it can show songs on different
tracks
THEN WE CAN NOT HAVE WAV FILE TRACK BY TRACK ON JUNO GI RECORDER EXCEPT FILES THAT RECORDED BY JUNO GI RECORDER OK?

thank you ted for your time you gave to me and pardon me for questions again and again