JUNO Gi -no reverb and no chorus playng midifiles -

Forum for JUNO-Gi
Sun King

JUNO Gi -no reverb and no chorus playng midifiles -

Post by Sun King »

Hello!
A really very nice forum this one!
I am a "happy" Roland JUNO Gi owner.
After so many years I've decided to play midifiles trough this synth but no reverb and no chorus are audible with the music.
Are there some "more" settings to get those features?
Thanks!
P.S. I well know about midi controls 091 and 093 and I've set both to 127 on my sequencer but ...
tnicoson

Re: JUNO Gi -no reverb and no chorus playng midifiles -

Post by tnicoson »

If you are running the Juno-Gi in GM mode (by sending a GM or GS RESET), then it should respond to the CC91 and CC93 controls, but if you are running it in native (non-GM) mode, then it will not respond to the CC91 and CC93 controls, as those are GM messages. In that case, you would need to bounce the MIDI output to audio tracks in your DAW software and use plug-ins to add the effects. See the earlier posts in this thread for a discussion of this:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Reverb-on-a-M ... 72631.aspx

If you ARE running in GM mode and it is still not responding to CC91/CC93 messages, then go to MENU - SYSTEM - MIDI/SYNC - RX on the Juno-Gi, and make sure that everything on that menu page is turned on. If that still does not resolve the problem, you made need to do a factory reset (initialize) on the Juno-Gi. MIDI files that were recorded using the GM/GS voice set normally contain the GM/GS RESET sysex script at the beginning of the file, and the Juno-Gi should respond to it if those "RX" parameters are turned on.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted
Sun King

Post by Sun King »

tnicoson wrote:If you are running the Juno-Gi in GM mode (by sending a GM or GS RESET), then it should respond to the CC91 and CC93 controls, but if you are running it in native (non-GM) mode, then it will not respond to the CC91 and CC93 controls, as those are GM messages. In that case, you would need to bounce the MIDI output to audio tracks in your DAW software and use plug-ins to add the effects. See the earlier posts in this thread for a discussion of this:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Reverb-on-a-M ... 72631.aspx

If you ARE running in GM mode and it is still not responding to CC91/CC93 messages, then go to MENU - SYSTEM - MIDI/SYNC - RX on the Juno-Gi, and make sure that everything on that menu page is turned on. If that still does not resolve the problem, you made need to do a factory reset (initialize) on the Juno-Gi. MIDI files that were recorded using the GM/GS voice set normally contain the GM/GS RESET sysex script at the beginning of the file, and the Juno-Gi should respond to it if those "RX" parameters are turned on.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted
Thank you Ted!
So please have you a midifile (.mid) with a GM/GS RESET at the start of it that's good for Juno Gi too?
Can you post it here?
Thanks again
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

At one time, there was a pair of files available from various places on the web - GS_RESET.MID and GM_RESET.MID - but they appear to no longer be available. I never had a copy of them and spent several hours one evening a year or so ago looking for them, but to no avail. So, I use a utility program called MIDI OX that does a myriad of handy things in the MIDI world including GS, GM, and XG ON messages. GM mode is the standard. GS was Roland's one-time enhancement to GM, and XG is/was Yamaha's enhancement to GM. The Juno-Gi is basically a GM instrument, but it should also respond to GS ON messages. Don't forget, the Juno-Gi needs to be set up to receive/respond to these messages, but I think those may already be set up by default. Not a bad idea to check them anyway though.

If I need to send one of the "ON" messages,I just bring up MIDI OX momentarily and send the appropriate message. I usually only need to use it once during any given session, as keyboards tend to stay in their MIDI "mode" until they are powered off or until a MIDI file that contains an "OFF" message is sent to them.

MIDI OX is available for free download from:

http://www.midiox.com/

When you run it, click on "Actions" in the menu bar, then point to "Send" and you will see the mode commands that are available to be sent.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted
Sun King

Post by Sun King »

I've just fix it!
Thank You again Ted.
A more question ... and to select reverb and chorus type ....?
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

OK ! Sounds like you are making progress.

See the left hand column on Page 6 of the Juno-Gi MIDI Implementation Guide for the SysEx script parameters for controlling reverb and chorus. If you need a copy, you can download it from here:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/? ... &p=JUNO-GI

You can use the MIDI-OX utility for creating, filing, and sending your SysEx scripts. Instructions are under the MIDI-OX "HELP" tab, but you may also want to review this thread here on this forum for problems one member had with selecting Reverb and Chorus Type on the SD-50.

viewtopic.php?t=37451

In view of this, there is a chance that the Juno-Gi may not respond to some or any of these SysEx commands. I am beginning to get a bit out of my expertise now, as I am not a SysEx coder. I have Band-In-A-Box, which sends these commands from a menu. So, I will set up the Gi here in the studio tomorrow and see if it works, then post my results here. I searched the web this evening to see if there is a stand-alone utility module similar to MIDI-OX for sending these commands, but I did not come up with anything.

Keep in mind that Reverb and Chorus TYPE are "GS" features, so you would need to send the "GS ON" command to put the Gi into "GS" mode before sending any Reverb or Chorus Type selection commands.

Wish me luck !

Regards,

Ted
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

Well . . . Your Solar Majesty:

Not much luck - other than learning a whole lot of things that we can not do.

Even though the Gi will accept GM and GM2 ON messages and GS RESET messages, that part of its voice set is still just GM2, so receipt of any of those messages just puts it in GM2 mode. Reverb and Chorus TYPE are old Roland pre-GM2 voice set features and the GM2 voice set will not respond to them. I had my Roland SC-88 "GS" sound module connected to my PC along with the Gi. When I directed Band-In-A-Box's output to the SC-88, it would respond to Reverb and Chorus TYPE selections, but the Gi would not, so it looks like we are out of luck on that. It appears to have one fixed type for each, but at least we can still control the send levels for them. The Reverb and Chorus TYPE parameters covered on Page 6 of the MIDI Implementation Guide are apparently for remote MIDI control of those effects on the LiveSet voices, but not the GM2 voice set. I even tried writing and sending several SysEx scripts with MIDI-OX, but the Gi would not respond to those either.

I wish I had better news, and I would certainly welcome any info that would prove me wrong, but for now, I guess we will have to be satisfied with what we've got.

Regards,

Ted
kmtaylor

Post by kmtaylor »

I've tinkered with this a bit using my editor.

I've enable a "copy/paste" interface between the live sets and studio mode.

The use case is this:
Pick a live set sound (single layer only) and tweak the chorus and reverb parameters in the usual way. (You must use GM reverb and GM chorus).

Then transfer the sound over to a studio midi channel using copy/paste and then transfer the chorus and reverb settings over the same way.