Help please: GI plays Piano on every (unwanted) MIDI Channel

Forum for JUNO-Gi
deep-six

Help please: GI plays Piano on every (unwanted) MIDI Channel

Post by deep-six »

Hello everybody.

This is my first entry in the Roland Clan ..wow :-)

I've got some Rolands ..so there is more about to come from me ;-)

My Problem sounds a little stupid:

I want my GI to receive to play only note on MIDI Channel 16.
I changed the recieve channel in the system menu to 16 (of course).

But the GI is playing a Piano Sound on every incoming MIDI Channel...exept ch. 10: that's drums.

I think it has something to do with "General Midi" ?

But I can't find a way to switch it off.

In the menu there a these functions: "receive GM / GM2 System on" ...but this means the ability to
switch GM on via MIDI ?

I searched for midi sysEX an tried to send this via cubase:

0xF0 0X7E 0x7F 0x09 0x00 0xF7

but nothing happend...

The GI ist still playing piano on every midi channel .
and that is not what I want (nobody would want this...)

Could you please help?
Thanks a lot!

regards
Andreas (aka deep-six)
johnjohn67

Re: Help please: GI plays Piano on every (unwanted) MIDI Channel

Post by johnjohn67 »

Did you ever resolve? I have same issue - using KeyStep Pro - I have specified channel 11 (Main) and channel 12 (sub) on 2 key step sequences. Works fine. The 3rd sequence is going to channel 4, which is a Poly D, but although the Poly D plays fine, the Juno is still playing the Piano sound.

So seems that channel 4 is arriving at the Juno, and being interpreted as an unknown channel and so plays piano as default.

I could turn USB Midi Thru OFF, that fixes channel 4, but then the Juno doesn't respond to channel 11 and 12.

I could turn Remote Keyboard Switch ON which gets rid of the piano, but then all the Juno upper and lower split are played on the channel 4, and all the sequences (on channel 4, 11 and 12) all use the split - i.e. the Keystep pro keyboard itself is spit.

Cabling is Keystep Pro Midi OUT to Poly D Midi IN, then Poly D Midi Thru to Juno Gi IN.
Also tried going the other way, into Juno Gi first then Out (with Soft Thru turned on) into the Poly D at end of chain.

Anyone else got any ideas?