English Manuals Available

Forum for JUNO-Gi
ocomain

Re: English Manuals Available

Post by ocomain »

All of the Tones would be layered across the entire range of the keyboard.

Michael
compusic

Post by compusic »

Oh, thanks.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

In fact, all this Lower1, Lower2, Upper1, Upper2, Split, Layer thing, resembles the old D-50 aproach, which os fine !! But...

Still to explain is how to access the RX switches for setting the according MIDI channels and how to set the correspondent Parts
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Would like to correct the terminology a bit:

- Juno-Gi "Live set" is equal to to Juno-G performance with 4 parts
- Juno-G "tone" equals to Juno-G "patch", i.e. a sound with four partials
- you cannot access those partials individually, but otherwise you can edit the vast majority of the sound parameters, so the synthesis capabilities are still very good, but still not 100% in-depth as on the Juno-G
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Hi Artemiy,
- Juno-Gi "Live set" is equal to to Juno-G performance with 4 parts

Although with only 1 MIDI channel to control each pair of "parts", opposed to the G that has one dedicated MIDI channel for each Part.
;-)

Maybe Roland will release (near future) an Editor that will allow for more detailed tweaking

P
tompabes

Post by tompabes »

LOL... so we have come back to the '90s... ;-) having read all this stuff, my idea is that this is a board for beginners or users that do not want to mess too much with sound setup (just select a patch and play), so I'm not interested in it anymore. It's a pity that Roland couldn't make an instrument that could be both easy to use and powerful.
Now I like my old Juno even more... hope we will see a cheaper version of the Fantom-X, maybe in a chassis that is light and compact as the Juno chassis, to really replace the old Juno-G.
Until them, I don't think I'll care much about the Gi.
ocomain

Post by ocomain »

The reason I'm so interested in this keyboard is exactly because of its easy setup & instant playability! I just don't have the time (or interest) anymore in spending hours holed up in a room intricately editing patches, tones, whatever you want to call them. I'd just rather sit down at the keyboard, play my music & record the results...and with its integrated digital recorder & fx presets for vocals & guitar, the Gi fulfills my needs perfectly (other than its lack of a MIDI sequencer). I also appreciate its portability & live performance capabilities. Looks like a winner in my book!

Michael
alpha_C

Post by alpha_C »

ocomain you work for Roland ?...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

alpha_C you work for Casio?

So when a MUSICIAN wants something that allows to concentrate on PLAYING MUSIC you think he has no right to want such an instrument?
ocomain

Post by ocomain »

I wish I did work for Roland! I've just owned a lot of Roland & Boss gear since 1988, when I purchased my first Roland keyboard, the D-10. I've also used lots of Yamaha, E-MU, Ensoniq, & Alesis gear just to name a few. I just bought a discontinued Yamaha KX49 keyboard controller in May to replace my Edirol PCR-50 because of its crappy keybed membrane contacts (a well-known defect). I'm seriously thinking about pulling all the keys out of the PCR & installing a couple of Akai or Korg pad controllers in their place.

In the past, I've been critical of Roland, mainly for support issues but they have come a long way and I have to give them credit for really getting their act together. Is there such a thing as a "perfect" corporation? Is it humanly possible for them to make everyone deliriously happy with all of their products? I think not...but they continue to make some incredible gear that is enabling even more people than ever to creatively express themselves with music...and what the hell is wrong with that?!!! We all have the right to endlessly quibble about design choices and the general direction the company is taking but in the end, all I want to do is make me some music!

Michael
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

@alpha_C,

Ocomain was really plain and clear on to be focused in his playing..

Other guys are looking for a "super" Fantom G or for a workstation that has all the bells and whistles possible

That's called diversity !!!

Why should he be working for Roland (or any other brand) ?
I AM

Post by I AM »

i think this keyboard is too complex and expensive for amateur and on the other hand it lacks deep sound modification that professionals need.... and it's 10 years old technology...
preset rompler with some editing.. not so creative as creative music need to have creative sounds, and a "multitracker" that is able to record one track at once (as i understand it's not possible to record synth and guitar(or vocal) at the same time), which is not so creative too.... nothing groundbreaking... no sampling, no RPS.... fortunately arpeggiator!!!
i'm pretty sure there's some hidden "features" that can make life of creative musisian even harder in this board and not sure about hidden features that can make life easier...

but nobody knows which way music will go, so only time can judge if it's a goal or miss

just my "2 sents" ))
compusic

Post by compusic »

one more question.

It seems that GI cann't be used as a 16 parts multi-timbral sound module while played live, though when it plays back MIDI files on USB memory, it has the 16 parts capability.

What I want to know is can Gi be used like a multi-timbral sound module with software sequencer? The maunal does not reveal it clearly. Through MIDI port is not possible. What about through USB-MIDI?
ocomain

Post by ocomain »

Looking at the manual's MIDI Implementation Chart, I'd have to say that the only time the Gi will function as a multi-timbral device is when the USB file player is playing back a sequence. You would have to sequence your song using software, then transfer it to the USB stick. If I'm missing something here, please somebody let me know...it would be much appreciated!

Michael
snazzledorph

Post by snazzledorph »

the song not the machine makes the music and the juno gi has the goods to express original musical ideas. all you novices that rely on sequencers, arpreggiators, rps patterns, loops, samples , midi, and general button pushing are not original or creative even though youre egos tell you otherwise. if you can record a melody add a rythem ,sing meaninful lyrics master, all in one place- and use the machine in an un convetional way thats creativity