English Manuals Available

Forum for JUNO-Gi
MeNotU

Re: English Manuals Available

Post by MeNotU »

It's a rare day that I use patch mode on Juno-G, but I know it's there, I know how rare and awesome that is, and it's for me to grow into - it's all part of having a machine for life.

My style of music just needs a string to be a string, it doesn't need to modulate to the moon and back lol. So even if I am only using 66% of the Juno-G, it's a good thing to have another 34% of playability for the future (or another muso that is in my studio of course).

So the question for me is why would you pay $2k for Gi with it's limitations, and not $1k for a Juno-G that is bigger and more 'real'?

There's no growth potential in the Gi - how long before the buyer says, 'gee-this would be cool if it had a sequencer then I wouldn't have to have a PC and I could mix channels as I perform...and these sounds are getting dull - wow EQ modulisation - awesome not lol.
snazzledorph

Post by snazzledorph »

the song not the machine makes the music and the juno gi has the goods to express original musical ideas. all you novices that rely on sequencers, arpreggiators, rps patterns, loops, samples , midi, and general button pushing are not original or creative even though youre egos tell you otherwise. if you can record a melody add a rythem ,sing meaninful lyrics master, all in one place- and use the machine in an un convetional way thats creativity
ocomain

Post by ocomain »

The good thing is that in addition to the 16 part multi-timbral playback via USB, you have 4 additional live performance parts plus any audio & rhythm tracks that have been recorded.

By the way, the Gi is under $1k here in the States.

Michael
compusic

Post by compusic »

Maybe Gi can be used like a multi-timbral sound module.

On page 1 of MIDI Implimentation manual, it's said "In MIDI controller mode, Tones will be sounded by all MIDI channels. Live Sets will not sound." And on page 134 of Owner's manual, it's said "When the JUNO-Gi receives a GM System On or GS Reset message via MIDI, it will switch to “MIDI controller mode”.

But words below (MIDI Implimentation manual) are confusing!?

"On MIDI channels (*) that use Live Sets, the Live Set will sound. Tones will sound on all the other MIDI channels."
ocomain

Post by ocomain »

In my previous posting I was referring to the Gi receiving or playing back data, as if it was being used as a multi-timbral sound module. In MIDI controller mode it would be transmitting data. Of course, these are 2 different functions!

michael
alpha_C

Post by alpha_C »

I'm sorry ocomain if I insulted you. After reading the manual I was so angry :)
I've always loved Roland's romplers but I hate the direction the company's going to...
For me it's obvious that Gi is NOT 16 multitimbal. If I'm wrong why there is no pc editor ?
It can only play GM files with PenDrive (GM patches)
Sad but true...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

alpha_C, the is Juno-Di with roughly the same sound engine, it's cheaper and it's multitimbral.
tompabes

Post by tompabes »

I'm not saying that the Gi is not good, only that I use 3 keyboards live, one of which is merely an external controller for the Juno and the other is a Nord Stage that sometimes is split in different zones one of wich also controls a sound on the Juno.
I sometimes use up to 5 different patches from the Juno at the same time: 2 on the Juno keyboard, 2 on the external controller and 1 on the Stage (I use a midi merge box to control the juno from two external controllers at the same time).
Before every song in my concert, I just choose the right performance or patch in the Live Settings mode with a single button click and I have all these sounds correctly mapped on the Juno and on the external controllers. If I want to change the sound setup in the middle of a song, I can do it quickly with a single button press by choosing the next performance in the Live Settings mode.
The 16-part performance and the Live Settings mode were two incredible things that put the Juno-G ahead of its competitors: the first feature allows to use all the patches you need at once (and not only 4) and the second one allows you to recall sounds quickly with a single button press during a performance, but Roland removed both.
Since I would not be able to do all these things on the Gi, this is simply the reason why I cannot upgrade. Now maybe that 99% of the current Juno-G users will be perfectly happy with the 4-parts performances of the Gi and no Live Settings mode, but for me this is simply not enough.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Tom, the Stage has the same sound engine and is a pretty fresh new instrument, what in the world would make you want to "upgrade"? I have no idea. Be happy with your Stage, G, or Di - all of them have their unique benefits.
ocomain

Post by ocomain »

alpha_C, apology accepted and I didn't feel insulted in the least...in fact, I had a good chuckle! It's a well known fact that some companies have resorted to posting fake reviews and over time I've become fairly adept at spotting them. And yes, I'm always suspicious of any preview or review that tends to be overly enthusiastic or present everything in glowing terms! My enthusiasm for the Gi is because Roland has in a single keyboard, succeeded in combining several features that I've been craving for quite awhile. It's definitely not the "perfect" solution by any means, but should meet my own needs just fine. I'm really stingy with the gear dollars now & try to take a more long-term approach with any new purchase. I've been sitting on the sidelines watching the release of new product from Roland & Korg especially, liking the direction of some things & frustrated by others.

What I'm trying to understand is why people are feeling so angry, or feel that just because Roland releases a new keyboard, they are compelled to buy...and because it doesn't live up to their expectations or exactly meet their needs, they react in such a negative manner! It seems to me that Roland is just trying to cover different segments of their potential consumer demographic, as well as extend and enhance the investment in their technology. After all, they are a corporation whose purpose is to make money as effectively & efficiently as possible. If people like their products they will buy them...and if they don't, the products will be discontinued...that's the bottom line. Of course, any good company will hopefully listen to its existing customers & do everything they can to keep them coming back for more! We can only hope...
alpha_C

Post by alpha_C »

Artemiy
I've played Juno Di, JunoG and Juno-Stage in the same store, with the same headphones, side by side comparing the same type of sounds.
Yes, Juno Di got all I need except... sound quality. In terms of sound quality my private ranking is following:
Juno Di
Juno G
Juno-Stage / JunoGi
FantomG
(by the way) dont' know where to put FantomX

I can't stand talking that JunoDi has Fantom engine, SonicCell has Fantom engine, everything has Fantom engin but dosen't sound like Fantom...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Your chart seems correct to me, even thought I never heart Di or Stage in person. BTW I'd put Fantom-X on about the same level as Gi, although the Gi did sound slightly more fresh and punchy to my ears. Also, yes the synth engine is 95% the same, but the output stage is not equal in all of teem, that gives most of the difference.