Roland debuts the JUNO-Gi - and what is it?

Forum for JUNO-Gi
Artemiy
Site Admin

Roland debuts the JUNO-Gi - and what is it?

Post by Artemiy »

Here is the official announcement at Roland Connect:
http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=juno-gi

And Roland US page:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?Pro...

If you examine the specifications and feature descriptions, you will understand that the JUNO-Gi is not a JUNO-G successor, it's a different instrument and has it's own concept. So don't try to compare it to the G - it's not a workstation - treat it like an all-new synthesizer.

Now, what would be the key great things about the JUNO-Gi then?

- Trust me, the JUNO-Gi sounds great. The JUNO-Gi has a much more clean and powerful, mature sound compared to the JUNO-G, in fact side by side it indeed sounds like Fantom-G. So I think the converters in it are of the same class.

- It has MIDI and audio via USB (G and Di only have MIDI), so you can use it as a complete interface for your computer.

- The 8-track audio recorder works via the SD card (up to 32 GB), and it records and plays back audio directly - no more long sample loading, your stuff will play almost instantly regardless of the size of the recordings.

- There is no MIDI recorder, but as I understand it can play MIDI files on the USB drive via the Song Player.
MeNotU

Re: Roland debuts the JUNO-Gi - and what is it?

Post by MeNotU »

Thanks for the summary :)

I guess there's an angle somewhere, but there's no way I would sequence a midi file externaly only to import it back and then have no control over it.

I must be dumb, just can't see it etc...

Here's a better question, is the new screen compatable with the Juno-G? - now THAT would have been a masterstroke eh?
tompabes

Post by tompabes »

@MeNotU: I understand your point, but Roland's choice might not be so wrong. I wonder how many Juno-G users use the onboard sequencer to do serious music productionj/editing. The synth is supplied with Sonar LE, and we really can assume that every synth user today has a PC or notebook to connect.
So, is an onboard sequencer really necessary on an instrument of this class, with a small screen and an user interface that surely cannot match high-level instruments like the Fantom-G?
This new Juno seems to be more oriented to live performance, and surely it can do what the old Juno can do, as long as you use a PC for midi composition.
I like it, though I hope that the have changed at least the keyboard, and made the hardware a little more reliable.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I think it's a correct direction for Roland, as tompabes just stated. Not everyone needs or wants to pay for the sequencer, but wants something with more power than the entry-level JUNO-Di.

I wonder though if the Gi has a vocoder like the Di?
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

Tx Tompabes,

I think we could all benefit if there was some kind of statement of philosophy for a launch product that came from the designers. Explaining the reasoning and thinking behind a new design would make the acceptance of change a smoother ride. Everyone is wanting different things, therefore we all stand to be disappointed.

I actualy do use the internal seq because by-passing the PC increases my workflow because I don't have to keep reconsidering settings, and/or cabling, and or QA checking, wondering where THAT bit went, forever checking sync on every playback, crashes etc yawn lol.

The JunoG is also a true portable studio, just add headphones, I can take it to my mates house and record a 20 track tune without a PC.

I'm the opposite, I see no reason to use full blown sonar, the juno has all I need. A simple VGA out so I could view all 20 channels 100 bars long would be heaven.

Therefore the lack of sequencer here rules out my purchase. i secretly wish I did want it, that audio section looks well funky.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I wonder though if the Gi has a vocoder like the Di?

Just saw the Overview video and ... yes, there they are, those fantastic 79: Vocoder settings ;-)
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

Art, you do realise the irony of your post: "...don't try to compare it with the G", followed by your first point about its converters being better than the G's!

The Juno G, from 2006, surely has sufficient quality of audio output for anyone.

What wasn't ever truly raged about (apart from one of my previous rants) was that the internal mixdown quality was evidently woeful. All the high-end sparkle gets completely lost. The only solution is to use an external MIDI+Audio sequencer. To call the audio recorder on the JG an ideas pad is a bit naff in a supposedly pro product in the age of cheap data storage.

Anyway, I wonder if the kids will notice the better converters through their headphones? Surely everyone had their first synth before their first monitors...
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

RobJuno
I think you missunderstood Artemiy

He meant: "don't try to compare it with the **Juno-** G"

and

"side by side it indeed sounds like **Fantom**-G"
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

RobJuno, you're too picky! :-)
jpq

Post by jpq »

I think idea is ok but model name gives impression better version of G not Di. Btw hope we can get someday good roland rompler with nice price... something like Fantom G7 but cheaper...
squeak_D

Post by squeak_D »

This thing is going for $999.00 in the United States. Sweetwater.com now has them up for pre-order.
I AM

Post by I AM »

poor onboard sound editing, no sampler, no seq, not (?) programmable rhythm patterns... same good old XV sample player... exploiting old technologies and a new (?) look... and a build quality?? it supposed to be portable, ie it should be very well build ...
looks like crap to me, unfortunately... no, on the picture it looks nice...8 audio tracks... and who the hell will record 8 tracks by overdubbing on battereys??? and looks like it's only possible to record one track at a time and even not possible to record simultaneously synth and, say guitar or vocal... what year is it now?? 1993 i think... it's better to buy a real portastudio and a real synth for the money... 8 tracks and 4 faders... for the look? or they're motorized?.... better to save money and make menu instead of so nice looking faders...

it's more like amateur casio home keyboard for the price and look of a real synth IMHO

really sorry for negative (
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

No, I got it VCO. My point was "don't do it", followed by it being done. Art got it.
:-) :-)

£849 to £899 advertised so far in UK. Crazy. I'll say it once again, I bought my JG brand new for £625 in 2006.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I AM, how can you talk like that about an instrument that you haven't SEEN or HEARD yet? I find your comments very impolite and disrespectful. Are you just feeling bad today? :-)

Seriously. I at least worked with the JUNO-Gi for several weeks and I know what I am talking about. It sounds a class above JUNO-G and even Fantom-X, because has higher-class output stage, to my ears. I haven't heard the final sound set, however, even the initial one was great and I guarantee that there will be a lot of fantastic sounds in there (because some of them were created by me, of course :-)).

Leave your judgement for when you spend a few hours with a real JUNO-Gi.
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

"Leave your judgement for when you spend a few hours with a real JUNO-Gi. "

...Down by the fire! (Makin sweet love... etc., (Southpark))

Told you I was feeling jovial this morning. Cartoon themed it seems too.