Septimo - "the workstation is dead"

Forum for JUNO-Gi
Septimo

Re: Septimo - "the workstation is dead"

Post by Septimo »

you stated as a categoric fact that "this is the way Roland is going",

No I didn't... You missed a keyword.. "think".. I said, "this is where I think Roland is going...

I'm not trying to submit people into agreeing with me...

All I'm trying to do is get people to partly agree with me, and see things in a common sense way... You still get to keep your full opinions even if they are wrong or right. But let''s see...
So In summary, in a way i will partly agree with you:
for ROLAND the workstation will be dead if it does not work effectively with their own software...

You're coming around... ;)
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

In the end, i think its no good trying to make a closed system like a workstation do more than it is programed to do or what you would like it to do when it cannot.
If time is a premium, you need to have a clear idea how you want to work before you begin or purchase you next piece of gear.
I have spent much time with the G and have i believe reached its outer limits when it comes to configuration work flow and sound design.
Its all second nature now and i hardly hit brick wall because i have learned to work within its limits but even though its good enough to create masters it is time consuming when you try to do it all in the one box.
Time to break out...
external DAW either hardware or software will open up more possibilities and release you from any confines of the G.
once you break out.. you realize a workstation is not the be all end all, its only the beginning.
The debate on if the workstation is dead will be revealed in it own time, but until then the best thing to do, is figure how you want to work and the best method to achieve your goals, then work/build towards those goals with the type of gear you purchase, but don't put all your eggs in one basket or you will run out of room to maneuver very quickly.
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

The debate on if the workstation is dead will be revealed in it own time, but until then the best thing to do, is figure how you want to work and the best method to achieve your goals, then work/build towards those goals with the type of gear you purchase, but don't put all your eggs in one basket or you will run out of room to maneuver very quickly.

Amen, Quinnx.... Amen.
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

You're spot on there, the day my Juno-G screen finaly collapsed was the day I found myself down a dead end road, and the only way out is to spend money.

But it is also usualy incorrect to throw money at a problem, any idiot can do that, (including governments lol).

I was let down on reliability, not technology.

Hardware will always have reliability problems, software will always have obsoletion and maintainence problems.

I could have spent $20k on pc programs in the last 15 years, and right now I would have very little to show for it unless I continued upgrading it. That's definately throwing money at a problem WITHOUT there being a problem.

Much rather have $20k of synths collection, maybe just maybe, one of them would still be working, probably the Yamaha I guess :)
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

Much Ado About Nothing
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Julio And Romiette! ;-)