JUNO-Gi + future iOS sequencers?

Forum for JUNO-Gi
Artemiy
Site Admin

JUNO-Gi + future iOS sequencers?

Post by Artemiy »

Guys, please have a look at this topic:
http://forums.rolandclan.com/?action=show_thread&thread...

I think this can be a terrific new way to produce your music. Record your JUNO-Gi into a sophisticated and easy to use, touch-based sequencer on iPod, iPhone or iPad. Or use various synthesizers to record into Gi's audio tracks. Since both would run on batteries, you can do it anywhere you want...

The future is much brighter than you may think! :-)
RobJuno

Re: JUNO-Gi + future iOS sequencers?

Post by RobJuno »

Christ almighty... are you working for Apple now too??? (I've followed the link)

What about grown-ups who don't want to buy an Apple iAnything?

Your post might just about see me leave this forum site!

What the HELL is wrong with Roland producing products they were capable of decades ago?????????????
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

"What about grown-ups who don't want to buy an iAnything? "

LMAO - I feel your pain, but be careful, you are getting close to the word 'dinosaur'
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

Dinosaur? Well I don't know where you are in the world MeNotU, but here in the UK we've just hd a series of documentaries on TV that ultimately discussed religion (for that read Islam) on British society. Within Britain's Pakistani 'community' (for that read 'self-segregating') 50% on average are married to their first cousins (75% in Bradford - concentrated community) and despite (allegedly) only 1.5% of the total British population being pakistani, 30% of children with genetic diseases come from this section of society. (A clue - don't marry your own family!) But we can't criticise. Next documentary, regarding faith schools, they're supposed to teach OUR national curriculum, but when asking kids in a SCIENCE class if humans evolved... 100% said we did not!!!

So, never mind the state of synthesis. Society the world over is torn between the Muppet kids who see value in gimmicky toys, and those who are living in the dark ages. As for dinosaurs... surely they are merely lies in the minds and mouths of the infidels!

(FYI, I have written nothing racist here!)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

RobJuno, sorry but you do sound quite a bit strange!

Speaking in your way - 20-30 years ago, you would probably have said that a synthesizer is a gimmicky toy for those who can't play a real piano. Maybe you'll also say that the arpeggiator is a gimmicky toy for people who have no music hearing.

I think your negative reaction is coming from not understanding the new devices, how they work compared to what we knew, what are their benefits.

And I would like you to please not accuse me of working for someone, I work for myself and for my family. I share my experience and my ideas with people here, free of charge. If you don't like them, nobody is pushing on you to like them.
alpha_C

Post by alpha_C »

Artemiy, have you already found out if Gi is capable to play 16-track simultaneously?
It just a simple question, so what's the problem ?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

alpha_C, I haven't had a chance to play a production JUNO-Gi yet, or hear such information from my friends - I don't think the Gi is shipping already.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

It seems, especially here, the iPod/iPad has increasingly filled the vacuum created by Fantom-G shortcomings and missing features of latest Roland products.
And I would like you to please not accuse me of working for someone, I work for myself and for my family.

I don't understand why you take this so personally(defensively) mate. It's somewhat of a compliment if you did work for them. At least then you couldn't be confused with simply being spellbound by the cult of apple.

RobJuno didn't accuse you of anything; he asked a simple question. Plus, even if your endorsements were on their payroll, you'd still be working for yourself and family.

Anyways, so how does this iOS sequencing stuff work? I mean, do you put the iPad on your lap? How do you hold your iPod while sequencing chords? I don't have any room on my desk. Should I consider removing my DAW and forgoing my monitors for earbuds too?

What I'm getting at is, I don't see this 'future' now(the entire industry has a lot of catching up to do if that were the case) and while I appreciate staying ahead of the curve, there is much to be said about the bleeding edge too.
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

I think you said you have no room for the future on your desk? lol

I think Art is saying - make room.

It's a state of confusion however, a flux of change, with no-one knowing where it will end up. Roland are in that group as well, makes the Gi look like a middle of the road, safe bet, fill the gap whilst we see what happens effort.

Looking at the alternative tablets available (on mashable.com), a lot of them are just a laptop without the keyboard, but more important is portability and multi touch screens. I think the tech world may have got carried away with the portability thing, it's nice but doesn't concern us.

So yes, swop your PC for a simple flatscreen that has multi touch capability, and it seems much simpler.

Now stick that tablet into a synth, give the synth an updatable OS, and we may be talking future hardware. The soft synth thing is a red herring - it has to be, they have been around for decades, nothing has changed except for the funky touchscreen portability. I was running and sequencing Rebirth into Cubase with controllers on a pentium 133, what's new?

14 months of flux, then Roland release their NEKO.

Don't believe the hype :)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

dbijoux, I would like you not to forget about the topic of this discussion - it's about the JUNO-Gi that has a synthesizer and audio track recorder, but has no sequencer.

I am not trying to persuade you to buy a JUNO-Gi or iPad, or anything else I mentioned. I am just trying to show how an example combination of devices that makes sense, in my point of view, for music production.

I am also not trying to say that this is the only way people will make music in the future, of course not.

I have a success with this concept and I am sharing it. What's exactly wrong in what I am trying to do? If someone doesn't like JUNO-Gi's proposed way of doing things and my ideas for how the synth can be used, why would he spend so much time in the JUNO-Gi forum?
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

Oops sorry (again) Art, guess I was off subject too.

We hang our Ipads off our Juno-Gi for a couple of years and all is cool with the audio, and we get the idea, and then we say, let's integrate this?

Didn't we do the same with PC and synth already? Wasn't that the idea of the workstation? Are we going in circles maybe?

The Gi is not a clear message from Roland.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I haven't forgotten the topic and I even see the ? in the title. ^^

As for the inference I don't like the Juno-Gi, I don't think that's the case at all. I'm trying to get my head around what the Gi does and if it is changing the game(so to say). If some sounds negative, forgive me, I am allowed an opinion, am i not?

It's not like the Juno-Gi has even been released, leaving this forum open mostly to conjecture.

Anyways, I was really being serious when I asked what you do with your iPod or iPad when you work with it. I truly have limited space and cannot quite conceive the notion of holding(or dropping) an iPod while I am recording. Multitouch or not, this core idea of iPod/iPad studio strikes me as obscure at best.

You do realize your product endorsements are looked upon by members and visitors here and taken seriously? As you didn't reply to the accusation bit, I can only imagine you realize the position of authority on the subject you have and this is why you are so quick to defend. I'm not implying there is a conflict of interest, just curious why this is such a problem for you.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

dbijoux, there are times when I express my opinion with a little bit of passion, and some people start saying that I have been paid to post this. Such false and unfair claims upset me quite a bit indeed, this is why the discussion goes into discussing the discussion... I sincerely hope you understand.

Much better when people take my product endorsements seriously - because I do think I am showing something that's both exciting and productive.

As for your question, you would use multi-touch tablet device for recording in the same kind of scenarios you'd use your laptop. However, their advantage is direct access to your creations with you fingers. I don't know if you ever worked with such devices for more than a few days - but if you do, you will notice a huge difference vs. mouse access. Not only you point directly with your finger, but you also can touch and manipulate multiple objects at the same time, something the mouse cannot do.

In addition, these new devices are much more compact and have longer battery life. Their screens and operating systems are designed to unobtrusively perform a single task that you easily concentrate on. The result of all of this, is a much more direct, quick and satisfying workflow.

Are you seeing the advantages now?

Also, have you had a look at my NanoStudio screenshots? It's sequencer, in terms of editing, is way more efficient and pleasant to use than all those I've ever used in any of hardware workstations. How can this be worse for us, musicians?
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

Performing a single task - here we go again - backwards. How do we run 2 soft synths, a drum machine and our sequencer at the same time? We can't access our song lyric documents without closing the mixer?

What program is going to allow us to integrate all our soft devices so we can have this 1 app open?

Access to your creation with your fingers? Like a synth you mean?

Touching a screen is gimmicky, we need to see past this - and I don't see anything.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

"Single task" - I mean "making music", I think you misunderstood me.
Touching a screen is gimmicky

Everyone can have his opinion, of course. But I think that the less there happens between you and what you create, the better. If you don't agree - I think you are very, very wrong.
I don't see anything

Sorry for you, then :-)