Quantizer

Forum for JUNO-Gi
OhioBuckeye

Quantizer

Post by OhioBuckeye »

Does anyone know if the GI will include a quantizer for the digital recording? I wold think so but I don't see anything related to this in anything I've read so far.

Thanks

OB
I AM

Re: Quantizer

Post by I AM »

a quantizer for the digital recording

what is it?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Audio quantization is exclusive to high-profile DAWs for now, the JUNO-Gi doesn't yet have it according to the specs.
OhioBuckeye

Post by OhioBuckeye »

The Juno G has it I believe. I think a quantizer is important when doing recording.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

It's important to ask, why do you think a quantizer is important?

You are correct about the Juno G, it has a sequencer with MIDI quantize functions. They are a bit limited, however, to grid and 1/8 or 1/16th note shuffle, but also has 70 some templates too.
OhioBuckeye

Post by OhioBuckeye »

I think it's important because I can more quickly make a full song with things like drums/beats and other layers when I have a quantizer.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

OhioBuckeye, you asked about "audio quantizer" and not "note quantizer", these are different things.

Every sequencer Roland has ever made has a note quantization feature. However, the JUNO-Gi has NO sequencer - it has an audio recorder. The concept of this instrument is different from the JUNO-G. If you want an inexpensive, powerful Roland machine with a sequencer - you should buy the JUNO-G.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Excellent answer OB.

Juno-Gi does come packaged with Sonar LE 8.5. You'll find what you are looking for there.
I AM

Post by I AM »

and what is audio quantizer?? never heard of such a thing
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I AM, shame, shame on you :-) Most if not all modern DAWs have this feature. Basically they split your track into slices (by detecting audio peaks), and try to align these slices to the time grid.

Here is the "enhance timing" option on an audio track in GarageBand:
I AM

Post by I AM »

shame, shame on me, foolish farter))... really i knew this like "time warp" and thought maybe i miss something.... this reduces sound quality often
secret Roland agent

Post by secret Roland agent »

Well? In regards to sound quality concerns . . .

One-dimensional propagation of transient waves in dispersive media has traditionally been treated mostly in the frequency domain. I personally find that time domain methods are an alternative to frequency domain methods, in that they facilitate the physical interpretation of the results, the numerical implementation is simpler and the solutions obtained in the time domain automatically satisfy causality.

The main purpose for the development of a time domain method for dispersive media was to solve the inverse problem, i.e. finding the memory function which characterizes the medium, from reflection or transmission data. This is equivalent of finding the dispersion relation in the frequency domain. The same method can be applied to direct scattering from isotropic inhomogeneous dispersive media.

Just my 'two cents' . . .
sRa

I AM

Post by I AM »

sRa, do you mean that when i say sound quality reduced, other say sounds different ?
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

What he really meant was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBHONx9vTtI

I'd explain further, but certainly it would [Deleted by secret Roland agent].