Juno Gi doesn't have 16 track MIDI sequencer

Forum for JUNO-Gi
junoguy

Juno Gi doesn't have 16 track MIDI sequencer

Post by junoguy »

Juno G did, but Gi doesn't lol :) Keep going backwards, Roland.
I AM

Re: Juno Gi doesn't have 16 track MIDI sequencer

Post by I AM »

on the other hand, our JG is still valuable... no price drop as it could be if JG successor would be out now))
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Yeah, and Juno Stage was 6 octave and the Gi is "just" 5. Shame on Roland ;-)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

JUNO-G had 4 audio tracks, JUNO-Gi has 8.
JUNO-G has slow loading of samples from card into RAM, JUNO-Gi streams them instantly from a high-speed SD card.
JUNO-G had USB MIDI, JUNO-Gi has USB MIDI + audio.

Keep going backwards, junoguy! :-)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

And... To me, Juno-Gi is not a follow-up of the Juno-G, which was a entry level workstation, it is in turn a complete different board, with a completely different aproach.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Artemiy, you can be as snarky as the rest of us sometimes. (just an observation)
JUNO-G had 4 audio tracks, JUNO-Gi has 8

Juno-G has 4 stereo tracks. Juno-Gi has 8 mono tracks. Semantics? The Juno-Gi has 64 virtual tracks, but only plays 8 at a time. Is that an upgrade?

It should be pretty obvious, with sampling, you have even more than this on the Juno-G. (The polyphony maths should hold up.)
JUNO-G has slow loading of samples from card into RAM, JUNO-Gi streams them instantly from a high-speed SD card.

Are you a salesman? Really? Instantly? Isn't RAM instantly enough? Okay, more semantics, the Juno-Gi can stream. Please, someone tell what that is useful for in reality.
JUNO-G had USB MIDI, JUNO-Gi has USB MIDI + audio.

Should I be jealous? Nah, PauloF's summed it up nicely, not a workstation.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

dbijoux, I just responded in the same key as the topic starter. You're taking me too seriously even when I put a smile in my message! :-)

A few things:

- I didn't know the Gi's tracks are mono, where is this information?
- I didn't write about playback/recording from/to RAM, please re-read my message. I wrote that JUNO-G's loading time from card into RAM is slow and it's true just as for Fantom-X
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

You should know ! = not, and you forgot to wink. ;-)

I don't think they are advertising the fact the tracks are mono; you may have to read between the lines.

As for loading time, true, the samples have to load when you turn on the board. However, it's not like streaming from SD card is the same as, oh let's say, the Motif XF. IMO, it's not a very strong selling point and certainly doesn't make up for the shortcomings.

Let's just say it like it is, the Juno-Gi is not an upgrade to the Juno-G, nor is it a workstation.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

the Juno-Gi is not an upgrade to the Juno-G, nor is it a workstation.

...but I already said this in my very first post in the JUNO-Gi forum:
http://forums.rolandclan.com/?action=show_thread&thread...
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

b'gosh golly.

Maybe you edited it ;-p

Oh well, I've repeated it twice now too and have a feeling it will come up again.
junoguy

Post by junoguy »

Ok Artemiy, I missed the USB for simultaneous MIDI/Audio...that is definitely better than the MIDI only usb in Juno-G. At least we can get digital audio output into a softie sequencer like Cubase or Sonar...a plus for sure.

I see Roland's point here is to integrate the Juno-Gi with a laptop setup. Kinda inconvenient if I don't want to haul laptop+keyboard around. But it's great for travelling musicians who don' t want to take the Motif XF, M3 or Fantom G around in an airplane.

Speaking of airplanes, based on your travel experience, can the Juno-Gi fit in the overhead compartment in an ATA case? Or does it have to go in the cargo compartment?

Another question, can we use the Roland hardware effects on software tracks via USB similar to Yamaha or Korg's Firewire?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

@junoguy,
Another question, can we use the Roland hardware effects on software tracks via USB similar to Yamaha or Korg's Firewire?

Can you explain exactly what you want to do? As (for me) its not clear.
Thanks 
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

If a Roland instrument has a USB audio interface, then yes, you can get audio from your computer and back through the effects processors. Fantom-G does this very well, Juno- Gi should be capable of this too.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Why comparing this new synth with Motif XF???
There's no possible comparison...compare it with Yamaha synths (where are they ???), not with the Flagship workstation...

A little off topic if I may...
Just a side comment on the XF... After reading lots of posts on motifator and seeing specs and a few videos...
It is not a new workstation at all, really just a "Fixed" and updated XS... In black ;-)
Very nice board, but not a new workstation...
ocomain

Post by ocomain »

I think the audio tracks in the Gi's recorder section are mono because if you look at the keyboard's display during Roland's official Juno-Gi audio recording demo, you will see a Stereo Link Menu & the Pan pots on a couple of adjacent tracks are panned hard left & right.

Michael