Importing samples into JUNO-Gi's audio tracks

Forum for JUNO-Gi
Artemiy
Site Admin

Importing samples into JUNO-Gi's audio tracks

Post by Artemiy »

Hey all!

I'd like to ask a question to those who have worked with Gi's audio tracks. If you tried importing samples there, do you need to set the tempo of the sample so that it's synchronized with the current tempo? Also, can you copy/paste a sample in an audio track to make it repeat several times? Like for a drum loop etc.

Thanks!
mgmg4871

Re: Importing samples into JUNO-Gi's audio tracks

Post by mgmg4871 »

Artemiy, there is a tempo link function but what it does is link the keyboard tempo to the recorder. Not sure if that answers your question. if you record the sample into the recorder and set the tempo link this would be possible. There is a copy function in the recorder view. You can select a specific region to be copied. So the answer is yes for copying and pasting.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Thanks for your reply! My main question is, if you import a sample that is playing at 130 BPM, and your song recorder is set to 140 BPM, is there a way you can have the sample match the song tempo?
dan_kolpakov

Post by dan_kolpakov »

Artemiy wrote:Thanks for your reply! My main question is, if you import a sample that is playing at 130 BPM, and your song recorder is set to 140 BPM, is there a way you can have the sample match the song tempo?
No, there isn't. Gi doesn't do time-stretching (this it confirmed in the user manual as well).
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

This is too bad... :-( Weird why Roland didn't throw in the same technology they use in other gear.
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Artemiy wrote:This is too bad... :-( Weird why Roland didn't throw in the same technology they use in other gear.
They were obviously saving money on the Gi. It sometimes feels like a half finished product. By that I don't mean there are problems with it. Everything works fine but, it feels like it started out life as an upgraded Juno G and then they shelved the idea and when with a simple and much cheaper (to make) rompler with and audio recorder tacked on.

I knew it has no sampler before I bought it and hence no sample manipulation functions such as time stretch however I also forgot that meant I could not import new sound sets and samples (no software editor/librarian). Yes you can record a sample but that's not the same thing as having a sampler because you cannot manipulate that recording in the same way.

Although the Juno Gi sounds good I think it's a bit of a turkey.