Juno Gi or Yamaha MOX?

Forum for JUNO-Gi
mgmg4871

Re: Juno Gi or Yamaha MOX?

Post by mgmg4871 »

I mix everything on board because I use it basically for live performance. I will eventually use the Ableton live for live performances when I get a computer that can handle the cpu consumption of the vst's. ableton is excellent for live performances.
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Actually that's exactly what the MOX reminds me of, a sort of MM6 on steroids. It has the same feel to it in terms of how it's built. It does sound better but it should given that it is based on the XS however it is only "based" on the XS. Many people think it's the same thing just cut down and it isn't. Although saying that I wasn't impressed with the XS either which is why I got rid of it a bought a Fantom G. Had the G for quite a while and would still have it had circumstances not intervened.

Anyway will let you all know what I think once I get my hands on the Juno Gi
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

well, i think it was the mo6 that was based on the es, but regardless your point is spot on..."based on", "derived from" is not the same as "is" ....
PauloF wrote:
Don't forget the MOX is somewhat the new MM6, which was based on the ES but not exactly the ES...
This MOX is based on the XS, but a cut down version...and what a cut !!!
DJ RAZZ

Post by DJ RAZZ »

yamahaforums wrote:Just wanted to add, should I also maybe look at the GW8? Isn't it the same as the Juno Gi but without the audio recorder?
The Juno Gi is very different than the GW8. A much larger sound library, more live performance features minus the arranger stuff, Fantom G sounds, split and layers are far easier and better as well.

For live in a group or studio piece the Gi wins out. For a solo thing I would want both.

RAZZ
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Yeah I bought the Gi although thinking about it now I could just as easily have saved myself a lot of money and bought the Di. It's the same keyboard minus the built in audio recorder. Given that my keyboard spends it's entire life sitting in front of my iMac is there really any need for the audio recording function when I can do that via the computer?
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

yup..i dont get the fascination of a built in audio recorder ..its the one thing everybody can do simply and cheaply with a computer.. and, if you want to use extra gear you will end up using midi anyway.
yamahaforums wrote:Yeah I bought the Gi although thinking about it now I could just as easily have saved myself a lot of money and bought the Di. It's the same keyboard minus the built in audio recorder. Given that my keyboard spends it's entire life sitting in front of my iMac is there really any need for the audio recording function when I can do that via the computer?
the GW8 is also derived from the Fantom G (sonic cell), and in fact the first debut of some of the patches in the Gi was in the GW8.. and yes, sure you can only play live 2 parts in split/layer vs 4..but the arranger gives you up to six ( i think) additional parts to mix in and the style editor and improved (v2) sequencer adds serious flexibility... personally i see the GW8 (or the korg equivalent) as the ideal transitional instrument from consumer hic arranger keyboards to decent workstation/synth
DJ RAZZ wrote:
yamahaforums wrote:Just wanted to add, should I also maybe look at the GW8? Isn't it the same as the Juno Gi but without the audio recorder?
The Juno Gi is very different than the GW8. A much larger sound library, more live performance features minus the arranger stuff, Fantom G sounds, split and layers are far easier and better as well.

For live in a group or studio piece the Gi wins out. For a solo thing I would want both.

RAZZ
DJ RAZZ

Post by DJ RAZZ »

I tell you despite the added features, I think the Gi just sounds better and has better sounds to work with. That being said I was shocked when the GW8 got an overhaul in 2.0. Roland is so random that way. Just when you think something is a lost cause this will happen; or it won't. Why Roland WHY????
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

I'm pretty sure the GW8 sounds are derived from the Fantom X range not the Fantom G. Quote from Roland's own description of the GW8 "Contemporary music workstation with high-quality 128-voice sound engine derived from Rolands renowned Fantom-X Series "

Anyway RAZZ as you know I went for the Juno Gi...minus software editor!! :(
DJ RAZZ

Post by DJ RAZZ »

yamahaforums wrote:I'm pretty sure the GW8 sounds are derived from the Fantom X range not the Fantom G. Quote from Roland's own description of the GW8 "Contemporary music workstation with high-quality 128-voice sound engine derived from Rolands renowned Fantom-X Series "

Anyway RAZZ as you know I went for the Juno Gi...minus software editor!! :(
Good for you I am enjoying mine as a live board thoroughly minus that damn 88 grand sample; love the sound hate the clipping noise.