Gi sounds- what's the trick?

Forum for JUNO-Gi
Koks

Gi sounds- what's the trick?

Post by Koks »

Hi all,
Just wondering how Gi can sound good if it has so few OSCs ?
...in prior Junos there were 4 tones(WGs) with two waves (LR) in each possible. So one part theoretically can produce 8 sounds simultaneously.
Now, looking at GI's midi implementation I see two OSCs for Solo part (good but not so much) and the rest three parts... are hidden somewhere and ...not editable.
I've got an impression that Roland just sampled thousand of sounds from FG and pack it into Gi as ready to use tones, which are produced by one fixed generator as in simplest rompler ?
Or I took it wrong? Please correct me then..
Mystic38

Re: Gi sounds- what's the trick?

Post by Mystic38 »

Yes, you are wrong... The patch structure is identical to juno g, fantom x, sonic cell, fantom g etc
Koks

Post by Koks »

Thanks ! I own M50 at present. Will you recommend to go to Gi then ?
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

what is it about the M50 you do not like?.. i see the Gi more as an alternative to that, not necessarily an upgrade..
Koks wrote:Thanks ! I own M50 at present. Will you recommend to go to Gi then ?
Koks

Post by Koks »

Agree, these are alternatives. Just IMO... M50 has a lot of arps but these are not sequences i need and the arp logic works but totaly unhuman. I made a couple of arps for myself and don't want to continue this brain washing.
And you can't load drum patterns you need. There is RPPR function to workaround for it but cant accept it's logic as well.
I even know how to make software to fill these gaps but spending time on programming instead of playing music is bad idea.

And about Gi-is it possible to load patches from G or Stage to user banks of Gi ?
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Well, there is no possiblity to program arps in the Gi, and downloading arps into the user area are not arps anyway, they are step sequences.
You are aware there is no sequencer in the Gi?.. this makes it fundamentally the opposite workflow to the M50 in terms of recording.
Koks

Post by Koks »

Not so interesting in sequencer. It is much more convenient to work with Sonar in my case.
Thanks for comment on arps, did not realize it just step sequnces when reading manual.