Chord Memory Function Not Working?

Forum for JUNO-Gi
yamahaforums

Chord Memory Function Not Working?

Post by yamahaforums »

Not sure if it's something I am doing wrong but, If I set the chord memory to work on the lower part of the keyboard nothing happens, no chords play. If however I set it to upper or both it then works so what am I missing here? I thought the main use would be to have chords play on the lower half of the board and I could then play a melody on the upper part...or have I misunderstood how this works?
mgmg4871

Re: Chord Memory Function Not Working?

Post by mgmg4871 »

Looks like another bug. I you lower the octave to -2 and below you can here the chord but it's so muffled it's useless. You are not missing anything but Roland is (a major update).
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Aha so it's a bug! Ok not happy with that. If somethings not working how it should then Roland should fix it. That should never have gotten past quality control. It may be a minor thing an probably not many people will use it but it's part of the feature set and as such should work. Thanks for the heads up.
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Heard back from Roland UK about this. There first suggestion was to update to the latest firmware. Not sure why they suggested that as V1.02 hardly has any changes in it. Still I updated but it's the same. No surprises there then. Now they have just written back and said they will pass this on to Japan and get back to me when they receive a reply. So what's up with just picking up the phone and asking the bods in Japan to check the chord memory function?
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

A) how is your japanese?
B) time zone difference means there is nobody to talk to anyway
C) a voice mail or phone call is not a traceable path of communication
D) they may have a logging bug report system

How's that?..:)
yamahaforums wrote: So what's up with just picking up the phone and asking the bods in Japan to check the chord memory function?
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Yep your right, didn't think about that. In a bit of a hurry to get a fix so didn't engage my brain before my mouth went off on one LOL

You see for many of you as keyboard players it will not be an issue but for me it is because my main instrument is guitar so I need all the help I can get on the keyboard. The lower chord memory function would be great for me, if it worked. Hence why I am a bit miffed that it doesn't :( Well, guess I will just have to be patient and wait for a fix.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Mystic38 wrote:A) how is your japanese?
B) time zone difference means there is nobody to talk to anyway
C) a voice mail or phone call is not a traceable path of communication
D) they may have a logging bug report system

How's that?..:)
yamahaforums wrote: So what's up with just picking up the phone and asking the bods in Japan to check the chord memory function?
SRAは?誰かがあなたを必要とする場合、ここでですか?

sRa ? here are you when someone needs you? ;-)
mgmg4871

Post by mgmg4871 »

I found out that to use the lower keys for chord memory you have to split the keyboard.
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Yeah you do have to split the keyboard but for some reason doing that makes the lower keys almost unusable for chords. I only get around five usable keys and then the chords are too low to be heard. I did check to make sure I hadn't got the octave button activated.

This chord memory thing is just not as intuitive or useful as they make out in the demos.
5thElement

Post by 5thElement »

Can't you choose the split point to give more keys in the left hand (although 61 note keyboards aren't great for splits)?

If the left hand chords are too low can't you just up the octave parameter in the patch(s) used for the left hand split by +1 or +2 or doesn't this work

Roland have had the chord memory function on several keyboards now. It always worked well in my experience.
mgmg4871

Post by mgmg4871 »

You're right 5thelement. You can choose where to split the keyboard and if the chords are too low you can up the octave on the individual lower tone you are using in the liveset edit screen. I believe it's the pitch tab that allows you to change the octave.
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Yeah it worked well on the Fantom G and Fantom X but seems to be not so well implemented on the Juno Gi. Of course it's not a big deal in the scheme of things and what you suggested does work so it's fine :)
mitch

Post by mitch »

Correct Chord memory function doesn't work!!!

While the Juno Gi is designed to allow playing of chords in the lower layer,you can NOT set chords to play in the lower layer .

If you just concentrate on the chord memory button as described in the manual you will find that the settings as described do not work.
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

I actually got rid of the Juno Gi in the end. It's the first Roland keyboard I have actually been disappointed with enough to say I was very happy to see it go! For me it was a bad buying decision and I certainly will not be making that mistake again. Roland's customer service was not great either.

Think I will stick to Korg or Yamaha in future.