Juno Gi Loading/Mapping Custom Patches

Forum for JUNO-Gi
lifeonthecurb

Juno Gi Loading/Mapping Custom Patches

Post by lifeonthecurb »

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so just in case, here's some background information which I've made as concise as possible because it may or may not be relevant.

1. I can't actually play anything on a keyboard. I just play around with sounds and such.
2. My opinions and knowledge of synthesizers and workstations is mostly derived from trips to Guitar Center over the past 20 years and websites.
3. I got a Roland EM-10 many years ago which I enjoyed for about 6 months before someone stole it.
4. I love music.
5. I become re-interested in learning to play and knowing all there is to know in this area after watching this guy on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/user/DX5. He seems to know his way around a keyboard and makes me feel like everything I've done in life so far is a waste.
6. I have several soft synths and related software including Kontakt 4. My current keyboard is a Casio CTK-512 (Pitch bend buttons are a cruel joke on this) connected to the PC via a USB M-Audio UNO device and use the ASIO driver which gets me a 42ms latency (not perfect, but I don't notice it).

I have my eyes set on purchasing the Juno Gi because:

1. I've seen just about all the promotional videos there are about it and the propaganda has taken effect. (including this one which is bizarre but awesome, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hFKsW0EURE)
2. The hands on at Guitar Center convinced me that the sound is just what I'm looking for and the keyboard is not soft and mushy like the Korg M50.
3. Built-in multi-track recording!
4. Looks like I might be able to take it everywhere.

However, currently what I want the most is to be able to export patches made in Kontakt and import them into the Juno Gi. Here is the imaginary process in my vision.

1. Record stuff around the house, people and things using Audacity and saved as .wav
2. Import these things into Kontakt and create several patches based on this.
3. One patch might be one sound mapped across the entire keyboard.
4. One patch might be someones voice recorded at the correct pitch at several or all positions on the keyboard.
5. One patch might be misc sounds mapped across the keyboard along with samples from different synths split into 4 parts on keyboard.
6. I figure I'll need a third party tool to do the export from Kontakt, but I'm unsure how to make sure the target device (synth) will be able to accept the level of configuration I want.

From my research it seems that this will be possible using a Fantom, V-Synth or Juno Gi. However, I don't know at what level this is possible and if I will be able to do what I want. I don't want to have to remap the patch after its been imported. And I want to be able to utilize samples at different pitches and velocities for each patch.
Mystic38

Re: Juno Gi Loading/Mapping Custom Patches

Post by Mystic38 »

there is no sampling in the GI..
lifeonthecurb

Post by lifeonthecurb »

Facepalm!
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Yes unfortunately unlike the Juno G there is no sampler and hence no sample import feature. As far as I know there isn't even an editor/librarian for the Juno Gi although the Di got one. We seem to have been left on the back burner for some reason :(