16 part multi-timbral issue

Forum for JUNO-Gi
dbsch

16 part multi-timbral issue

Post by dbsch »

Hi from Turkey.

I am about to purchase a new synth and seriously thinking for Gi.
I have read all the user manual+ almost all posts in this thread and I used to have XP-1O & RS-70 in the past as well.

But I still need some clarifications from the experienced users like you and would appreciate if you could help.

My questions are;

1)What I understand so far is however Gi is 16 part multi-timbral as per manual, you are only be able to access 4 parts without any software like Cubase, Sonar etc. and these 4 parts are called a "live set" together.
So there is no "performance feature" like I used to have on XP & RS where I could be able accees all 16 parts and even can route specific part/parts to another parts.

Am Icorrect?

2) When I import a midi file to Gi, let's say with 7 parts, downloaded from web, I won't be able to assing Gi's own sounds to the parts and I will only be able to listen or use it with GM2 sounds inside the Gi. This should also be related with accessing parts on Gi without a software I guess.

Am I correct?

3) I have a simple midi controller at home. With Gi, I would be able to connect Gi & my controller as JUNO GI MIDI IN >>> MIDI OUT Midi Conroller and use the sound set of Gi on Midi controller.
My question is , is it possible to use them at the same like while having an "x" patch on Gi, having "Y" patch on another part of Gi routed to Midi conttoller? So that I could use it on stage?
As an example let's suppose;
I have a piano patch on "Part 1" on Gi.
"Part 7" is assigned to a brass sect. patch and midi Transmit & Receive setting on each device is set to part 7.
Am I be able to play 2 isntruments at the same time like this?

Hope my english is O.K for what I am trying to say :)

Thanks in advance.
dbsch

Re: 16 part multi-timbral issue

Post by dbsch »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
With a DAW we are able to control all parts of Gi I guess.

I still do not understand why Roland went to this direction while disabling control of parts from Gi where you can do it on older models like G,Stage etc.

Maybe they'll fix this with an OS update as I have seen posts on this thread where many other users suffer from thi multi timbral thing..

We'll see..
mgmg4871

Post by mgmg4871 »

I have to agree with you MethodicMind. The way to go is record the livesets as audio. Keeping in mind you can't solely do it with the Juno Gi audio interface. You can use the Juno for audio in but you must use a secondary audio interface for output.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

This is presumably because the Gi has no sequencer...And they figured that four parts is enough for anyone to play live... And this is not wrong assumption.. RD700nx, s70xs and other stage synths are four parts ..or lesss

dbsch wrote:Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
With a DAW we are able to control all parts of Gi I guess.

I still do not understand why Roland went to this direction while disabling control of parts from Gi where you can do it on older models like G,Stage etc.

Maybe they'll fix this with an OS update as I have seen posts on this thread where many other users suffer from thi multi timbral thing..

We'll see..
dbsch

Post by dbsch »

Hi

After all your valauble inputs; I continued my search also checked Di as well as decide on board audio recorder is not so important for me.

When compared Dİ & Gi

- Di has an editor where you may reach all 16 parts of the keyboard and after all you save your muti parts setuo as a "perfom". In Gi this is not possible.
- You may split the keyboard on Di up to 16 via editor but with Gi only up to 2

I will of course not use all 16 parts together or not split the keyboard onto 16 but I need to know the limits of both..

Besides all;
Most important sound that I will be using will brass section type of sounds.
Can you compare brass sect. sounds on Gi & Di if you had experienced it...Do they differ that much ?

And at last
What I will do with it will be as follows;
1) Playing live on a cover band which will need brass section, hammonnds, piano and some pads..( I will need multi part performance memories ( even to divide keyboard onto 4-5 for some specific sounds etc.)
2) I Have Cubase LE4 already. I will download some midi files via web. Change GM sounds with GI or DI sounds and record some guitars with my digitech record ready processor via USB and then export as MP3 and finally will use them on some one man gigs etc.

What'S your suggestions..
Would DI will be enough for me or shoudl I go to GI instead.
In our country there's 600 USD difference between 2 unfortunately. Bur this is not issue for the moment as I will buy it probably use it for more than 7*8 years.

Or do you think STAGE would be an option. There'S another USD 400 on top Gi's price for the Stage..

Thanks in advance.
mgmg4871

Post by mgmg4871 »

It's true the Gi has only a 2 part split but you can still assign 2 instruments to the lower and 2 to the upper, and also choose what region of the keyboard they play in and what octave. So realistically you get a 4 way split. You may also want to look at the Juno G which is about $300 less than the Gi and it has a 16 track sequencer and sampling ability.
dbsch

Post by dbsch »

Yes, G is a good solution indeed but unfortunately it is discontinued in here & impossible to find brand new one. No second hand option for the time being as well.
As a result I need to choose from GI or DI or even Stage, according to my needs mentioned on above posts, which I can not decide at the moment :(
donutninja

Post by donutninja »

dbsch,

Go for the stage if you need the 16 part multi-timbral. It's got 76 keys (which really comes in handy when you need many different zones/layers), but is still light. The keybed is much better than the G or Gi, so it's easier to play. 2 SRX expansion slots make it easy to expand to suit your needs.

Another great feature is the ability to play .wav and .mp3 files directly from a thumb drive, with the click of a button. If the G is not available, then the stage is certainly comparable, and looks like it will do what you need.
dbsch

Post by dbsch »

Thansk for your suggesyion donutninja..
What about soundwise, especially for brass section..?
Any comments..?
donutninja

Post by donutninja »

Sounds great, as far as keyboard brass goes. I have the Brass SRX expansion board which makes it sound even better and gives you many more choices. I believe the Stage uses a hybrid of the Fantom X and Sonic Cell sound engines, but I could be mistaken.
junoguy

Post by junoguy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z31PWwaOZbk

Watch this...this is for Logic Pro. it is 16 part compatible.
junoguy

Post by junoguy »

donutninja wrote:dbsch,

Go for the stage if you need the 16 part multi-timbral. It's got 76 keys (which really comes in handy when you need many different zones/layers), but is still light. The keybed is much better than the G or Gi, so it's easier to play. 2 SRX expansion slots make it easy to expand to suit your needs.

Another great feature is the ability to play .wav and .mp3 files directly from a thumb drive, with the click of a button. If the G is not available, then the stage is certainly comparable, and looks like it will do what you need.
Stage has good specs but the GI sounds better...fidelity is outstanding due to new converters. Plus it has fresher waveforms.
dbsch

Post by dbsch »

Well,
First of all thams for all comments.
Few days ago I had a chance to have a quick test for boht Stage & Gi at a music shop.
They were plugged in a small roland keyboard amp but I can't remember what it was.
I can say;
Juno Stage has a better keyboard
Juno Gi has more impressive sounds ( guess due to live set thing which combines 4 "tones" together"
Still I couldn't decide:(
I am checing the manuals of both every day and noticed something..I will try to explain and ask your opinions..
Both manuals have a part of " how JUNO is organised..."

For J_Stage: Basic sound is called "patch" and a patch consists of 4 "tones"
For J-Gi: Basic sounds are "tones" and each live set is up to 4 tones ( not patches) where you can split, layer vice versa..

So in this point of view; a patch is richer than a tone.

The question is ;

Is the "patch" in a Stage is euqal to a "tone" in Gi? ( Maybe new name of pacth in Roland is "tone"
or
Is the sound quality of a " tone" in Gi is more or less equal to a "patch" in Stage..

I am now more onto Gi but have somen doubts about single sound quality of "tone"s i GI..
Coz I will use splits a lot and do not want splits sound thin...

Hope you understand what I mean..
Sorry for my English again..
mgmg4871

Post by mgmg4871 »

You can split and layer at least 2 tones. You still get a good sound. Remember all the livesets do not use four layers but they still sound good.