Juno GI Editor Software?

Forum for JUNO-Gi
yamahaforums

Re: Juno GI Editor Software?

Post by yamahaforums »

Happily, they are not that stupid. I received a response yesterday and it's being passed to the UK product manager.
Yatris

Post by Yatris »

Well, let me drop you all an idea. Some time ago i've investigated how Juno series editors are organized and found out all of them have some kind of skin which you see on screen and huge html script under it. see below few starting lines from Sonic Sell script. So, actually by adjusting script you can make software to work with any synth model. I tried to change few params for SonicSell and it stars to recognise Juno G data. So you can try same approach. But be aware, midi spec of GI seriously different to prior models and there will be hell of work to do. Might be J80's editor will be closer when released and if released.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Shift_JIS"?>
<script>
<struct>
<type>FileModel</type>
<name>fm</name>
<address>00 00 00 00</address>
</struct>
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Thanks for the info Yatris. I had thought of looking into modifying the Juno Di editor myself but wanted to hear what Roland had to say first. After all, they would be in a much better position to modify it than I am but it's definitely worth a go if all else fails.
GiftedRecordsUK

Post by GiftedRecordsUK »

WELL - I am gutted....
I SO wish I had seen this post beofre buying my Gi which arrived yesterday.

Coincidentally, I wanted a MOX6, but when I googled reviews on it I came across Saul's review on Yamaha forums. I ALWAYS buy from andertons UK for this same reason, and your experience with the MOX6 was enough to convince me to buy the Gi, which I'm now gutted about...... I was convinced because I've always had roland so believed I would be disappointed. I own a Fantom G6, a Soniccell, a GAIA, an SH-201 and an FP-4 from the current Roland range so figured the Gi maybe just right. Plus Andertons had it on sale at £750 so a good £150 cheaper than the MOX6.

I have a studio, so don't need the recorder, and was going for the stage originally, because of the srx cards etc, but the rep assured me that the Gi would be a better buy in the long run.

Does the stage come with an editor?
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Sorry to hear that my review prompted you to buy something your now regretting. The Gi is a great keyboard but the lack of a software editor is a real pain in the ass.

Like you I don't use the audio recorder so really I could have gone with the Di and had the bonus of the software editor.

Since my last post here I have been in contact with the Senior Product Manager for Roland UK and it's pretty clear now that Roland WILL NOT be producing an editor for the Gi. Of course they never said they would so technically we can't complain that they have in some way reneged on something. I guess we wrongly just "assumed" there would be one because there was one for the Di.

Reading between the lines there is also unlikely to be an editor for the Jupiter 80 so if anyone is looking to buy one of those and you really "need" a software editor I suggest you look elsewhere or just be happy with it as it is.

I suppose the moral of this story is you should always buy a keyboard for what it is now, not what you hope it might be in the future.

By the way, if you bought from Andertons you can always exchange your Gi for something else so no real loss there? I was way past the 30 days before I discovered the editor was not going to happen but still, I do love the sound of the Gi and really that is the main thing.
GiftedRecordsUK

Thanks Saul - no worries. I actually bought both these keyboards on the interest-free finance scheme from andertons, so I don't know hwere an exchange would leave me??? or even if it's possible.

I haven't even swqitched in on as yet, so perhaps I'm being hasty, but my other option would be an ebay sale! I'm not sure about that as I'd lose £ for sure, but I reckon I'd be able to buy the stage for the same price, especially as mine is boxed...
GiftedRecordsUK

by the way, I don't think I'd have been happy with the Yammy either so don't blame your review! I suppose all i need is some good sounds for my compositions in the studio (that I hope are at least tweakable) and my gaia can handle the more complex edits etc... and get some playing pleasure live out of the Gi.

A couple of questions though-
1. I know my Gi has a 'song player' so it will play any tracks I make on my computer, but will it read midi files as well?
2. Would I be better off with the stage?
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Yeah the song player does read midi files. It's very useful as a backing track if your out and about or perhaps just want to jam along with something :)

I would say the Juno Stage is the better of the two keyboards as long as you don't need the audio recorder...which I think we have established now, most of us don't LOL. the Stage gives you more keys, two SRX expansion slots and very importantly, a software editor! You also get some of the things the Gi has such as the song player and phantom power on the mic input. Not sure if it has a mixed Audio/Midi interface though, although again that would not be essential to many.

Oh one thing though. Whereas the sound engine in the Juno Gi is based on that of the Fantom G I think given that the Stage can take the old SRX cards it's sound engine must be based on that of the Fantom X. Not in itself a bad thing. I have had two Fantom X6's and they sounded great. Guess it just depends on your own personal preference.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

yamahaforums wrote:Yeah the song player does read midi files. It's very useful as a backing track if your out and about or perhaps just want to jam along with something :)

I would say the Juno Stage is the better of the two keyboards as long as you don't need the audio recorder...which I think we have established now, most of us don't LOL. the Stage gives you more keys, two SRX expansion slots and very importantly, a software editor! You also get some of the things the Gi has such as the song player and phantom power on the mic input. Not sure if it has a mixed Audio/Midi interface though, although again that would not be essential to many.

Oh one thing though. Whereas the sound engine in the Juno Gi is based on that of the Fantom G I think given that the Stage can take the old SRX cards it's sound engine must be based on that of the Fantom X. Not in itself a bad thing. I have had two Fantom X6's and they sounded great. Guess it just depends on your own personal preference.
The Old SonicCell gives you all the Stage gives, except the Keyboard... in the €350,00- €500,00 range. Just buy an average Keyboard controller with aftertouch, and you will have a set even better than the Stage... Just a thought.

Regarding the Juno-Gi, well...definitely it is NOT the replacement for the Juno-G !! as it's more a Stand alone synth with an Audio capture feature.

The Live set/upper/Lower approach, the 8 Track (64 V-Track) Audio recorder, and the Recorder Effects section (that can be added to the 2x MFXs), and the Song Player can be handy for quick capture of ideas for song composers, Garage bands and alike.

By not having a proper sequencer, a Sampler and aftertouch (that seems to be a must for the majority of performers these days), makes it less useful, but still a very nice stand alone synth.
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

According to Roland, the Juno Gi is not a synth! That's a LOT of money for a rompler with flash ram recording. Remember folks, the recording goes to an SD card slotted in the back so really, it's no better than hooking it up to a computer and recording into that. In fact the computer is more flexible and has limitless tracks PLUS MIDI of course.

I think Roland dropped the ball with the Juno Gi. It sounds great and I'm happy with that but "I" bought the wrong keyboard. Didn't think it through. I definitely do not need the on board audio recorder. Have not used it since I bought the keyboard so that was a complete waste of time.

It is light, very portable and can run on batteries...none of which makes a blind bit of difference to me as the keyboard spends it's entire life sitting in front of my mac.

In hindsight I could have gone for the Stage or perhaps the Di. At least both of those have editors!
lucartl

Post by lucartl »

So is this the end of it?

There isn't going to be an editor for the gi?

Is a definitive thing, or there's hope?

Regards.

Luca
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

There's no hope Luca. According to Roland it's something to do with the way the Juno Gi was designed. It's not just a Juno Di with an audio recorder tacked on. Although they "look" similar that's as far as it goes.

I'm not sure who Roland had in mind when they created the Juno Gi. The sound set is fine...well I like it anyway, it's just the fact that you can't edit and add to those sounds via a software editor that limits it greatly. Roland have said it is NOT a synth. So is it just a rompler? Kinda expensive for a box of sounds ?

As much as I love Roland I think my next board maybe a Korg. I just can't be doing with these sorts of limitation.
waynwizzyman

Post by waynwizzyman »

I just got my Gi and am SHOCKED that there's no editor !
This is not right.
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

waynwizzyman wrote:I just got my Gi and am SHOCKED that there's no editor !
This is not right.
Yeah I know what you mean. Seems we all just took it for granted in these days of software integration the Roland would put out an editor. I guess if your looking at Roland for future products and you really want to edit via your computer then asking about a software editor should be the first thing on the list.

Up to this point I had been a long time fan of Roland but to be honest it's kind of soured the relationship. Just thinking about it now I realized I have not switched on my Juno Gi in nearly two weeks :(

I don't blame anyone but myself though. Should have thought it through more. So it's a lesson learned for me.

My advice would be if you don't need that audio recorder, sell the Juno Gi and buy the Di instead. You'll have money left over and a software editor into the bargain.
affonsoamerico

Post by affonsoamerico »

[quote="GiftedRecordsUK"]WELL - I am gutted....
I SO wish I had seen this post beofre buying my Gi which arrived yesterday.

Coincidentally, I wanted a MOX6, but when I googled reviews on it I came across Saul's review on Yamaha

Same thing for me. Reading all these comments I regret I bought my Juno Gi. I use to have Korgs Workstations (N264) and I was very happy with them. Anyhow, after a few years out of a stage I decided for this Juno Gi and I am really sorry for that. I like the live presets but the lack of an editor is a mistake.