JUNO GI HAVE SOUNDS FROM JUNO G?

Forum for JUNO-Gi
dmoneyproductionz

JUNO GI HAVE SOUNDS FROM JUNO G?

Post by dmoneyproductionz »

i was just wondering.....does the juno gi have some sounds that are also on the juno g? i am looking for a certain sound from the juno g called " Sweet Theramax" and i checked the juno gi's patch list in pdf and found a preset called " Theramax" under Synth leads but i dont know if its the exact same sound..can someone with a gi check and see if its the same sound or close enough sound as the "Sweet Theramax" sound in this juno g video that starts at 2:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwSRZIZfjVs

on the gi its titled just theramax i guess and i dont want to purchase the juno g because i have no need for the features as i do most things in a daw
yamahaforums

Re: JUNO GI HAVE SOUNDS FROM JUNO G?

Post by yamahaforums »

Yeah it's basically the same sound. At least it sounds the same to me.

A few things you should be aware of though. Unlike the Juno G the Gi has no midi sequencer and no user sampling. It also has no software editor and according to Roland it wont ever get one! That has some serious implications on your ability to edit the existing Juno Gi sounds. It also means you can't create sound sets which you keep in librarian software on your computer and upload to your Gi as and when needed.

If you don't "need" the audio recorder, go for the Juno Di. That's what I should have done.

By the way. The Juno G's sound set is based on the Fantom X whereas the Juno Gi and Juno Di are based on the Fantom G and very good they are too. I had the Fantom G before the Gi and there really is no noticeable
difference in sound quality.
junoguy

Post by junoguy »

Juno G was far better designed than the Juno GI. Juno G was a proper 'workstation' synth as yamahaforums posted above.

Juno G had the following advantages:
- 16 channel MIDI sequencer (you can even edit the notes via piano roll!!)
- Programmable arpeggiator (fun to program!)
- 4 track audio recorder (this is the only area where the new GI is better - however, it s not a disadvantage since I found 4 tracks more than enough for recording external sources)
- 3 MFX (instead of 2 MFX on the Juno GI - the third MFX on the GI is only on the audio recorder - this is stupid - why didn't they give user the flexibility)
- Sampling (not multilevel, but it has full sample edit and is great for vocals, live guitar/bass, drums etc)
- Performance mode where you can have 16 MIDI channels that can be routed to the MIDI sequencer in the Juno G
- Computer editor
- Waveform editing and detailed editing on the internal screen.

Juno GI is imo poorly designed. Many disadvantages:
- You can get 16 MIDI channels but only to an external computer in MIDI Control Mode.
- There is NO performance mode - its substituted with LIVE mode that is not as straightforward for MIDI.
- The USB key song player is very useless.
- The BOSS recorder is IMO also useless because I always use a laptop or mac for recording.
- NO sampler.
- I also hate the convoluted interface where you can't change oscillator waveforms in edit mode.
- There is NO computer editor to edit the voices.
- As I said earlier, you only have 2 MFX instead of 3 for Multitimbral MIDI...the 3rd MFX can only be used with the internal audio recorder.
- AND THE KNOBS SUCK: there is only EQ, cutoff resonance. the Juno G had a beautiful ADSR Cutoff/Resonance knob with the proper silk screen designation of the envelope. Even God won't know why they changed this.

That being said, the only 3 advantages of the GI I see over the G:
- The GI has fresher waveforms (128MB) while the G had only 64MB (though you can expand it with an SRX card on the G).
- The other advantage of the GI is the sound is a bit cleaner and livelier due to the new converters. You can get similar on the G through proper effects routing...so not a really big concern.
- The last advantage is GI's USB acts to channel audio (audio interface, 16 bit, 44.1khz) while the Juno G only had analog outs (no digital). I would still prefer the Sonic Cell's audio interface (up to 24 bit, 96 khz).

I am still rubbing my head as to why Roland made such a dubious design move!
delirium

Post by delirium »

junoguy wrote:Juno G was far better designed than the Juno GI. Juno G was a proper 'workstation' synth as yamahaforums posted above.
wrong - juno g has way worse overall sounds set, especially pianos and EP's.
Basically juno gi has juno stage soundset.
I had both keyboards and I'd prefer juno gi without hesitation. Of course midi
sequencer would be nice in guno gi but that's the only thing from juno g which I'd miss.
junoguy

Post by junoguy »

delirium wrote:
junoguy wrote:Juno G was far better designed than the Juno GI. Juno G was a proper 'workstation' synth as yamahaforums posted above.
wrong - juno g has way worse overall sounds set, especially pianos and EP's.
Basically juno gi has juno stage soundset.
I had both keyboards and I'd prefer juno gi without hesitation. Of course midi
sequencer would be nice in guno gi but that's the only thing from juno g which I'd miss.
I had a Juno G for which I expanded the soundset with the Studio SRX expansion...and everything sounded great. Juno G had great fat internal synth sounds.

If you read my post and actually verify it, you will know its a few things more than just the MIDI sequencer that's wrong with the GI...
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

The Juno Gi appears to have been one big cost cutting exercise. It sounds fine, I'm not knocking that but, it's feature set leaves a lot to be desired. My biggest gripe of course, as many of you will know, is the lack of any sort of software editor. That would not grate so much except the much cheaper and almost identical Juno Di has one, the Juno G had one, the Fantom G has one...which if Roland are to be believed it's engine resides in the Juno Gi and yet we Gi owners get nothing.

If I had thought it through properly I would have gone for the Di or a used Juno G. We live and learn :(
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Well mebbe we can live in hope to a real successor to the Juno G.. It is certainly needed.. But for the moment you can console yourself that you do not have to budget for a new display every two years..lol
yamahaforums wrote:The Juno Gi appears to have been one big cost cutting exercise. It sounds fine, I'm not knocking that but, it's feature set leaves a lot to be desired. My biggest gripe of course, as many of you will know, is the lack of any sort of software editor. That would not grate so much except the much cheaper and almost identical Juno Di has one, the Juno G had one, the Fantom G has one...which if Roland are to be believed it's engine resides in the Juno Gi and yet we Gi owners get nothing.

If I had thought it through properly I would have gone for the Di or a used Juno G. We live and learn :(