Whi i Still Have Mi Gi

Forum for JUNO-Gi
GiJo

Whi i Still Have Mi Gi

Post by GiJo »

My 30 day trial with the Juno Gi ended a few days ago and I decided to keep it. It just sounds so good to me. Very crisp and very clear. The 8 track recorder is a snap to use and it's effects are great. Using the guitar simulations with the guitar live sets really brings them to life. The acoustic pianos are very good, much better than anything close to the Gi's price range. Each category has a some really outstanding live sets and even the real cheesy ones still sound punchy because of the audio quality. I read every review I could find before buying and each reviewer liked different live set categories. Some liked the woodwinds/strings, some ac/elc pianos, some ac/elc guitars, etc. I know that most on this forum don't like the drums, but I do. They are extremely present and live sounding in the mix and sound like the real thing to my ears. And those classic Roland beatbox sounds are available as well. Also, any of the drumsets can be modified very quickly - adjusting decay to tighten up the toms and adding/subtracting compression and so on. And I really do like the D/beam. It feels more natural using it to bend notes with saxes and guitars and raising/lowering the volume for strings. You can also use it to start/stop the recorder along with many other functions too numerous to mention. The song player works well as do the midi controller features. For me though it's all about the suberb audio fidelity and the Gi has it. I tried to bounce tracks into oblivion on one song and after many, many instrument and vocal overdubs everything still sounded good (bloated, but good). I'm more
focused on songwriting/song demoing than sound design, so the lack of an editor does not bother me.
There's lotsI can do onboard. The lack of a realtime sequencer does bother me though, even just a one track with overdub and quantize that syncs to the recorder would work. Especially for doing real time drumtracks and baselines. Also, midi sync with the recorder and an 'all tracks' editing option would be nice. Oh, and a solo button and location button as well. Anyway, I'm very glad I still have my Gi.
flyingace

Re: Whi i Still Have Mi Gi

Post by flyingace »

Thanks for your post, I just posted whether I made the right choice and I wished I'd read your post first! I feel much better now! Thanks!
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

It's horses for course with the Gi. For some it will be everything you need and for others it will be lacking in too many important area's. The important thing is it does what "YOU" need it to do and that's all that counts :)
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Just thought I'd add to this post now that I've owned my Gi for a couple of months. Last night I sat down with it and recorded a song. My USB interface is at the factory for recall repairs and I was jonesing for laying down some tracks. I have yet to travel with my Gi, which is the only time I thought I'd ever use the built in recorder and mic/phantom power...but...

I had such a good time with it. I did a drum pattern arrangement, laid down a stereo piano part, strings, upright bass, some additional backing parts and then did my two vocal tracks. Albeit the vocals sound much thinner then what I usually can do on my DAW thru my Lexicon interface, but that might be due to my inexperience using the Juno's onboard compression and EQ.

All in all it was such an easy and inspiring experience which makes me really really know that I got the right keyboard for my needs.

I had originally bought a Juno-G, but quickly found it's programming to be counter-intuitive to my abilities and needs. I didn't want to have to program the thing, i just wanted to use it mainly as a sound producer, but also as a portable songwriting device. I can now see that when I do travel with it, it will do everything I ask it to!

Bravo and brilliant! Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that these keyboards were not received with as much enthusiasm by the public, as seen here with the lack of activity on the forum (or maybe it's coz the demographic it was designed for bought them and they don't use this kind of forum for their needs), which is a shame. It's nice to know that Roland was thinking about multiple needs, uses and markets when creating this. I think the big mistake was the confusing Juno name. They should have just created a whole new segment or carried over the BR name into keyboards from their line of digital recorders!
rentavibe

i need a juno gi expert to hire!

Post by rentavibe »

i am new to the juno, i want to produce a track and learn it more efficiently, not good with manuals, would prefer a virtual session, you walk me through it, and i will pay you thru paypal...i learn quickly, but i hate manuals...Anybody up for it? email Lisa at rentavibe@aol.com and put Juno Gi Expert in the subject.
thanx
junoguy

Post by junoguy »

I agree with the sound quality but I have decided to boycott the Juno GI because of how many important features they omitted from the music-composition palette. Its not so much of the lack of sequencer and sampler that bothers me (compared to Juno-G) but rather the lack of sound editing (SOUND EDITIOR, INTERNAL WAVEFORM EDITOR)...that is so important. Without that, I feel like a painter without a brush but with a beautiful palette of colors.

Sorry Roland...hope you guys do it right next time.