So I sold my Juno-G and got a Gi

Forum for JUNO-Gi
flyingace

So I sold my Juno-G and got a Gi

Post by flyingace »

All in all the G was a wonderful unit, but I'm a guitarist and songwriter looking for a way to jot down ideas, looking for great sounds I can use now that are close enough with no desire to program or add the "latest" sounds. I'm not into dubstep or electronica. I use GarageBand or Logic Express (now) when I'm wanting to record. I'm not trying to be a rock star or put out albums. I mainly play in my home music room for pleasure and am not currently in a band but will be in the future playing multiple instruments (guitar, piano/keys, ukulele, some bass) and singing primarily. I'm not into MIDI really. Not even sure how to use it. I have a Korg SV-1 as my main stage piano with 88 weighted keys that I love.

I mainly want a synth sound (pads, occasional lead sounds) and some of that old D-50 fantasy, Juno 106 strings, etc. Looking for very typical Roland-ish sounds from the 80s but some of the fun arp/groove/beats of current music to add texture to my compositions.

I sold the G because, as kick@ss as it is, I just don't have the time to learn how to use it. It's a monsterously complicated and capable machine. I need simple.

Question is: Will the Gi do that for me? Aren't I the EXACT customer they created it for? (Hence why no editor or Midi Seq.?)

Thanks all!
Patrik

Re: So I sold my Juno-G and got a Gi

Post by Patrik »

hi there,
I have G for 5 yrs. I do not own Gi but I was considering a buy. after all reviews, videos etc. I decided to stay by G. I make music on my own too (I m not guitarist altough use mainly DST guitar sounds) and G meets all requirements I need includig vocals recording and mastering. But the main thing I want to mention is that G is not so complicated as it seems. I think all boards need time to learn how to use them. For your purposes I don t think Gi is the one. But it must be your decision.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

I got it last wednesday, after a few hours I was up and running, modifying sounds, setting up arp and chords, having a great time! This thing is soooo easy to use, I've barely had to crack the manual! I love using the 8 track recorder, it's super easy to use and intuitive. I love using the rhythm pattern setup to construct a whole song with intros, breaks, fills, etc! I never was one to mess too much with midi or sequencers.

My first recordings are a little rough and I'm too embarrassed to post yet but I can see after a few weeks with this time, I'll have my ideas recorded and I'll share!

LOVE IT! I now see why roland made the Gi, it's for people like me that want something that will be easy to learn, intuitive and sounds good. For people like me that aren't looking to program or do major sequencing projects and just want a good keyboard to play, perform, record ideas, write songs, etc. It's a shame they named it the Juno Gi, it's nothing like the G at all (which totally is a powerful machine for so little money). They should have put this LCD on the G, then renamed this Gi to something else like SongStation.

I actually have enjoyed using the song player to play along with songs and my daughters have loved using the center cancel function this weekend to do "karaoke" with their friends. Even they were able to figure this keyboard out pretty quick.

SO, all in all, I'm happy with my purchase. Of course I didn't have to pay full price which helps, not sure i"d be as happy if I shelled out 1K for it, but 500 bucks was just right!
yamahaforums

Post by yamahaforums »

Glad to hear your happy with the Gi. Also glad to hear you didn't pay full price for it. If you only paid $500 then it was an absolute bargain but at list, it's way over priced. Essentially it's a rompler with an audio recorder tacked on. For the money it's just not worth it, at least not for me.

I can see where Roland were going with it but I think they missed the mark. I'm sure they aimed it at the musician on the go but these days there are much easier and more powerful ways to record on the move.

For me the fact that you can't load in new sound sets or use a software editor to manipulate the sounds that are there makes it a very expensive sound module. Yeah I should have thought it through before buying so I can't blame Roland for that. I do however blame them for calling it the Juno Gi and marketing it as an evolution of the Juno G in which it most certainly is not.

The Juno Gi does sound good and it looks nice but I made the wrong decision. For others though it will be absolutely perfect :)