How deeply can you edit on the Gi?

Forum for JUNO-Gi
EricWatkins

How deeply can you edit on the Gi?

Post by EricWatkins »

I used to own a Fantom Xa. I wish I hadn't sold it because I thought that it was pretty darn amazing. Anyway, I thought at one time, that I had heard that the Juno G was basically the Fantom Xa synth engine repackaged. But then I also hear conflicting stories on the editability of the Gi. I understand that there is no editing software and I'm ok with that. I actually like to be able to do all the dirty work from the front panel. I just want to know; how editable is it from the front panel? I mean, can I select different wavs for individual patches, etc? I like to be able to roll my own. If it's closer to a preset machine, I may have to wait till I can afford another Fantom. Thanks :)
yamahaforums

Re: How deeply can you edit on the Gi?

Post by yamahaforums »

The Juno Gi is "based" on the Fantom G engine. I had a Fantom G so was able to compare the two and it does sound very similar in terms of sound quality. Also had a Fantom XA myself by the way and yes, it is an excellent keyboard. In many ways it's actually better than the Juno Gi. It's far more editable, it has a slot for an SRX expansion card, sampling, midi sequencer and of course the XA has a software editor so you can do some real in-depth editing of sounds and of course it's a LOT cheaper as a used bargain. I think I only paid £250 for mine when I had it.

Honestly, if your into creating your own sounds I would leave the Juno Gi alone. It's not a synth..and Roland said that not me. It's a very focused rompler and for some people it will fit the bill just perfectly. In my opinion it was a retrograde step and Roland would have been far better off improving on the Juno G.