Sync Juno Gi with BR1600CD digital recorder?

Forum for JUNO-Gi
dandroid

Sync Juno Gi with BR1600CD digital recorder?

Post by dandroid »

Hi, ok guys please go easy with me as I am but a simple guitar player and new to the world of MIDI and synthesisers.

I have been using a Boss BR1600CD digital recorder for the past 6 years and I am very happy with the results and its ease of use. I recently decided to buy a synth to add a bit more interest to my recordings new and old. When I was researching what to buy I came across the Juno GI which seemed to answer all my requirements and being used to Boss products it seemed intuitive to go with a Roland product.

Ok so my research was probably flawed as I expected this to be a simple operation but the manual seems to say otherwise. My BR1600CD can be time synced with all other BR series recorders and other MIDI devices supporting MTC, as all the videos I have watched online say that the Juno Gi has essentially got a BR800 recorder bolted onto it I assumed it would have the same MIDI abilities. I do not want to do anything clever just sync the clocks together then use the Juno’s audio output jacks into 2 channels of my BR1600 giving me a few more channels to play with.

Does anyone know of a way to make this work or what is the best work around for me? I am not bothered about live playing, this board is essentially for my home studio so I can use the bundled software but was hoping for a simpler method.

If not possible does anyone also know of any plans that Roland might have to make the recorder on the Gi MIDI controllable in the future, i.e. via a software update?

I will probably end up using the bundled Sonar sequencer to build up my synth tracks and sync this with my BR1600CD, would this be a simple operation? It kind of makes the recorder in the Gi redundant and makes me wonder if I should have gone for an alternative synth as I feel like I may be paying for something which has no use to me:-(

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.
kmtaylor

Re: Sync Juno Gi with BR1600CD digital recorder?

Post by kmtaylor »

If you're happy to use the Juno as the transport master, a possible solution is to incorporate a computer in the mix. This way, you can use my transport syncer to control a sequencer that outputs MTC commands to your BR1600CD. Not ideal but it will work.

Let me know if you need more info.