Recording the electric guitar on the Juno Gi

Forum for JUNO-Gi
dibyachakravorty

Recording the electric guitar on the Juno Gi

Post by dibyachakravorty »

Dear All,

We (my band) are trying to record an electric guitar through the Juno Gi. We are using the Insert FX functionality on the keyboard to emulate distortion on the guitar. We found a few good solo tones but none for rhythm. Interestingly, some patches sound good for this purpose when the keyboard is played through a cabinet but horrible when played through earphones. We tried tweaking with a lot of parameters but were still unable to get a distortion tone which sounds good when played on the earphone. It is always muddy and noisy.

Anyone with the required knowledge on this subject, please help us!
donutninja

Re: Recording the electric guitar on the Juno Gi

Post by donutninja »

I don't have a Gi, but have you tried to add a cabinet emulation into the fx chain?
Here's a similar concept with an organ sound, using distortion and an amp model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd5kBjQuPmg

Who knows, it may help!
dibyachakravorty

Yes, obviously we tried that. We have seen all the videos on youtube that concern the Gi as well, and those did not help improving the sound on the earphone/headphone.

After a lot of experimentation, I would like rephrase the problem as follows: It is clear that a cabinet does something to the guitar sound so that it sounds smooth and processed (we use a pretty inexpensive Hartke cabinet). This is what is missing when you listen to it through the earphones. So how can we emulate the cabinet on the Gi? Is there some crucial tweak that we are missing?

P.S: We noticed that when the rotary effect is added to the FX chain and the speed (fast and slow) are both set to 0, the sound improves a bit. But this happens only if the keyboard and the audio input buttons are turned on simultaneously (and not when just the audio input is on) and the recording is done with two linked stereo channels. Any idea why the keyboard button being on makes a difference?
donutninja

Post by donutninja »

I'll talk to a guitar playing pro audio buddy of mine and get back to you
dibyachakravorty

@donutninja: Please do that. That would help us a lot.

One of my friends who is into guitar recording said the following:

"I looked up the Roland gi and I think the problem is that it's a guitar synth and probably not the best recording interface.... Guitar synths are terrible for rhythm cuz they"re working on midi signals that are being translated from ur strings so it can't respond like a regular pickup."

We do not have the knowledge to figure out whether what he's saying is right. Can anyone comment on the authenticity of it?
aardvark5

Post by aardvark5 »

dibyachakravorty wrote: "I looked up the Roland gi and I think the problem is that it's a guitar synth and probably not the best recording interface.... Guitar synths are terrible for rhythm cuz they"re working on midi signals that are being translated from ur strings so it can't respond like a regular pickup."
Your friend is mistaken and it's got nothing to do with being a Synth or MIDI signals.
Basically you are plugging the guitar into a GT guitar multi effects pedal with a normal input and the only processing being done is like a normal guitar pedal.
You just need to play around with the sounds because there are millions of variations.
Choose a sound that is close and then go into the editing.
kinzzz23

Post by kinzzz23 »

Hi i had the same problem there are three reverbs before your guitar effects if you can find them one of them you can change to ambience in audio input turn this up a bit it spreds the sound better in the sound modify change the reverb to hall i hope this helps