Giving my Gi another try...

Forum for JUNO-Gi
flyingace

Giving my Gi another try...

Post by flyingace »

after months of it being under cover and not turned on, I decided to take it off my two tier stand and put it in front of my computer and trying to "dive" into it/rediscover it one last time in an effort to bond with it before selling and buying a Korg Krome.

I love the roland sound and look best of all but... I guess I should explain my difficulty.

I'm primarily a guitarist but have played piano since I started playing guitar (28 years ago) and read manuscript. I've messed with many many keyboards over the years and know that the interfaces we have now are waaaay better than the tiny digital (if any!) readouts we used to have. I love that synth sound but really have no desire to program beyond simple tweaking to my liking. SO I got the Gi thinking it was a perfect solution for the sounds and abilities I have and need.

I just haven't had the time to devote to learning the complex order of things you have to do to get this thing to do what you want. There's a lot going on. The manual reads like...well...you know, a translated manual. Not very insightful to the novice.

To tell you the truth, I can understand from the manual where and how to do things but SOMETIMES I DON'T KNOW WHY I WOULD WANT ONE THING OVER ANOTHER. Its really that simple. I just don't know enough to decide if I want a preference or setting set on or off or whatever.

QUESTION:
Is there a video, like the one for the G, that goes thru all of these settings and options and gives some better indication of why or what I'd want this keyboard to do for me??
A tutorial?

Is there a "dummies" guide to it? I've combed the roland site, read the pdfs, watched what vids I can... etc.

HELP!
flyingace

Re: Giving my Gi another try...

Post by flyingace »

btw, I found the Tutorial online provided by sudosonic for $39.95 (YIKES!). Is it any good? worth it? or waste?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

flyingace wrote:btw, I found the Tutorial online provided by sudosonic for $39.95 (YIKES!). Is it any good? worth it? or waste?
Sure there is a tutorial. Here it is:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1126/support

Or directly to the download pages:

Workshop01 - meet the JUNO Gi
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/JUNOGiWS01.pdf

Workshop02 - Splits, Layers, Favorites, and More
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/JUNOGiWS02.pdf

Workshop03 - Using the JUNO Gi's live Audio inputs and Boss effects
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/JUNOGiWS03.pdf

Workshop04- Real time control in the JUNO Gi
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/JUNOGiWS04.pdf

Workshop05 - The digital recorder - Getting serious
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/JUNOGiWS05.pdf

Workshop06 - Using the JUNO Gi with a computer
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/JUNOGiWS06.pdf

Workshop07 - Working with the JUNO Gi's Boss insert effects
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/JUNOGiWS07.pdf

Have fun
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi flyingace,

With respect, I think you may be approaching the Gi from the wrong perspective. Rather than trying to work out what it can do, think about your specific needs. What song do you want to use it on? What sounds does that song need? Are they layered or split? etc

I'm coming at this from a Fantom X point of view, but these keyboards can do so much that it can be overwhelming. The best way really is to think about the problems YOU need to solve, then go through the relevant manual or workshop page(s) and solve YOUR problem.

Once you get a handle on one piece of functionality you'll soon think of new problems that your Gi can solve.

Enjoy it :)

Hope this helps,
Andy
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Andy Keys wrote:Hi flyingace,

With respect, I think you may be approaching the Gi from the wrong perspective. Rather than trying to work out what it can do, think about your specific needs. What song do you want to use it on? What sounds does that song need? Are they layered or split? etc

I'm coming at this from a Fantom X point of view, but these keyboards can do so much that it can be overwhelming. The best way really is to think about the problems YOU need to solve, then go through the relevant manual or workshop page(s) and solve YOUR problem.

Once you get a handle on one piece of functionality you'll soon think of new problems that your Gi can solve.

Enjoy it :)

Hope this helps,

Andy
I would take Andy's suggestion as very good tip too,

Just to add on the tutorials, just take a look to these simple but straightforward youtube videos on this page:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/detail ... page=video
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Thank you Paulo & Andy,

I'll go check out those PDFs. I've also found a few freebie tutorials that might help explain WHY I might want to use a feature and created a playlist on my youtube account.

I find I learn best by watching and then thinking about it, then doing it. That's why I was interested in the DVD but his price is too much for what you get. Too basic.

When I first got it, I really hit the ground running and figured a lot out...unfortunately I've slept since then and it's like starting all over again!
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

So far so good. I've been spending an hour or so with the Gi after work this week and I'm starting to discover/re-discover many great things. It has more useable sounds than I even knew, just a lot to try to keep track of. Thanks to some of the vids out there, i'm setting up my favorite banks to cull the ones I like and can use more often.

My daughter is eager to use it as well. Now that she is taking piano lessons, she made the comment that "hey, we can take the gi pretty easy when we travel can't we?" I have the gig bag made for it. Now I just need to get some rechargeable batteries and a smaller sustain pedal to make that kind of travel super easy!

I guess I'll need some kind of small battery powered amp as well, any suggestions. We would want to travel light but have something that sounds good too.

Thanks again for your responses and help!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

flyingace wrote:So far so good. I've been spending an hour or so with the Gi after work this week and I'm starting to discover/re-discover many great things. It has more useable sounds than I even knew, just a lot to try to keep track of. Thanks to some of the vids out there, i'm setting up my favorite banks to cull the ones I like and can use more often.

My daughter is eager to use it as well. Now that she is taking piano lessons, she made the comment that "hey, we can take the gi pretty easy when we travel can't we?" I have the gig bag made for it. Now I just need to get some rechargeable batteries and a smaller sustain pedal to make that kind of travel super easy!

I guess I'll need some kind of small battery powered amp as well, any suggestions. We would want to travel light but have something that sounds good too.

Thanks again for your responses and help!
I'm glad you took another look to this great synth ;-)

Regarding amps, take a look to the following:
Roland BA55, Mobile BA and Mobile CUBE battery powered amps.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/957/505
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Glad you're giving it another go, too. I've been getting reacquainted with my X7 following johnnykeys' stellar latest offering (no relation) and a new project I've just started on.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Great suggestions. I'll probably pick up a Roland BA or CUBE during the black friday sales here in the US.

One more thing and I only ask here b/c I don't know what to call it to search for.
On previous keyboards with sequencers or recorders, when you set it to record, it will begin recording when you start playing. Is this possible on the Gi? I can't find that info in the manual. I've read and re-read it several times. I've tried to look online and search here... nothing about it. Does the recorder start recording the second you hit play and it's not an option?

Thanks guys!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

flyingace wrote:Great suggestions. I'll probably pick up a Roland BA or CUBE during the black friday sales here in the US.

One more thing and I only ask here b/c I don't know what to call it to search for.
On previous keyboards with sequencers or recorders, when you set it to record, it will begin recording when you start playing. Is this possible on the Gi? I can't find that info in the manual. I've read and re-read it several times. I've tried to look online and search here... nothing about it. Does the recorder start recording the second you hit play and it's not an option?

Thanks guys!
This is not a sequencer, but an Audio Recorder, and like in all the other Boss Multitrack Recorders, you can use the Count IN function and also play with the Punch IN/OUT functions to help you out.

The Owners Manual in the Recorder Section explains all about on how to operate it. Check also the Tutorial "Recorder Function" on the Video Area of the Juno Gi's Product details on the Roland us website
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Thank you for giving me the "Count In" term, that helps a lot!

I promise I'm not one of those people that doesn't look for answers in the manual or search thru threads here or google it. But I am having trouble finding that feature to turn on in the Gi. :(

I remember making that setting on my Juno G. I watched the whole recorder function video, I went back to the workshop pdfs, i looked at my printed manual and the current download pdf, I even used the find function in acrobat to see if I could find it.

All I find is punch in info. Does the Gi not have a count in feature afterall? help!!

Thanks again!