Gi OR Gw8???Confused;Pls help....

Forum for JUNO-Gi
arung014

Gi OR Gw8???Confused;Pls help....

Post by arung014 »

Hi,
I am in some serious confusion and need some help asap...
I want to make music...I don't do regular gigs, but some nice tones to jam around and do some occasional playing solo would be real nice.....A good sequencer,....realistic tones,.....enough of functions(split layers and effects),portability, decent key bed all are preferred....Looking at gw8 Asian(all asian tones will come in handy for me) .....I'm pretty interested but not many asian tone reviews in youtube,............still the features are all useful.....i don't miss the arpeggiators......
I looked at the Gi Juno as well.....it seemed exceptional as a MIDI controller--band hub sort of thing-----cool...but my friends remark that getting around Gi is hard and cumbersome especially the sequencer....It would be great if somebody can chip with the pros and cons of these two with respect to music making primarily.....and occasional gigging needs......

NB:I've coined in on these two based on the price constraints,I would really like to pick either one of them...

Thanks in advance!!
tnicoson

Re: Gi OR Gw8???Confused;Pls help....

Post by tnicoson »

The Juno-Gi does NOT have a MIDI sequencer - period. It has an 8 track AUDIO recorder, but that is not a sequencer. It has a song player that will PLAY MIDI files (audio also), but that is also not a sequencer. It does not allow editing or recording of MIDI files. So, if a sequencer is a show stopper for you, then the GW-8 is the way to go. The GW-8 also has the backing track feature that is an intelligent arranger of sorts that will generate backing tracks in real time. So, it is sort of a one-man-bander. If you want backing tracks other than drums with the Juno-Gi, you need to arrange for them ahead of time from some external source.

The Gi uses the new LiveSet voice architecture rather than the old patch/performance method, but after a few hours with the board, you can catch onto it fairly quickly, and the Gi includes a separate 16 part multi-timbral sound set that can be played from the internal song player, an external MIDI sequencer, or from a PC DAW, so in that respect, it still is patch/performance oriented - just not from the keyboard.

I am not familiar enough with the GW-8 to discuss its pure SYNTH features and voices compared to the Juno-Gi, so I will leave that to the GW-8 owners to give you their advice.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

Ted
arung014

Post by arung014 »

Thanks bud for your quick reply....Being new to keyboarding I don't quite understand ur whole reply still I get the point....I am going with gw8....
Regards
AG
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

Regarding sounds, the GW8 has twice as much WaveROM (sample data) so that it has a larger selection of sounds than the Gi, especially in the world section. Regarding the quality of the sounds, most sounds should be on the same level, but the acoustic pianos are probably slightly better in the Gi (GW8 sounds except world section are taken from the SonicCell, but Juno Stage/Gi have improved pianos).

As stated, the Gi doesn't have a sequencer, but an audio recorder, which means you are not flexible in changing things after recording. With a sequencer, which stores midi files instead of audio files, you can change sounds, tempo and pitch later without any problems, and you can also have other instruments or sound modules play the sequencer file with its own sounds. With an audio file you cannot do most of these things.
florin2013

Post by florin2013 »

And the GW8-A has styles, meaning rhythm with autoaccompaniament , where you have intros (push it and some melody will sing in the chrod you take with your left hand) , fills (does a drums/instrument break fill and goes again to that main or to other main , main - a section where you have a bass line, and other instruments playinng along with you like backing band in the chord you take on the left, ending (a break and the rhythm stops.
it does have sequencer too.
it is very usefull when you don't have a drummer to gig with..
and the DI has audio traks, NOT SAMPLER, so don't mess it up.
And the GW-8 has about 80% of the Fantom-X sounds.
But it does sounds a little cheap.. it's not fantom.
I had it both, not I have a tyros and fantom-x7.